General News - The 25 Most Important Games from 2000 to 2009 @ PC Games

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
No day without a random top list. German print mag PC Games presents their top 25 of the decade. Their criteria are "influencial" or "important", not necessarily the highest score. The list is quite RPG-heavy: WoW, Gothic 2, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Fallout 3, NWN 2, Oblivion, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and Baldur's Gate 2 are mentioned.
More information.

As important/influential games, RPGs are a must.
However I can't say FO3 is one of those. In a few years I bet noone will remember that game at all.

But where is Gothic3? You may say it's not worth mentioning but…!
It was buggy as hell but it was selling like hell. Right?
And don't tell me that G3 isn't one of the most often mentioned games in various gaming topics.
And last but not least IIRC, Gothic3 is the first game ever that had 1Gb RAM as min requirement. That's not important? For me it is the most important thing.

As important/influential games, RPGs are a must.
However I can't say FO3 is one of those. In a few years I bet noone will remember that game at all.

But where is Gothic3? You may say it's not worth mentioning but…!
It was buggy as hell but it was selling like hell. Right?
And don't tell me that G3 isn't one of the most often mentioned games in various gaming topics.
And last but not least IIRC, Gothic3 is the first game ever that had 1Gb RAM as min requirement. That's not important? For me it is the most important thing.

What in the whole wide world are you talking about?

It would have been hard to justify to select two PB games.

I hate to use the words "Gothic" and "bad" in the same sentence, but Gothic 3 was pretty bad upon release, and probably would have remained that way if not for the community effort.

I had 4 Gigs and it was still munching it all up and running out of memory on Save every couple of hours (which would ruin the Save). How they didn't catch something so bad is beyond me, it's like QA 101. Not to mention that its Dev 101 to always make sure the Save file does NOT get corrupted if there's a failure during the save process. Still, I did enjoy the game once that problem was removed.

That's a pretty good list, better than most. :)

Actually PB did an excellent job on Gothic 3 considering who the publisher was and had a 1 gig patch ready to go, before their IP was stolen from them, rather significant.

This considering the major accomplishments they did and ALMOST achieved, but where thwarted by a recession. If that wasn't enough let's not forget to mention the pathetic, greedy and sociopathic publisher or did I mention them yet?

No other game I can think of had such huge potential, creative and technological developmental impact on gaming had PB been able to finish their game. The sheer magnitude of the open world game streaming and attempt at Factional choice based development is/was mindbogglingly brilliant. Yet unfinished by it's gifted masters.

Being elder statesmen of the RPG game development world was not enough for PB. No sitting on their laurels, playing it safe, they shot for better and almost made it. I can't thank PB enough for all they have done for RPG gaming.

:cake: :party:

No day without a random top list. German print mag PC Games presents their top 25 of the decade. Their criteria are "influencial" or "important", not necessarily the highest score. The list is quite RPG-heavy: WoW, Gothic 2, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Fallout 3, NWN 2, Oblivion, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and Baldur's Gate 2 are mentioned.
More information.

Some of those games aren't important AT ALL. NWN 2???

And Fallout 3/Oblivion whose only importance was bringing western FLAVORED RPGs to the masses via console. They didn't do anything groundbreaking or important.

And I guess you can put Mass Effect on there for the same reasons.

Bah, that list sucks, lol.

And Fallout 3/Oblivion whose only importance was bringing western FLAVORED RPGs to the masses via console. They didn't do anything groundbreaking or important.
You don't think that's important? It's a pretty big step to show all those console people a truly open-ended RPG, and to prove to us that such games aren't limited to appearing on PCs. The divide between PC and console used to be so vast, and now it's considerably smaller.

Until you try to play an RTS.

You don't think that's important? It's a pretty big step to show all those console people a truly open-ended RPG, and to prove to us that such games aren't limited to appearing on PCs. The divide between PC and console used to be so vast, and now it's considerably smaller.

Mmmh, nope. The mentioned "honor" goes out to Morrowind. They couldn't have hyped Oblivion the way they did without having a strong console base already. They got it by realeasing Morrowind on the XBox.

I strongly doubt the importance of Gothic 2 for the market. It surely didn't make the sandbox RPGs flourish on all platforms.

And NWN2?????? As much as I love the game, the important one was pt. 1. I'd wish MotB would've been more inflential, but alas, it wasn't.

True- I don't particulary enjoy Star Trek (TOS) but I do have appreciation for it growing the TV scifi genre beyond a thin selection of campy mass appeal garbage and obscure cult hits.

But let's not confuse importance with benefit or harm.

I mean, it's for certain that it'll influence the future given the success of those games, but it's impossible to say whether that future is better or worse for it.

I mean, you could say Bioshock inspired the console exclusive gamers to buy this kind of game, but at the same time I think it represented several steps back and away from what made the genre good in the first place.

By that same token, we have Oblivion and Fallout 3 - and these games represent shallow gameplay mechanics and obscene level scaling, among other unfortunate features for an entusiast gamer like myself.

I'd much have preferred if something like Risen was allowed to set a precedent, but that's too late - and there's no doubt the success of Bethesda is what will influence most developers who want to mirror that kind of gameplay.

Oblivion was the first role playing game I ever saw advertised on television & in train stations etc. IMO quite a big step in terms of showing real, mass market appeal for a previously fairly niche genre (even if they dumbed down to fuck to do it).

I like the German game development studios, magazines and gamers for their devotion to role playing games. I want to move to Germany. :)

(even if they dumbed down to fuck to do it).

That's exactly why it's not important.

I agree that the honor should indeed go to Morrowind which WAS a big hit on the X-Box and was still pretty hardcore by console RPG standards.

Oblivion on the other hand is really Grand Theft Auto: Fantasy Setting. That may be an oversimplification, but it fits. Huge open world. Lots of things to do (but all shallow). Very easy to get into and play.

Back
Top Bottom