Skyrim - Pre-Orders to Come With High Quality Map

I don't get why you need to buy a new computer to play console games ported in the PC , i bet my 2008 built one will have no trouble at all.

Well, the base of mine is from 2005. It might run Skyrim OK, but it can only just so run Witcher 2, and even after the GPU upgrade Gothic 3 still stutters... sooner or later it will be time.

I had to do a cpu/mb upgrade for TW2 and that game was obviously created with consoles in mind. Just because a game is created around the 2005 XBox 360 don't think it will run the same on a 2005 PC. The console hardware and software are different; the game will be optimized for it and not your PC.

Morrowind had one of the best detailed maps ever. If Skyrim's map is anywhere close to that I will buy it even if I don't play the game :)

I remember when I was playing Morrowind that map was a lifesaver. :)

I kinda agree with those panning this "promo". Who cares if the map is high quality if the details on the map are scarce? It'd be like buying a map of the United States where none of the states are outlined and only the largest cities are shown. It'd be useless for navigation.

I don't get why you need to buy a new computer to play console games ported in the PC , i bet my 2008 built one will have no trouble at all.

Your PC will probably not have any issues playing it on the standard settings. However, many of us are enthusiast gamers and like to push games and our PCs as high as they can go. Like with ridiculous resolutions of say 2560x1600 with a tri-monitor setup and with AA/AF maxed out and all the other settings as high as they can go, all while retaining a decent FPS of 35-50.

Personally I'm a single monitor gamer with a 40" HDTV and only run at 1600*1200…{had to reduce it recently cause I think my left-eye injury from years ago is getting worse and any higher is becoming hard to read the text in many games}

And as another person said, games on console are optimized differently than they are for PC. Granted the visuals are usually not much better from a straight console port, like with the recent Crysis II, and Dungeon Siege III that had no additional advanced settings. With a proper port though, there are a ton of additional options on PC that would make a console keel up and die just looking at the specs.

Not to forget mentioning, once the HD terrain and character mods for the Elder Scrolls and I'll throw Fallout series in for kicks start being released. We're all over those and you've got to have a beefy PC to run them well. I'm looking at my Fallout 3 mod manager atm, cause I've been eager to play it totally modded out with my new GPU, and thus far I have roughly 173 different mods running atm, and I'm always looking for more!

Of course some people like to step on the gas when if comes to detail but 4gb of ram , 4 cores on 2.6ghz and a gpu with 1gb ram will run anything anytime anyplace .
SK engine is probably a modified OB one and judging from some very poor screenshots released game will look shit even on the highest of resolutions.

It's not a modified OB engine, it's a new engine. Animations looks great now, graphics looks alright, it's not like much has happened with PC graphics since Oblivion was released anyways. The PC screens once available will probably look at least a bit better.

It's always kind of funny how the same people that usually complains about Skyrims graphics ("Boo-ho-hoo-hoo! it looks almost like Oblivion!") is often the same people that in other threads says "graphics doesnt matter in RPG's."

Later today i'm putting together a i7 (unlocked ofcourse, i love overclocking), nvidia GTX580 (also gonna be overlocked), 8GB ram, a RAID0 setup of 2x Intel 320 SSD's. I noticed that playing games in 3D needs a really good rig (since the screen has to be rendered twice) hopefully it'll run Skyrim at good FPS in 3D. There's no turning back now to 2D gaming after i've played a few games on the 3DTV, i'm quite impressed with how it feels to play in "full 3D" i have to say.

So it's just nicer quality paper?

Just ask this professional paper makers !

It's the difference between pizza from your local food shop - and Pizza coming from the ovens of a real "pizza bakery" !

Later today i'm putting together a i7 (unlocked ofcourse, i love overclocking), nvidia GTX580 (also gonna be overlocked), 8GB ram, a RAID0 setup of 2x Intel 320 SSD's. I noticed that playing games in 3D needs a really good rig (since the screen has to be rendered twice) hopefully it'll run Skyrim at good FPS in 3D. There's no turning back now to 2D gaming after i've played a few games on the 3DTV, i'm quite impressed with how it feels to play in "full 3D" i have to say.

If you are putting new PC for Skyrim, why not wait till Nov? Surly you will get more for your money then than now?

Just ask this professional paper makers !

It's the difference between pizza from your local food shop - and Pizza coming from the ovens of a real "pizza bakery" !

When you wanted pasta instead? ;)

:lol:

At least I can say that the Pizzas [Pizzii ???] I eat in restaurants taste a LOT better than those half-ready ones I buiy in the local food shop ! :)

It's not a modified OB engine, it's a new engine. Animations looks great now, graphics looks alright, it's not like much has happened with PC graphics since Oblivion was released anyways. The PC screens once available will probably look at least a bit better.

Has it ever actually been confirmed that it's a completely new engine? I thought there was still some debate about that.

Anyways, TES has certainly never lacked in the graphics department. Morrowind and Oblivion looked great for their respective times, and it doesn't look like Skyrim will be any different in that department.

I'm not concerned about visuals though. What I'm concerned about is the further reduction in the numbers of skills compared to earlier games in the series.

I'm curious as to how that's going to pan out too, JDR. With perks, it could be that this will offer the most choices ever. That's not a given though.

Will those choices be meaningful, leading to a greater variety of builds? Will the Master of all Trades, still be the end build? In Oblivion, you could be an Archer-mage of the sword, wearing full plate. Will that happen again?

I had to roleplay my class in Oblivion, otherwise I could become everything. If some of the perks aren't mutually exclusive, then it's going to be a mess. I'm sure I'll still have fun with it, but I'd prefer to make choices that matter when it comes to building my character.

If you are putting new PC for Skyrim, why not wait till Nov? Surly you will get more for your money then than now?

Not really, {prices won't drop that much until new/better hardware is available} the latest releases of PC tech are over with for this year. There are no new/better Intel or AMD CPUs being released until sometime mid-2012. And the same goes for the GPUs…both nVidia and AMD have new 28nm GPUs coming, and they both have claimed fall/winter 2011, but the manufacturer of the those 28nm chips are having a bitch of a time in the success department in each batch. So its highly unlikely.

And you can be sure they'll be extremely expensive once they do release, and honestly the next line of hardware is beyond too powerful for the gaming software being released. What we have available already is way more powerful than needed.

Gaming is not evolving as fast as it could be, especially with more and more developers designing their games using 5-6yr old dx9 console tech; then directly porting that to the PC, with little or most the time no enhancements to take advantage of DX10/11 and the already far superior hardware!

I play lots of games and i also work with 3D so for me there's no need to wait, been waiting to upgrade for far too long :)

JDR13: yeah it's confirmed. they're still using some of their tech though that they've already created for FO3 etc. They're not using gamebryo anymore..

I remember when I was playing Morrowind that map was a lifesaver. :)

The Ultima IV map was a lifesave for me! I really used it to find my way. I marked down different locations, ect. If I remember correctly it was a light felt/cloth material.

I still haven't seen any info about a collectors edition for Skyrim. I think I'll pre-order for the better map and cancel it if something better comes along…

Back
Top Bottom