Undertale - Review @ US Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Undertale is NOT an underdog anymore - another raving review on US Gamer:

Undertale PC Review: The Art of Surprise

Toby Fox's subversion of Japanese RPGs is equal parts inventive, touching, and brilliant.

As a reviewer, the most difficult part about communicating Undertale's greatness is the fact that it works best when you're not aware of the many surprises packed within.
On the surface, Undertale appears to be a loving sendup of the Japanese RPG genre, with many cues taken from Nintendo's EarthBound series of RPGs—specifically, Mother 3, a 2006 Game Boy Advance release that never reached our shores and developed a cult following as a result. But, soon after the tutorial dungeon, Undertale reveals itself to be something much greater than a clever homage. While it uses the grammar of a Japanese RPG as its basic framework, Undertale doesn't aspire to be an especially straightforward take on the genre.

[…]

Score: 5/5

Regardless of its indie status, Undertale is one of the best and most inspired RPGs in years. By playing with traditional, turn-based mechanics, creator Toby Fox has crafted an experience with a legitimate surprise around every corner. If you have a PC and ten bucks, you owe it to yourself to play this amazing game.
More information.

This is becoming one of the best reviewed games I've ever seen. I think I might play this next.

It's great but they have a hard time explaining why?

I see.

Can SOMEONE explain in simpler terms why it's so great? Please don't tell me it's because they've reversed the formula and made monsters "friendly".

There must be some fantastic story or brilliant gameplay?

There is a thing called "charm". Its mainly presentation though that contributes to it.

There is a thing called "charm". Its mainly presentation though that contributes to it.

Charm is highly subjective, though.

To me, awful visuals are rarely charming - and I can't sustain an interest in even the most charming game without some kind of compelling gameplay and/or story.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, though, and I'm genuinely curious why this game is so great.

I've read some reviews - and I don't know if I'm just being dense, but I really don't understand how what they're saying translates into great game.

I admit, I could just not be the target audience ;)

But we're talking about the best reviewed game of ALL TIME on Metacritic right now. Obviously, it won't stay there - but I can't be the only one wondering how this "charming" game could possibly the best game of all time, right?

Me either. It looks like nothing special and I don't want the monsters to be friendly. What's the point in that?

So Damian, do you recommend this game? Did you finish it and enjoy it?

I'm open to just giving it a go without knowing too much more, and hoping I appreciate what all these reviewers have enjoyed so much.

Check out this IGN review: http://uk.ign.com/videos/2015/10/01/undertale-is-a-fascinating-blend-of-classic-jrpgs-ign-plays
Those guys seems also to be really excited about this game. "Toque in cheek", "funny", "charming", "I'm enamoured with it" And I'm looking at the vid and see nothing of this sort… is there something wrong with me or with them?

It looks appalling, and IGN reviewers annoy the hell out of me. I may have to play it just to see how it can possibly be regarded as so good.

Maybe it's Donald Trump Phenomenon? "Let's see how far we can push this nonsense before people will catch on"?

Back
Top Bottom