Risen 2 - Play as a Pirate @ IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
IGN has a preview of Risen 2 from GDC, where they got to see the game. I'm not sure if the following quote should be taken literally, but if so, it looks like firearms have replaced bows and crossbows altogether:
The combat's changing around too. Gone are bows and arrows, replaced by firearms. Throughout the journey you'll get access to pistols, rifles, shotguns and even cannon. Melee combat will be an option as well if the idea of firing bullets in a game like this doesn't sit well with you, and a magic system will exist too, though will likely wind up being different than what was present in Risen. Piranha Bytes showed off a few very limited combat sequences and Dark Waters definitely has the look of a Piranha Bytes game, though the protagonist's arcing sword swings weren't quite as awkward-looking as they were in Risen.
More information.

While that would suck in the sense of continuity from Risen 1, but it makes sense otherwise. Where bow and arrow had to compete with firearms... well you Americans and Australians know best how that worked out...

Not much new info, but nothing I don't like so far - except perhaps a bit too much emphasis on the pirate-theme.

Generally these types of games are not very friendly to new players. They don't hold your hand through objectives, but require you explore, learn about the NPCs and the game world, and practice combat skills to excel. Past Piranha Bytes games have not been pick up and play experiences, and from the sounds of things Dark Waters won't be either, which I'm totally fine with. The studio is really good at what it does, as long as the game it winds up shipping isn't totally broken like Gothic 3.

*nods in agreement* - thank god!

i have enough trust in Piranha Bytes that they can do pretty much what they like in terms of guns and what have you. I'm sure Risen 2 will be awesome and personally I'm glad that they're trying something a little different. Plus I think the whole pirate theme will resonate with gamers and hopefully lift their profile and sales - they deserve it :)

so totally pirate...
crossbows would still make sense i think but anw, let's wait and see.

Eagerly looking forward to the pirate theme, but I don't understand why PB felt they had to get rid of bows entirely.

I'm not so sure that passage should be taken literally, either. It's the kind of sloppy writing trap journalists fall into when writing colloquially and forgetting that they're also supposed to keep their prose accurate. Can't say for sure, but I'd look at it with a skeptical eye. Saw that kind of thing all the time. I used to be a journalist, although I'd like to think I was better than that. :p

And, yes, the pirate theme does resonate with this gamer. I've never fully gotten over my childish desire to be a pirate. :p

Actually, bows competed successfully with guns for decades if not centuries. If this is truly an "early guns" scenario then the guns would be heavy, clumsy, slow, and unreliable.

Yeah but the guns they show are relatively advanced flintlock weapons. Also in gameplay terms, a one-minute "load the musket" minigame seems rather unlikely. But we'll see I don't really mind either way.

Yeah but the guns they show are relatively advanced flintlock weapons. Also in gameplay terms, a one-minute "load the musket" minigame seems rather unlikely. But we'll see I don't really mind either way.

I would so like to play a game with early muskets as weapons. :-D

So I assume it will be released on september 19 then.
I wonder if it will feature any three headed monkeys.
;)

Really looking forward to this game. I think it's good to move away from the tired old sword & sorcery scenery. I wonder what kind of magic this game will feature, though. Something voodoo related maybe?

*raspy whisper*
Voodoo...

*gives you the stinkeye and points a severed chicken's foot at you, stroking it with his thumb and silently mouthing a hex*

You ever seen a pirate with a crossbow?
You ever seen a pirate?

Also,
pirogrepistcross.jpg

Generally these types of games are not very friendly to new players. They don't hold your hand through objectives, but require you explore, learn about the NPCs and the game world, and practice combat skills to excel.
The Horror! Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Regarding pirates' weapons, here's a short little article, with its sources noted at the bottom:

http://www.suite101.com/content/pirate-weapons-a87300

An on-topic quote:

"Bows and crossbows were more easily reloaded than most firearms of the day, and were excellent for sniping."

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see so much opposition to guns, actually.

I think a pirate game would be weird with traditional bows.

Back
Top Bottom