3 best rpg in the last 5 years?

Just curious:
I believe everybody, who doesn't have Drakensang in the list, didn't play it.

I played but it was horrible and boring game - like Fallout 3 and Gothic III for example. I can't understand what's so great in these games (actually FO3 isn't even RPG, it's FPS but everyone calls it RPG [because it has some useless skills?]). Gothic III is bugged game where you can just kill everyone and you'll finish the game by accident, also boring dialogues and quests, combat is horrible (if not this this could be fun hack'n slash like oblivion). Drakensang is not as bad as 2 above but still it's just action RPG with good/evil side (you are good one of course) and has boring dialogues.

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines has interesting world, great (I mean GREAT) dialogues, best characters I've seen in video game and great music.

The Witcher has interesting world (fantasy, looks like medieval world, but instead of good knights saving the world this one looks realistic), good music, good characters and very good dialogues (in polish version, I heard english isn't too good, unfortunately).

Mask of the Betrayer has interesting world (D&D, Forgotten Realms... but hey, Planescape Torment is in D&D as well! ), very good story, some interesting characters, there is good/evil path but it's not same as in hundreds of RPGs - both are fun and I wouldn't call them completely evil/good.

Except Bloodlines, MotB and The Witcher there is no good RPGs in recent 5 years for me.

Mask of the Betrayer
Witcher
Assorted RPGs here.

If we're not talking Bloodlines because that goes straight to the top no questions asked (from me). I've yet to get around to Drakensang but I surely will soon.

Drakensang is not as bad as 2 above but still it's just action RPG with good/evil side (you are good one of course) and has boring dialogues.
Don't want to make this a Drakensang thread but: How long did you play it? Did you notice that you have choices (between witches and inquisitors e.g.).
Action RPG? Did you notice the TDE mechanics? And the quests, which didn't involve killing something? And the Auto-Pause system??? And the relevance of social skills? And...

By the way: As you can see above I share your valuation of Bloodlines and the Witcher.

I must admit I haven't completed the game (so I didn't say anything about story) and I played it several hours. Quests are both good and bad but I'd say they are ok. I noticed mechanics and social skills but didn't notice using much of potencial. In the end social skills are nearly not used or used but not as they should - they don't give you much of interesting choices - instead your characters says a little more but it doesn't have big influence in dialogues (although it is used in some quests). Mechanics... yes... so? They changes fights but these are still fights. About dialogues... they are bad, horrible. They were reason why I stopped playing. If you don't see anything bad in them - well, I won't argue with you, perhaps you like that kind of dialogues but I couldn't stand the whole sweetness and stupidity of the damn dialogues. Oh, and in most cases you had just one dialogue choice (what kind of choice is this, anyway?). That's not horrible game, but really suffers because of dialogues. About being able to be good one only - perhaps I was wrong, I can't remember much.

About dialogues... they are bad, horrible. They were reason why I stopped playing. If you don't see anything bad in them - well, I won't argue with you, perhaps you like that kind of dialogues but I couldn't stand the whole sweetness and stupidity of the damn dialogues. Oh, and in most cases you had just one dialogue choice (what kind of choice is this, anyway?). That's not horrible game, but really suffers because of dialogues. About being able to be good one only - perhaps I was wrong, I can't remember much.
Ah, I played the german version and the dialogue was good IMHO - did you play a translated version?
At several places you had several choices by the way and you could avoid fights at some places using social skills.

I wasn't overwhelmed by Drakensang either. It's a good game but certainly no classic, unless maybe you're just a huge TDE fan. I didn't care for the "light" atmosphere and fairy tale setting.

And yes, the dialogues were pretty bad...

And yes, the dialogues were pretty bad...
That is bad news, because it is obviously a problem of translation then.

Spellforce, a RPG/RTS hybrid, which I like for being this kind of hybrid, also had a very good story in the German original version but was known for bad dialogue in the English version.

Ah, I played the german version and the dialogue was good IMHO - did you play a translated version?
Ja, Ich spreche nicht Deutsch so I have to use translations ;)

Ja, Ich spreche nicht Deutsch so I have to use translations ;)
Ha, you can probably compare this to some comments on the text in The Witcher made by some players using the English version (the German version was good however).

Ignore the OC. MOTB is a great game and well worth playing, kinda like HOTU was better than the OC in NWN1. But MOTB is better than HOTU.

I didn't really like MOTB, but Storm of Zehir is awesome

I played but it was horrible and boring game - like Fallout 3 and Gothic III for example. I can't understand what's so great in these games (actually FO3 isn't even RPG, it's FPS but everyone calls it RPG [because it has some useless skills?]). Gothic III is bugged game where you can just kill everyone and you'll finish the game by accident, also boring dialogues and quests, combat is horrible (if not this this could be fun hack'n slash like oblivion). Drakensang is not as bad as 2 above but still it's just action RPG with good/evil side (you are good one of course) and has boring dialogues.
I understand you may have different taste in games, we all do, but calling Drakensang an action RPG is just not true. I don't know what you consider an 'action' RPG (guess everything that is not old-fashion turn based? in that sense Baldur's Gate is also an action RPG). Action RPG to me means that your motor skills are as important or more than the characters' stats. In Drakensang everything depends on the character stats (you can read the console to see all the numbers).

So Diablo is RPG, because everything depends on character stats?

In no particular order:

Neverwinter Nights 2
Fallout 3 (agree with most of the criticism, but I still liked it a lot)
Drakensang

Yet to play: MotB, The Witcher.

The Witcher
Mask of the Betrayer
Mass Effect

If we count 2004 then I would list Bloodlines on top.
Also I am currently playing Drakensang, though been some time since I played it last time. Have lost some interest in it now, so not sure if I ever get to finish it.

Except Dungeon Lords there is no good RPGs in recent 5 years for me.

Mass Effect was horrible at being an RPG. I think it would have benefitted from losing inventory and levelling altogether. Okay, at least the inventory. The tactical-action-adventure parts were awesome.

Back
Top Bottom