Next Xbox system might not play used games.

I am already upset with XBox…The other grandparents got a new Live system for the grandson but didn't read the fine print about the lack of memory available for "certain games". It seems if you play games like Call of Duty you will need to buy the extra hd for the system. That crap is on the instructions inside the box and maybe in the fine print on the outside that needs the hubble telescope to read, but to me it was a bait and switch operation. If you try to use it without the hd added it actually locks up and stops working completely…..granted I had nothing to do with the install and didn't read any of the info in the box, but something that major should be in big letters.
Ok done ranting about that one…….sorry.:)
It's only hearsay, but I believe you can use almost every HDD nowadays. You're not limited to overpriced MS hardware anymore. At least I was told that a couple of weeks ago.
Should be easy to find out.

I cannot post my comment there, so I'm posting it here :

I agree that developers don't get any revenue from used games - but : how big are the revenues after 10 years anyway ?
Now you might call me a lunatic (very fitting, since it is full moon here now), but yes, I'm not thinking of used games being sold within the first few months after a game's release. I thought that this would be clear. No, I'm speaking of used games let's say 10 years after the release of the games. Or even more.
I can hear you laugh about my remark, and to me this is nothing but a sign of how short-sighted developers can be. They just don't think in decades because - well, nobody does. Gaming has to too short attention span anyway. And it's about short-term profits anyway. Unless you manage to achieve a milestone in gaming history, that is.
And let me put it like this : Games that cannot be bought used are easily forgotten after ten years. And if the developers are gone by that time as well (just imagine), no-one will remember them anyway. Does anyone remember the "Descent" game series anymore ? If not - bingo. Same goes for the Laura Bow series, or the "You don't know Jack" game series. And there are lots of more obscure ones, like the Blues Brothers jump & run games.
I do know that revenues are important - but in the long term, after let's say 10-20 years - who gets the revenues anyway ? And if a game is still being sold after 15 years (like through GOG) and the developer isn't there anymore - who actually gets the revenues then ?
What strikes me is the view I often see that the IP of games must be defended at all costs - even if the game is 30 years old. And thus isn't able to run on modern systems anymore (apart from using an emulator). According to current copyright laws, even museums are in principle not allowed to show games. Because these games would have to be cracked of the 20-years-old game uses a copyright mechanism which modern systems or/and emulators cannot work with. To me, this is not reasonable. Games are meant to be played, and not to be convenient tools to gather money. If a company begins to sell games are "money-collecting tools", then there's something wrong with the philosophy behind it.
And no, I don't mean making money for a living - that's what everyone needs. That's clear.
I'm speaking of beating a dead horse. Which would be a game after 30 years, imho. At least in its binaries.
Alrik Fassbauer

What struck me in this blog is also this :

Every game I buy is NEW from Amazon.com and it arrives at my door on or close to release day, shipped free with no tax. The proper revenue also gets to the Developer that created it…how could a retail store ever get more convenient than that?

Ah, now he is supporting online stores meanwhile implicitely helping them to destroy retail shops ? And I don't mean Gamestop - I mean Independents - or even retail in general.

And he forgets one thing : Retail has PEOPLE in it ! Real people which you can ask ! Imagine that !

The downside are of course the retail costs. I know that.

What does the Christian Church say to this ?

And - are other religions immune to this ?

Its a joke with added sarcasm Alrik. Don't take it seriously. Simply put buying used games makes you evil in the eyes of publishers and developers that's all.

What there not telling you is they want a piece of that billion dollar pie. It wasn't a problem in the past but nowadays it is. When you make money there is always a agency's/business's/or middlemen who want a cut of it.

Its a joke with added sarcasm Alrik. Don't take it seriously.

I was not taking it seriuously. This was a display of my dry humour. ;)

You might have guessed it by the word of "immunity". ;)

I was not taking it seriuously. This was a display of my dry humour. ;)

You might have guessed it by the word of "immunity". ;)

Well you fooled me.;) I could go on about the guys blog but he is getting a good beat down from just reading the comments.:slap:

I doubt I'll be buying one if that's the case, not if Sony put out a comparable console. I sell most of the games I buy, it's how I justify the cost. I think well it's a lot of money but I can probably get half back if I sell it. If I couldn't sell ithe games I would have to be much, much choosier about what games I buy and as a result I would buy far less.

So to me it sounds like an excellent way for them to shoot themselves in the foot.

You'll buy less but the people you are selling the games to will buy more, so the publisher can still end up with more profits overall.

6670 is pathetic:
http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+Radeon+HD+6670/review

Not recommended for full hd?

"Keep your PC's resolution settings modest, and the $99 AMD Radeon HD 6670 can be a good way to play 3D games without breaking the bank."
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385800,00.asp

You can not compare a desktop GPU to the "same" GPU in a console. At all.
The current Xbox 360 uses a 500Mhz ATI Xenos GPU. That GPU is based on the now ancient ATI X1800 chip. However, the Xenos in the 360 is performing about on the level of a desktop nVidia GTX 260 which is probably best compared to ATI's HD 4870, i.e. we are talking about Xenos effectively being almost three generations ahead at the time of its release.
The same would very likely be true if the Xbox 720 actually had the AMD 6670 inside. It would probably take a 9870 or something along those lines to match the performance on the PC so the Xbox 720 would have a comfortable lead for a little while at least.

Back
Top Bottom