Diablo 2 Resurrected - Reviews

Polygon has a review too:

Diablo 2: Resurrected is a gorgeous, flawed fossil
[. . .]
Diablo 2: Resurrected is a game of contrasts: It’s a solidly designed dungeon crawler with the trappings of an early 2000s game; it has incredible, intense performances from its actors but the entire plot is laughably silly; it’s made by a talented team of developers but trailing undeserved smoke from its troubled publisher.

The original Diablo 2 was the pinnacle of dungeon crawlers in 2000, but in its present form, it is more of a fossil. Vicarious Visions has done an incredible job of encasing it in amber. I loved my time with it, despite the flaws that are still visible through the shell. For better or worse, history remains.

I keep D2R installed, and it's insanely addictive, even though I very quickly bounce out of it after 1h. But shortly after I exit, I get an itch. And I try not to scratch it, but then I just jump into it for a little bit. And then I again feel like I'm wasting time.

And yeah, it's gorgeous.

Assigning a score to this kind of project is kind of weird and pointless. Are you scoring the game itself? You already did that years ago (unless you didn't exist back then, of course). Are you scoring the changes? I don't think anyone does that. I don't think anyone even has a frame of reference on how to do that. Are you aggregating the two? Are you re-reviewing it in the context of 2021?

Mostly these scores just end up being a "yep, it's still Diablo II and Diablo II is an 8/10 game" kind of thing and what value does that have? Maybe a little value to a person who never played or heard of Diablo II before, but how many people reading these reviews fall into that category?

I'd likely try it if it wasn't $40... that pricepoint is just silly.

I played [the original] D2 a couple years back and it was hella clunky. Some things, such as the UI, I can only assume the remaster has addressed. But I don't have such hopes for more gameplay-oriented clunkiness (such as how your stash isn't account-wide and you're forced into hamfisted workarounds to simply transfer items to another character). For me, D2 is one of those games best left in the past.

I played [the original] D2 a couple years back and it was hella clunky. Some things, such as the UI, I can only assume the remaster has addressed. But I don't have such hopes for more gameplay-oriented clunkiness (such as how your stash isn't account-wide and you're forced into hamfisted workarounds to simply transfer items to another character).

Well, the stash in D2R has a personal tab (only accessible from your currently played character) and three shared tabs which can be accessed from any of your online characters so at least that clunkiness is actually covered :) .

Assigning a score to this kind of project is kind of weird and pointless. Are you scoring the game itself? You already did that years ago (unless you didn't exist back then, of course). Are you scoring the changes? I don't think anyone does that. I don't think anyone even has a frame of reference on how to do that. Are you aggregating the two? Are you re-reviewing it in the context of 2021?

Mostly these scores just end up being a "yep, it's still Diablo II and Diablo II is an 8/10 game" kind of thing and what value does that have? Maybe a little value to a person who never played or heard of Diablo II before, but how many people reading these reviews fall into that category?
I'm already skeptical about scores in general, because there are so many sides of a game and the score has to be a weighted average, but the weighs can only be subjective. A score per feature / category is fine, or just a general impression in one paragraph. But just a number tells nothing to me.

Here they surely give a score for the general impression as if it were a completely new game, not a score for the changes. From the summary in a few of them, it seems to be the case anyway.

D2 was the best ARPG of all times. I'm afraid of getting the remaster.

If you only played it at release, during your teenage years, it was a wonderful experience.

giphy.webp

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I played Diablo 1 at release in my teenage years. I played D2 in my early 20s. Yes, they were wonderfully addictive twenty years ago. And, yes, they are clunky as hell by today's standards. As I stated previously, I replayed D2 just a couple years ago (to join some friends). The entire time, it was a tedious bore that I couldn't help but regret not playing something like Path of Exile instead. Of course, that was an unfair comparison - D2 is far older… but now, with a remaster, it is a totally fair comparison if you are looking to charge $40 for an antiquated nostalgia trip.

Well, the stash in D2R has a personal tab (only accessible from your currently played character) and three shared tabs which can be accessed from any of your online characters so at least that clunkiness is actually covered :) .
That's great to hear! More than I was expecting really. I honestly thought the "purists" would have squashed any such addition.

When you go up to the $60 tier, it becomes more worth it. As it also includes D3 and all the expansions. It's been nice to experience Diablo on the console and couch this time around.

Lately my ADHD hasn't let me get involved in anything deep, so other than the occasional Minecraft session with my daughter, I've been on a gaming break for the past year. This has been a nice way to scratch that itch again, as I can dive in for a few minutes or a few hours with no major compromises.

One of the ideas behind it being the same "game" is that you can still use your old saves. However it sounds like depending on the reception, there may be plans to do some more things with it?

I was going to pick up the game eventually but my boss just had his 30 hour save got corrupted randomly on the PS5. I don't have that kind of time these days so gonna pass for now.

This game is weirdly addictive. And I'm not a stranger to ARPGs at all - I've played Grim Dawn and Diablo 3 for years. But... I kinda missed Diablo 2 as I was into other games around the turn of the century.

I find myself continually going back to this remaster. Something about the grimness of it, the game pacing, just everything - works together for me. I find myself hopping out of other games to play this one. It's distracting me even from Pathfinder, which is surprising but probably has something to do with the bugs I've been encountering in PF.

I'm extremely glad they made this remaster because I am enjoying it like this for the first time and having an absolute blast. It's one of the most fun games I've played this year in terms of sheer addictiveness and "lean back in your PC chair with a controller" playability.

@Drithius; I didnt replay any recently and that's what left the original experience untouched ;)

It's an very good remaster, and it even includes a new set of excellent cinematics.

Of course, if you didn't like D2 back then, you won't like it now. The gameplay is identical.

Back
Top Bottom