"Advanced Tactics: Exploring XCOM's Combat"

Well, well. So this might be a proper X-COM game afterall. I'm cautiously hopeful.

With this and Xenonauts, it looks like there might be two decent X-COM games in the works. Most excellent.

Nitpick: Looking at the screenines, one might think that firing a rocket at a building where one of your squadmates is (albeit on the roof, but look at the size of the explosion and consider that the roof's already busted open) might have gotten her killed/wounded as well. Collateral damage and all that.

Already posted on this thread. No harm done, particularly since the other thread didn't generate discussion.

My bad. Wouldn't have expected to find it under General RPG, though.

I too wonder about collateral damage. And also, it's presented as turn-based but it's not if my memory is intact.

I too wonder about collateral damage. And also, it's presented as turn-based but it's not if my memory is intact.
Combat is "I go, you go" turn based. They're doing a lot of talking about the real-time portion of the game (the global view) to keep the console kiddies from going "Ewww, icky turn-based", IMO.

Exactly like the original.

There's also "we go" turn based, where the planned moves of both sides occur at the same time. I seem to remember Age of Wonders 1 being that way, but it's been a while so I might be thinking of the wrong game. If you're an old bastard like me, you might remember Diplomacy from SSI--that was a perfect example of a "we go" game.

Simultaneous turns option is in HOMM (and maybe AoW?) until you get within combat range, and then everything becomes "I go, You go". Never tried it, didn't appeal, just read about it.

I had written this game off as a cheap cash-grab after seeing the early previews and screenshots, but I guess I might end up paying it some attention after all.

I had written this game off as a cheap cash-grab after seeing the early previews and screenshots, but I guess I might end up paying it some attention after all.
I mentioned elsewhere that I saw no point in making this game given that UFO:ET had already done the "X-Com with better graphics and a modern UI" thing quite nicely. I'm kinda warming to this title the more I see.

There's also "we go" turn based, where the planned moves of both sides occur at the same time. I seem to remember Age of Wonders 1 being that way, but it's been a while so I might be thinking of the wrong game.

Yeah, Age of Wonders 1 defaults to the "we go" kind, although you can switching it to "I go, you go" is an option. "We go" is a nice option for multiplayer games...it's saves a little time.

This new X-COM looks pretty cool to me, so far, but I'm just watching and waiting. I don't mind the update in gameplay mechanics, as long as they don't dumb it down TOO much. I'm not so attached to the original that some the big changes disappoint me. After all, we always have the original, and Xenonauts is looking pretty awesome, too.

Yeah, Age of Wonders 1 defaults to the "we go" kind, although you can switching it to "I go, you go" is an option. "We go" is a nice option for multiplayer games…it's saves a little time.
Thanks. Couldn't remember for certain. Beyond it being many moons ago, I didn't play that game very much. When that game came out, my computer was near the end of its life cycle—the AI planning segment took for-f'in-ever to complete, making the game drag unbearably for me. Unfortunate, since it's supposed to be a good game.

I played it for the first time in the last 12 months. I thought it was great, although my heros became pretty overpowered by the end. One hero could take on a whole army. ;)

All the Age of Wonders games were "We Go", but it was meaningless beyond trying to move some of your groups out of hopeless situations at the start of the turn. The lack of multi-core CPU threading and unresponsive UI resulted in "You Go, I wait, and wait, I Go" gameplay for the most part.

That style of game is just crying out for multi-core implementation. All we've got at the moment is Elemental: War of Magic. And that's … well … the Forest Gump of 4x.

I wish I had tried the Aow games back when they were released.. perhaps I would have appreciated them more. I puchased the trilogy from GoG last year, but gave up on AoW 1 after a few hours. It just didn't grab me at all.

Don't give up JD, AoW may sucks donkey's balls now. But it was good in the day - kinda like Master of Magic's AI or Wizardry I. Good then. Shitty now. Ignore it. Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is all that matters. Or rather, AoW: SM with with the community patch and mods.

Back
Top Bottom