Dragon Age 2 - Zero Punctuation Review

I thought it was pretty spot on as well as being entertaining!!

I reall enjoy his reviews, and this one was no exception.

It's sad that the more I hear about Dragon Age II, the more I am considering skipping this title completely instead of just waiting for the GOTY edition.

Everyone is entitled to an off day, even Bioware . Whats really sad is that this blunder is just the begining of Biowares new ways .

Bioware started having off days with Jade Empire...

I'm waiting for their on day.

I'd say the nwn1 oc was their biggest failure, and the one which had the biggest professional review score vs actual quality/user score disparity. They had been steadily improving until now.

I'd say the nwn1 oc was their biggest failure, and the one which had the biggest professional review score vs actual quality/user score disparity. They had been steadily improving until now.

NWN OC wasn't good, but everything else about NWN was fantastic. Everything since has been a steady decline - though DA:O was pretty good. Which fits, because they started developing DA:O immediately after NWN.

That said, it's all subjective :)

I was pretty disappointed in the last couple reviews he's done, this one was great tho and tho I havent played much of DA2 - I'm betting that he's pretty accurate on this one.

Didn't one of the Bioware guys hang around this board (before we scared him away that is)? If I remember correctly, it sounded from him that EA hadn't expected much from the original game, but when they saw the potential in the finalized pc-game, this whole bizarre ADD ad-campain set in. It didn't sound like EA didn't have much regard for the original game, and just wanted to capitalize on the brand and refocus it for the consoles.

Btw, is that really the story?

I second the vote for NWN - I always thought of it as an RPG *toolset* and treated the OC as more of a giant example for builders to use. I played a lot of user-generated content for the game and put more time into it than about any other single-player RPG ever.

But I do agree the OC was pretty much paint-by-numbers. I was willing to forgive that with NWN. But it seems that's become their M.O.

Hopefully they'll prove us wrong, soon.

The NWN OC wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. Very bland and forgettable. The later ones they did were much better especially the last. Wow!

As for DA:2 I've been playing it and I don't get where all the hate for it is coming from. "this blunder is just the begining of Biowares new ways" Blunder? :roll:

As for DA:2 I've been playing it and I don't get where all the hate for it is coming from.

No mystery here: some love it, some like it, some (me included) dislike it and some hate it... Fanboys and haters can be dismissed as extremes but the rest? If DA2 selling figures will be equal or greater than those of DA:O future BW's releases will be more like DA2 than DA:O (and more like ME2 than ME1) . If not, they will have to rethink their business model...

Fernando Melo's comments on how they wanted to make the game, DA2, more accessible to players who plays Farmville and Call of Duty and the (new) Fallout game clearly shows that Bioware also wanted to make the game, DA2, this way, at least when it comes down to the combat. The story, however, seemed to be told in a very avant-garde way with the framed narrative...

If DA2 selling figures will be equal or greater than those of DA:O future BW's releases will be more like DA2 than DA:O (and more like ME2 than ME1) . If not, they will have to rethink their business model…

Even if it doesn't reach DAO sales it will still be more profitable than DAO due to short development cycle/cost.

Even if it doesn't reach DAO sales it will still be more profitable than DAO due to short development cycle/cost.

That maybe true - but if you look at the sales figures, the first week was very good, and then the numbers plummeted, more than DA:O as far as I can tell. So, people who may have bought this game as a immediate must buy (because they wanted the successor to DA:O) , may not do so again if they were very disappointed. I think it would be very foolish of EA/Bioware to ignore the current sales performance. Almost every review has criticized the lack of polish that comes from a short dev cycle - they'll tolerate this once, but again? I doubt it.

NWN OC wasn't good, but everything else about NWN was fantastic. Everything since has been a steady decline - though DA:O was pretty good. Which fits, because they started developing DA:O immediately after NWN.

That said, it's all subjective :)
NWN OC or not, fantastic? Lol, party almost destroyed, companions with almost no control and just one then two companions, awful limit in area sizes, it was a big challenge to go over that, and more. The base was quite weak and hyper streamlined, and not only the OC. But yeah I agree that despite this crap, user made stuff put NWN somewhere else.

There is just no way that BW can satisfy their existing customer base and Farmville and Call of Duty players. Question is: will potential gains among the later outweigh loses among the former?

I still wonder why games like Farmville aren't ported to the PC ?

Oh, wait, Germany already has the "Landwirtschafts-Simulator" ...

Back
Top Bottom