D&D Classics (gog): Where start?

Sanglon

Watchdog
I quoted the release on gog of the forgotten realms archives, but didn't quoted the other, it was a surprise to see the current sale pack with all this stuff.

I played the full series of pool of radiance more or less at release and replay it would appeal me if I hadn't already try through the Mac version some years ago, and get bored by copy protection and some other problems and quickly gave up.

I also replayed recently Eye of the Beholder but didn't finished, bored by the lack of automap. Seems there's perhaps something for the DOS version:
http://www.indieretronews.com/2012/12/hot-news-eye-of-beholder-1-dos-version.html

Other than that it's fresh territory for me, the only one I wanted play at release but never was Dark Sun. Didn't noticed the other much until much later as Krynn series.

So I wonder which one would be the most streamlined, or perhaps with the less worse interface. Where (try) start for a modern non nostalgic player?

I tried anyway Pool of Radiance with the shock of facing a key only game. In case you wonder why it was a shock for me, a brave hero made a video of the Mac version, most stuff is done with the mouse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FxXSxU0zc8

For the multi windows approach it was classic in Mac games, yeah often Black&White only too but also often with graphics with more finesse… Not fully in PoR. :)

I've played everything GoG has released on the D&D classics, all were still quite playable and totally remind me of when computer games were at their greatest. You really cannot go wrong with any of them, I guess my least favourite would be the Hillsfar game.

Definitely recommend Dark Sun. I first played Shattered Lands maybe 10 years ago, which was still a good ten years after it was released. It's very good and I'd consider it one of my favorite RPGs.

Fail, Dark Sun is definitely more modern, but I couldn't get into the mood, and how I played first combats bored me.

For PoA, I would need the Mac version, too many keyboard hassle, still I'm looking to try again unlike Dark Sun.

I'm unable to play RTS. :)

Despite I was dry to find my next CRPG to play, I didn't found the motivation to try again among those oldies, I picked instead among JRPG despite they tend get on my nerves with their massive and consistent use of plenty clichés, always the same, but it looks like I picked one suiting me (Trails).

Never played Krynn and it's a missed opportunity because it's been released on Mac, funnily the Internet lost the trace of it, showing something can be very wrong on those Internet wiki/references/other. :)

I'll face the same problem than PoR, the heavy keyboard UI. In my quick try of PoR I get the clue I could replay it. The heavy UI more shocked me and thrown me on a search to confirm I wasn't mad and Mac version wasn't that heavy. But the truth is I enjoyed the first steps.

But Krynn is from far the best candidate for me after PoR series.

I seem to recall being able to use the mouse in some of the Gold Box games. Granted, I haven't played in a long time, but still. Champions of Krynn doesn't allow use of the mouse apparently, at least. IIRC Treasures of the Savage Frontier does.

Dark Sun is a bit buggy, but still pretty good. Save often. there's also some inventory bugs that I can't recall the exact details of anymore, but it can kill the game from memory.

I never got into Eye of the Beholder either, but I did enjoy the spin off Dungeon Hack. It's a rogue-like crawler, with fully randomly generated dungeons, with an absolutely massive range of options for tailoring the difficulty. It gets repetitive, but when I'm having that itch, it's still a go-to game due to the random dungeons.

I never played the Ravenloft or Al-Quadim games. So I can't comment on those.

*Edit* Sorry for the necro. I keep forgetting that the forums lost a few months worth of posts, since I'm relatively inactive here.

Back
Top Bottom