Torchlight II - Interview @ VG247

Dhruin

SasqWatch
VG247 caught up with Max Shaefer to chat about Torchlight and Torchlight 2. The XBLA version of Torchlight, May release of Torchlight 2 and the market in general are all covered. I found this quote ironic, given Torchlight is essentially a follow-up to FATE:
To expand on that, then, the climate at the moment, especially on PC, is seemingly very kind to mid-budget developers delivering games which are not quite so fully-featured but have a lower price and are more easily digestible. Torchlight’s a great example, and Minecraft’s another one. We’re seeing very big numbers for these games. Do you think this is because people have just got tired of spending too much money for games which are too big?
Max Schaefer: Right. And just from a business perspective, when you make these $50 million games, it’s so hard to make your money back that publishers are very conservative about what sort of games they’ll greenlight. So you get a lot of sequels, copycat games and conservative plays. When you come down to a rational budget and a rational team size, you really are freed to take more risk and do more creative things. I think Minecraft is a perfect example. I’m obsessed with Minecraft. I can safely say that Minecraft will slightly delay the shipping of Torchlight 2 [laughs].
It just proves that one guy can make a clever and compelling game. I hope we see more of it, because I think what the PC business really needs right now is more creativity, more responsiveness to customers and more fun, compelling titles. If we’re going to spend $50 million and take four years to make each game, we’re just not going to serve the market.
More information.

Wait, what? I thought that there were only two kinds of PC games:

the ones that can't possibly be made for less than $10 million, and

the ones ones that look like Spiderweb games (no offense, Spiderweb).

Now that I'm hearing that there's some sort of in-between possibility, I can only scratch my head in confusion as to why there aren't more reasonably-priced, reasonably-developed games out there…

…other than those for the iPhone.

Back
Top Bottom