RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2013 Voting

IMO, The "None" entry should not win anything, even if it gets the most votes. The poll is for registered readers of "RPGWatch" to vote for their favorite RPG. If Bioshock Infinite gets 10 votes and the "None" entry gets the rest (200?), then Bioshock wins.

One reason why "None" can't win is because some folks voted for "None" because they didn't play any RPGs this year. Some folks voted "None" because they played too few RPGs and felt it wasn't fair to rate the rest (I have voted this way over the years a number of times). And yes some folks voted "None" simply because they hated all the entries. So for all practical purposes, a "None" vote is really a null vote. It represents nothing in specifics. Finally, "None" was not a game whereas BioShock Infinite was.

Thus if Bioshock Infinite did win with its 10 votes while "None" got the rest, Bioshock Infinite is the favorite game of the Watch as represented by this poll - this year. Albeit with a grumpy electorate.
This opinion has been brought to you by Irrational Games and 2K games.
Fine purveyors of electronic media entertainment.

Why add a "none" entry if it is meant to nothing? For the appearances?

That and because you might not be able to select a total of 3 games and can now choose none for the others.

Last edited:
None shall pass!

I too would be interested in seeing how well 'none' fared in the vote. If nothing else it would point out to the developers that there are gamers who want a better RPG product.

It's sad that my top RPG's for 2013 is a remake from 2000, and a strategy game with some RPG elements(Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes).

But the 2014 games are a tough pick to narrow down to just three, at this point anyway.

2013:
1: SR:R
2: Eador (Not strictly speaking an RPG, but by far the highest amount of logged hours in this past year, and enough RPG elements to keep me entertained.)
3: Mars:War logs

2014:
1: POE
2: Wasteland 2
3: D:OS

Kickstarters FTW (although D:OS is only partially funded that way.)

The choices weren't hard, but I've never seen a list as intriguing as the one for 2014. Playing MMX now and enjoying it alot.

I vote MMX and Blackguards for 2013 ½

Already finished them :)

Given the late date and lackluster year for RPGs, I would've been fine with no 2013 GotY… But, since we're doing it, I like Stingray's suggestion that "None" should win.
Think about it… it would make a statement for an RPG site to crown NONE as GotY.

Dajjer said that "None" can't win because some of those voting that way didn't play any or very few RPGs in 2013. So what? I don't have to test drive a Mini Cooper to know that I'd hate it. If I didn't play a particular game last year, then it was probably because the buzz on the game was bad, and I didn't want to waste my time and money. After all, that's why many of us visit gaming sites, to get others' opinions (as well as offering our own) before purchasing a game. My point is, a vote for "NONE" is not a vote for "NULL", which is a non-vote. If we take the time to vote, we expect our votes to count!

I voted for the 2 games I spent time with this year - Avadon 2 and Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny. Both are very nice RPGs, and I feel they both are a breath of fresh air in the RPG genre. I really enjoyed them.

Didn't play any of the 2013 games, so no votes in that category. The tough one was most anticipated 2014. I finally chose Wasteland 2. It edged Divinity Original Sin and The Witcher 3 by a nose. But Eschalon Book 3 also is right there too.

1. BG2: EE (who cares that it's old, if it's the best on the list)

I don't think it should have been included just because it really isn't a 2013 game. I guess if someone loves the additional content enough then that would be a good reason to vote for it.

I voted for Conquistador and Van Helsing. I guess the games I've really enjoyed must have been from 2012 and earlier. 2013 was sort of disappointing. I vaguely remember voting on the most anticipated games at the beginning of 2013 and thinking it was going to be a great year. If we were able to vote for biggest disappointment I would put Chaos Chronicles.

2013 was bad. I didn't play most of those, and some that I did I'm hard pressed to consider an RPG (like BioShock.)

So for 2013 I did:

1. SRR - I did actually love this game, but it had zero competition really.
2. X-Com - I can BARELY consider this an RPG. Really enjoyed it, regardless.
3. State of Decay - I can BARELY SEE how somebody COULD consider this an RPG. Really enjoyed it, and it's closer to an RPG for me than Infinite, so...

For 2014, I'm trying to remember. It was REALLY hard and close to a fiveway tie for first. I THINK I settled on -

1. Dead State
2. Wasteland 2
3. South Park

But that felt very arbitrary, as there are 5-6 games that I am about equally anticipating... even discounting Banner Saga as I already played it.

Aarklash: Legacy - Isometric single player team tactical action fighting game
Avadon 2: The Corruption - Something from 1988
Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition - Something from 2000
Battle Of The Sands - WTF?
Bioshock Infinite - Escape the room meets Call of Duty?
Blood Knights - Isometric single player solo tactical action fighting game
Dark - Vampire Bloodlines on a tight-ass budget
Divinity: Dragon Commander - Total War meet Comedy Central
Driftmoon - Looks legit, a bit 1988 but seems normal
Drox Operative: Invasion of the Ancients - Galaga meets asteroids with leveling up
Eador: Master of the Broken World - Heroes of M&M/King's bounty clone
Eldritch - A minecraft basic RPG mod
Expeditions: Conquistador - Heroes of M&M/King's bounty clone with eating disorder
Legends of Aethereus - Lots and lots of running through vast empty areas to kill 1 monster
Legends of Dawn - Looks legit, seems to be the real deal, but bugs? but complete?
Mars War Logs - Thugs, bugs and stubble, but no game-bugs. Kind of escape the roomish
Paper Sorcerer - Something from 1980
Path of Exile - Diablo clone
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny HD - Wooden like a tree trunk
Sacred: Citadel - something from a 1992 arcade machine
Shadowrun Returns - Seems legit, steampunk falloutey RPG
Space Rangers HD - Capture the flag with robots?
State of Decay - Another zombie bashing exercise. Oh look, another zombie to bash, quite legit though
The Dark Eye: Demonicon - See Bloodknights
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Diablo clone
The Shadow Sun - ipad makes an RPG, seems legit, if you use a pad that is
XCOM: Enemy Within - I've no idea, looks like some version of warhammer to me.

I dunno, I haven't played any, but judging by various youtube videos I'd probably go for:

Driftmoon, Legends of Dawn, Shadowrun Returns

Because these ones just seem the ?most RPGey? I dunno?

Because these ones just seem the ?most RPGey? I dunno?

Then you should definitely add Avadon 2 :p

Personally I find Avadon 2 nicer to look at than the BG2 EE. But besides BG Avadon 2 is probably the most "classic" RPG out of this list. And it's not a remake.

Then you should definitely add Avadon 2 :p

Personally I find Avadon 2 nicer to look at than the BG2 EE. But besides BG Avadon 2 is probably the most "classic" RPG out of this list. And it's not a remake.

Yeah, I know man, both Avadon, paper sorcerer and Realms all have that 'real feel', but none of them really look edible, lets be honest about this. While looks aren't everything, there comes a point where you want to be looking at something nice when nice is so easily attainable, even on a relatively low budget. Avadon looks like it has the gameplay, but those graphics... they really are... c'mon man... lol

Really? So Avadon 2 is unplayable due to graphics? Don't think you'll find much agreement with that position here.

Also, not sure if you were trying to exaggerate or what, but Avadon 2's graphics are closer to 1998 than 1988. You must have never played a game from 1988 if you were serious.

1998…you know, during that few-year period where most of the greatest RPGs of all time were made.

Back
Top Bottom