Iron Danger - Story Driven Tactical RPG

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Iron Danger is a story driven tactical RPG with simultaneous turns currently under development. There are some screenshots here and the developer has a twitter account for the game.

<blockquote class="twitter-video"> We've been asked a lot what engine we are using. This is the best day to tell that we are using @unity3d as it is #madewithunity Friday!

To make it even better, here is our fresh teaser trailer for you to watch & share.#IronDanger #indiedev #rpg #indiegame #gamedev #pcgaming pic.twitter.com/wxXMgFu2Ds

— Iron Danger (@IronDangerWorld) April 6, 2018[/quote]

Story

Epic Scale, Personal Stakes

Iron Danger is a fully story-driven game, in which the action flows from the choices of the heroes and the events that surround them. The fate of an entire world is in your hands, and you will grapple with cosmic magic, terrifying monsters, and colossal war machines to save it. But you're not a conquering warrior or master of sorcery by birth: you have to grow into your destiny step by step, and you can't do it alone. Along your journey, you're joined by companions with their own goals, backgrounds, abilities and personalities. They will guide and protect you, but also bring challenges of their own, and their lives are ultimately also in your hands. Together, you engage in epic struggles and make magical discoveries, but just as important are the relationships you form along the way.

Along the way, if you survive, Kipuna's magic grows stronger and more versatile, bringing new options and opportunities to combat. Of course, your other fighting abilities improve as well, and you have control over which of Kipuna's and the companion characters' stats you wish to upgrade. Instead of repetitively accumulating piles of experience points, however, character development is based on distinctive, level-specific challenges that each provide unique new skill upgrades. These challenges respond to your play style, with trade-offs between different approaches such as offense vs. defense and magic vs. stealth, so that your characters gain new abilities that reflect the way you choose to approach the game.

Gameplay

Fight - Die - Adapt

Iron Danger is a story driven tactical RPG with simultaneous turns. It is a streamlined, action-packed single-player game in which repetitive grinding is kept to a minimum and every moment advances the story. The player controls Kipuna and one of two individual companion characters in tactically challenging battles against a variety of different threats. At center stage in combat is the unique time shifting mechanic that represents Kipuna's magical influence over the flow of time. It gives the player the ability to rewind at any point with fraction-of-a-second precision, pinpointing strikes to enemies' unguarded moments, deflecting and dodging attacks exactly when they happen, synchronizing magical and physical attacks to overwhelm difficult enemies, and overcoming impossible odds through trial and error. Iron Danger challenges you to think of combat and puzzles from a different perspective: you may be an experienced gamer who knows all the tricks, but you've never played a game like this.
More information.

"simultaneous turns" ...and I'm out. Never seen a game where it worked or was fun.

That teaser trailer was rather...uninspired. I’m not convinced on this one yet.

"simultaneous turns" …and I'm out. Never seen a game where it worked or was fun.

Did you ever try Frozen Synapse and Frozen Cortex? I actually thought the simultaneous turns were pretty fun, and I found it quite addictive.

Did you ever try Frozen Synapse and Frozen Cortex? I actually thought the simultaneous turns were pretty fun, and I found it quite addictive.

I have the games in the library but did not try them yet. Might have to.

The last instance were it didn't work for me was Warlock of Firetop Mountain. For me it destroyed an otherwise great game.

I have the games in the library but did not try them yet. Might have to.

The last instance were it didn't work for me was Warlock of Firetop Mountain. For me it destroyed an otherwise great game.

I didn't try that one. I must say, I thought it worked well for those types of simplified and stylized tactical games, but I find it difficult to imagine how it would work in an rpg.

Heya all! Just giving heads up as noticed this thread. I'm lead programmer of Iron Danger, so if you guys have some questions, you can toss those to me here as well.

Heya all! Just giving heads up as noticed this thread. I'm lead programmer of Iron Danger, so if you guys have some questions, you can toss those to me here as well.

Hi Hepphep!
Thanks for dropping by!

Could you please elaborate a bit more on the combat system?
The rewinding time mechanism sounds interesting but I'm not sure how that would play out in-game. Is it so you can see the enemies actions and then just rewind to counter them? Is rewind limited somehow?

I'm actually more interested in the comic than in the game here. Doesn't mean it'll stay like that. ;)

Hi Hepphep!
Thanks for dropping by!

Could you please elaborate a bit more on the combat system?
The rewinding time mechanism sounds interesting but I'm not sure how that would play out in-game. Is it so you can see the enemies actions and then just rewind to counter them? Is rewind limited somehow?

Sure!

In practice it means that you can give commands for your party members and then play time forward (inside given timecap) and if things don't go as you wish you can rewind and change some of the commands. So, I think your description suits it quite well.
It sort of turns the battles bit more puzzle-like. More like finding a creative solution to nearly impossible feeling situations. This helps you get yourself out of most of the deadly situations. However, it also allows us to build challenges that that require you to think multiple steps forward to not play yourself in such a situation where there is a point of no return.
This also allows more finely grained control over simultaneous actions than usually, by being able to synchronize character actions in accuracy of fractions of the second.

Currently the amount of rewinding is not limited in any ways, but based on some pre-alpha testing group ideas & suggestions, we are planning to also make some tests with that.

The combat itself has lots of similarities to your usual turn based RPGs with tactically biased combats, such as Divinity Original Sin series. We are aiming to provide good possibilities to manipulate the battlefield as well as have lots of interactive components in the environment to provide lots of additional tactical options and support different kind of approaches.

We are currently on pre-alpha stage, so lots of the things are still subject to change during the development as we keep on finding out what is the most fun in the end.

I'm actually more interested in the comic than in the game here. Doesn't mean it'll stay like that. ;)

That's cool! I really love what the guys have done with the comic books so far. So, it is good to be interested of the comics, I'm their fanboy already! :D

But of course, let's try to get you to fall in love with whole Iron Danger world so much that you cannot resist the lure of the game either...

@hepphep;
Sounds good! I'm looking forward to some game-play vids.

I think the rewind mechanic could remove the frustrating effects (aka slashing at air) of other simultanous systems I have seen.

Back
Top Bottom