Aeolwyn's Legacy - Demo V3 is Available

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update for Aeolwyn's Legacy announces that Demo V3 is available.

At Long Last! Aeolwyn's Legacy Demo V3 is available!

e54bf8_b8ea9958278c4a75b66403e2c83fdf9e~mv2.webp

We have some pretty exciting news to announce! We're finally done with the V3 demo of Aeolwyn's Legacy. Now there's nothing stopping us from working on Chapter One! Yay for us! GET THE NEW DEMO HERE! It's been a long time coming, so I hope you enjoy it. There's a ton of new things in it, including:

• Bug fixes! (yay)
  • New Quests
  • New Levels
  • New Music
And so many other things I can't remember them all. So download it and have at it! There's also a lot of exciting things happening behind the scenes that I can't quite talk about yet, but when they happen, you'll be the first to know. (shhh - they're secret right now!) And as always, check us out on Discord for up to date information and arguments!

And as always, check us out on Discord for up to date information and arguments!
More information.

Just tried the demo for 10 mins before getting a nasty bug while opening a container!
Saw a couple of deer at the start walk on water!
I love the demo!

Yeah, this is what i want; late era wizardry/M&M style movement with an open world to explore just with a little more visual advancement. I'm sure it'll get more pretty as it develops but I'd be happy with this fidelity as long as the world is fleshed out and varied.

Theres a jump button! Hoping for derelict ruins with rubble and different levels to hop over!

I gotta point out: Terrible choice of red text font on title screen,
Conversation dialogue should pop up instantly for those of us who read quickly.

I'll get back to it later today.

This looks like it has a lot of potential. Not sure how I missed it until now. Will definitely try the demo when I have time.

This is Pre-Demo 3 comments:

Aeolwyn's Legacy is a buggy mess, especially on loading a save. You might fall through the world, die on loading a save, take damage as you spawn etc. This game is made by Tim Lang (MM6-9) and I think it'll be good eventually. It gets updates very slowly, so I'd say it's several years away from a true release. I'd be more stoked for this game if it was being updated more frequently or with much meatier updates. Tim loves to talk to folks so, if you like his game, join his discord. He'll talk your ear off :)

You could play Legendary Journeys too. It is much further along the development path but isn't quite as pretty. It too has several bugs but the developer is much more active on cleaning them up. Several of us watchers have played it and it has vastly more content at this point. I've reviewed LJ on Steam, so you can look at that if your interests generally align with mine. This is going to be a good blobber when it's done.

Try both!

Okay, yeah, it's pretty rough.
Graphical glitches abound, and one time I entered a building and it dumped me out to the beginning location.

I still think there's potential though - just a lot more work to be done.

Will have to try it out! Definitely looks better compared to some early screenshots. There's a 2 part interview with Tim on Celestial heavens if anyone's interested.

There's a 2 part interview with Tim on Celestial heavens if anyone's interested.
Watched both a few weeks ago, dude likes to talk but enjoyed every minute! He has shown an understanding of why M&M 9 failed so hopefully takes those lessons to this game.
Overall found the demo fun, crashes and random deaths are all part of it!

What are your impressions, @CBSA82;? I liked it quite a bit when it worked, but that was seldom for me.

What are your impressions, @CBSA82;? I liked it quite a bit when it worked, but that was seldom for me.

Honestly it needs a lot of work. But the bones of a good experience are there once it gets more plish.

Character customization is a mix of class then skills and there is a lot of variety. Sadly right now little to nothing is explained so you have no idea what skills do or how they effect things. Also the spell school names are fancy but dont tell you which school does damage vs healing vs buffs ect.

I told the dev he needs to implement a lexicon / guide book in game with definitions at least so people who come into future demos at least know what is going on.

Seems an odd decision to me, to release a demo in this state. What a mess. When there's glaring bugs and technical issues everywhere you turn, I think he'd be better off calling it a pre-alpha, and probably a closed one!

I had no crashes but the game stalls for a minute when I interact with some characters (blacksmith). Anyone managed to get into the castle?

I also had a look at the game now (english):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nWc7A82EPU

Seems like they had another patch since the news, which is called V4 on the page, but still V3 within the game.

Only played it for about 3h, and basically just the first hour each time.
I like the world and the general design of the character system which is very close to the Might & Magic one, regarding having to go to a trainer for level ups, train skills at NPCs, having class depending skills, different skill levels like "master" and so on.

However, the class balance doesnt seem to make much sense yet. The Soldier is the only one wearing plate, so you will want to have a Soldier in your party. Even more so, the Cleric is the only one who can cast all the Heal Bad Effects Spells. So a Cleric is absolutely necessary. While a Seer…well…he can basically do nothing which others can't do as well. So there is no point in taking him.

Similar with races…there is elves for casting classes and dwarves for physical damage classes. Humans and Automatas do not serve any purpose in regards to balancing.

The second big thing which needs to be adjusted is the combat. That one just feels terrible at the moment. You can switch between real time and turn based. But both feel terrible. I hope they make it more into a MMX combat. with some tactical approach instead of just clicking on enemies until they are dead.

The third thing: Sound levels are all over the place. This needs to be fixed. ^^

I told the dev he needs to implement a lexicon / guide book in game with definitions at least so people who come into future demos at least know what is going on.
This is actually in the game, even in the V3 version which I checked out first.
There is one lexicon entry about the schools themselves which isn't super helpful.
But there is also a second which shows all spells per school. That one makes it pretty clear that 3 of these schools are super important. As mentioned before, one is used for removing bad statuses. Another allows you to fly and do double jumps, and a third one is showing POIs on the maps. Just the "combat school" doesn't have anything super important which is sticking out.

The second big thing which needs to be adjusted is the combat. That one just feels terrible at the moment. You can switch between real time and turn based. But both feel terrible. I hope they make it more into a MMX combat. with some tactical approach instead of just clicking on enemies until they are dead.

Yeah, the combat is pretty rough right now. There needs to be some kind of audio/visual feedback when you're attacking. You click on an enemy and it just falls over dead without anything to indicate that you hit it.

Yeah, the combat is pretty rough right now. There needs to be some kind of audio/visual feedback when you're attacking. You click on an enemy and it just falls over dead without anything to indicate that you hit it.

It will actually show the damage in the log to the bottom left. Most enemies in the beginning just don't survive more than one hit. ^^

It will actually show the damage in the log to the bottom left. Most enemies in the beginning just don't survive more than one hit. ^^

I didn't play the demo very long. The only enemies I actually fought were the goblins in the basement of that first village. He needs to implement something that gives a feeling of impact when you land a hit. A sound effect at least or maybe some blood, etc. For now, it's like you're swinging through air even when you land a blow.

I like the looks of this and some of the comments, but for now to me this sounds like it still needs lots of brewing. I'll see what players have to say after it's fully out, as it looks like something I'd really like.

Back
Top Bottom