E3 - Maintained this Year, Online-Only

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Wccf Tech reports that E3 would be an online virtual event this year, once again.

E3 2022 Becomes Online Event Amidst Omicron Concerns

As the Omicron variant of the COVID-19 virus becomes more widespread among the population of several countries, the ESA has made the decision to turn its event into a fully online endeavor. As such, the Electronic Entertainment Expo has not only been confirmed to be happening but it also has been confirmed that it will be an online-only event.

Predictably, this is what the ESA talks about in their statement to GamesBeat.

Due to the ongoing health risks surrounding covid-19 and its potential impact on the safety of exhibitors and attendees, E3 will not be held in person in 2022. We are nonetheless excited about the future of E3 and look forward to announcing more details soon.

But, why announce this so early? GamesBeat speculates that while E3 2022 is currently months away from happening (and the spike in Omicron cases can be over by the time the event hits), the organization is in the midst of signing up companies to take exhibition space, as it often takes months for companies to pull their booths together for the big show, which in normal times draws more than 50,000 industry people and 15,000 fans in-person to the Los Angeles Convention Center every June.

[...]
More information.

Of course online only once again. At least you don't have to pay for a ticket.

I'll still miss the free merchandise, the booths, and yes the cosplay models.

Of course online only once again. At least you don't have to pay for a ticket.

I'll still miss the free merchandise, the booths, and yes the cosplay models.

Have you already been to E3? That must be really fun. And crowded I imagine.

Too far for me, but I've been to a couple of local events long ago, it's not the same online. But it's comfortable at least ;)

Have you already been to E3? That must be really fun. And crowded I imagine.

Too far for me, but I've been to a couple of local events long ago, it's not the same online. But it's comfortable at least ;)
A couple of times in the past. :nod:

The key is getting one of the leftover passes. As the event is usually for journalists and game-industry workers only. Of course it wasn't cheap but well worth the money.

A couple of times in the past. :nod:

The key is getting one of the leftover passes. As the event is usually for journalists and game-industry workers only. Of course it wasn't cheap but well worth the money.

Reminds me of the passes for the F1 event at Spa-Francorchamps. It's usually so expensive that few fans can afford it, it's usually companies that receive tickets and send people over there. Still, worth the price if you really are into this, because it's quite an exceptional event, it must be the same for E3.

I was fortunate enough to attend several of these back in the nineties, scored some pretty nice freebies like a Playstation with a monitor and quite a few games. It seems to make sense to do these events online these days, probably cuts down on the expense a lot for the vendors.

As the event is usually for journalists and game-industry workers only.

It's been open to the public since 2017 AFAIK. Well, at least it was open in 2017, 2018, 2019 with 15,000 public tickets and then CoVid happened :) .
It still would have been open if it would have been an attendance event in 2020/2021.

Ever since the arrival of broadband internet, I never really got the appeal of going to such trade shows. It's much more convenient to simply watch the important stuff from the comfort of your man cave at your own leisure.

Ever since the arrival of broadband internet, I never really got the appeal of going to such trade shows. It's much more convenient to simply watch the important stuff from the comfort of your man cave at your own leisure.

You stay safe in your man cave. I'll brave the dangers of E3 in your place. We can't risk losing you.

ce9d7c87327da0863c9d29d25fe85ad7.jpg

7178307387_0ef86a0457_b.jpg

90c01cba72c69db75ebdc44b453ee851.jpg

5835088115_afaf7a9c7c_c.jpg

You stay safe in your man cave. I'll brave the dangers of E3 in your place. We can't risk losing you.

ce9d7c87327da0863c9d29d25fe85ad7.jpg

7178307387_0ef86a0457_b.jpg

90c01cba72c69db75ebdc44b453ee851.jpg

5835088115_afaf7a9c7c_c.jpg

Dude... that's so 1997 :biggrin: . Also, it's probably not a coincidence that they did away with booth babes when broadband internet rose to power. They did this just for me so I wouldn't miss going to E3!

Dude… that's so 1997 :biggrin: . Also, it's probably not a coincidence that they did away with booth babes when broadband internet rose to power. They did this just for me so I wouldn't miss going to E3!

You apparently didn't get broadband internet until just a few years ago. ;)

They definitely still had booth babes in 2018 which was the last time I paid attention to any trade shows. Not sure about 2019, and obviously most conventions were canceled the last 2 years.

Oh'Moron the mild-headache + sniffles variant grips the Entertainment Industry baaAaad: [donkey + goat chorus]

You apparently didn't get broadband internet until just a few years ago. ;)

They definitely still had booth babes in 2018 which was the last time I paid attention to any trade shows. Not sure about 2019, and obviously most conventions were canceled the last 2 years.

Wait, you want to seriously discuss booth babes? OK, fine :biggrin: .

As a former E3 booth babe gallery connoisseur of the highest order, I was very disappointed when the stuck up E3 head honchos officially cancelled booth babes in 2006.

IIRC, (most of) the gaming press had already stopped their booth babe galleries before that because it was considered as more and more inappropriate when every E3 turned these sites into more of a softcore pr0n site than a gaming site.

I exaggerated a little with "1997" but the time of the very scantily clad booth babes must have been Y2K plus/minus about three years. Then they were phased out and finally forbidden.

I don't know which show was daring enough to still have real sexy booth babes in 2018 and I'm surprised there wasn't a huge "waaaaaahhhhhhh THEM NERDY GAMOR PIGS IS SO SEXIST!!!11" scandal around it but, wow, man… I don't even want to imagine what would happen after the Actiblizz and UbiSoft scandals if any bigger event nowadays even dared to have a single hostess in hotpants or showing a hint of cleavage. It'd be like WW3 right there.

Wait, you want to seriously discuss booth babes? OK, fine :biggrin: .

As a former E3 booth babe gallery connoisseur of the highest order, I was very disappointed when the stuck up E3 head honchos officially cancelled booth babes in 2006.

IIRC, (most of) the gaming press had already stopped their booth babe galleries before that because it was considered as more and more inappropriate when every E3 turned these sites into more of a softcore pr0n site than a gaming site.

I exaggerated a little with "1997" but the time of the very scantily clad booth babes must have been Y2K plus/minus about three years. Then they were phased out and finally forbidden.

I don't know which show was daring enough to still have real sexy booth babes in 2018 and I'm surprised there wasn't a huge "waaaaaahhhhhhh THEM NERDY GAMOR PIGS IS SO SEXIST!!!11" scandal around it but, wow, man… I don't even want to imagine what would happen after the Actiblizz and UbiSoft scandals if any bigger event nowadays even dared to have a single hostess in hotpants or showing a hint of cleavage. It'd be like WW3 right there.

Well, you must not have been that big of a connoisseur if you didn't know that the booth babe ban in 2006 only lasted a couple of years. :)

The booth models were anything but phased out. A simple Google search can show you that they're still going pretty strong at a lot of trade shows (prior to the pandemic). I don't know what E3 in particular is like nowadays, but I know they still had them there at least as recently as 2015, so you're way off on the dates.

Back
Top Bottom