More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2021, 18:16
Just started this. Really enjoying so far.
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

June 23rd, 2021, 20:09
I should have got it at 20% off but I don't mind paying full price. I used to pay $50 for crpg's in the '90s when I was poor.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
+1:

June 24th, 2021, 03:14
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
I should have got it at 20% off…
STEAM summer sale starts tomorrow - hoping for even better discount.

Dave Allen

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

June 24th, 2021, 03:23
Originally Posted by Dave Allen View Post
STEAM summer sale starts tomorrow - hoping for even better discount.
It just came out. It won't be more than 20% off.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

June 24th, 2021, 20:38
Having just finished the first campaign, I'm actually a little bummed to find out how the legacy characters work.

It's not really the case that you can continue a character's story over the course of several campaigns. When a legacy character is recruited for a new campaign they are a new person with the same name and appearance and some of the same skills. Their relationships are forgotten and their age is reset.

It doesn't really make sense to me, and although I haven't yet dug into the legacy system (I only just started my second campaign), it doesn't really give me the feeling that I'm creating an ongoing saga for these heroes -- it's more as if I have a stable of clones to recruit from.
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

June 30th, 2021, 07:38
Originally Posted by Hexprone View Post
Having just finished the first campaign, I'm actually a little bummed to find out how the legacy characters work.

It's not really the case that you can continue a character's story over the course of several campaigns. When a legacy character is recruited for a new campaign they are a new person with the same name and appearance and some of the same skills. Their relationships are forgotten and their age is reset.

It doesn't really make sense to me, and although I haven't yet dug into the legacy system (I only just started my second campaign), it doesn't really give me the feeling that I'm creating an ongoing saga for these heroes -- it's more as if I have a stable of clones to recruit from.
I think how they do it is very smart. When you recruit a legacy character, their age isn't reset so much as you're seeing further adventures of theirs earlier in their lives. And of course given that they're not fully experienced, they don't have all of the abilities they gained throughout that life.

I mean, what's the alternative? All of my original characters were 50 odd years old at the end of the first campaign. Continuing their saga would mean that by the end of the fifth campaign they'd be like 200. Now that would be weird. The only other alternative is to vastly slow the rate of aging, but I like that we see them throughout their lifespans.

I'm early on in my second campaign, so I don't yet know firsthand if relationships are reset. I'm curious whether you knew that for sure when you wrote this post, or if you just assumed that because they were younger again. My first legacy recruit had a romantic relationship with another of my characters, and if/when I get the chance to bring him back, it'll be interesting to see if the game remembers they were together. She does have her crow wings and bear tattoos that she gained during my first campaign.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wildermyth - Review