Dragon Age 2 - First Screens

Alrik - good point. And I point I hugely agree with. One thing that Oblivion did is sidestep the trope of "become the most important hero in the history of the World..."

And people complained about it. I really liked the aspect of helping someone else become the hero-god for a change. Oblivion had weak points, but at least it took a different approach to the typical RPG story arc.

I'd love to see an RPG where you start out weak and sort of average and just make your way in the world. I wish there wasn't always a largely artificial immanent threat that must be dealt with immediately that pushes you along. It would be great to discover these things on your own through exploring and rumors instead of being sought out by the Grey Wardens or Spectres or whatever. Adventure with a party solving smaller crises that come up, much like the old D&D modules. Not every D&D story ended with you being the Champion of the World, and that's what made them great. Maybe have a bit of strategy involving becoming a land holder and managing political and economic issues on the side. This could allow you to build wealth so you could afford to travel to other lands with other adventures. These "modules" could exist as expansion or download content that you buy to expand the world as you choose until you retire a character. Hell, throw in a few "save the world" modules if it sells games and people want 'em.

Anyway, that's what I want. I'd probably go broke as a game developer, though. Bioware and the rest do what they do to make money, not satisfy every RPG enthusiast on message boards.

Back
Top Bottom