After Reset - Update #2, Character Creation

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Black Cloud Studios posted the second update for After Reset with infomation on the games character creation.

Hey fellows,

Once again, thank you for your support! I see pretty many of you adjusted their pledges to higher ranks, that is nice :) As I mentioned through previous Update, I’d like to devote every update to one of the three main features of After Reset RPG (atmosphere, story or mechanics). And in this Update I’d like to lift a curtain a little and reveal several pieces of game MECHANICS. The pieces of character creation process. But before that, fresh field news.

I browse through the Internet every day and see a lot of responses about the game. Gaming media it is: "After Reset may be the Fallout 3 we never got…" Majority of the people like the idea, but are disappointed about the $900k goal we've settled. In this update I’d like to quote my reply on that on RPGWatch:

"As a mature person I've got sufficient money from my business so I don't want to be preying on gamers like myself. As a creator and a gamer I don't want to create and/or play one more unfinished trash… So $900k is not about "how much do I want" but about "how much does such a game cost.

Why did we launch that project? Because nobody else did. We're too tired of waiting.

We waited for KOTOR 3 and got SWTOR :(

We waited for Balder's Gate 3 and got "Enhanced Edition" :(

We waited for Diablo 3 and got… *facepalm*

When another game was announced I put the question "will it be like unreleased original Fallout 3 (Van Buren)?" and received "no". That was the last drop. I do not want to play damn Commandos. I want to play R-P-G. So that game is for people who feel the same…"
More information.

Commandos?
wait what? where does that fit in there.
Commandos is off the chart, theres no RTT that resembles it for the last 10 years, right?

Commandos?
wait what? where does that fit in there.
Commandos is off the chart, theres no RTT that resembles it for the last 10 years, right?

I believe (aöthough I could be wrong) he's talking about Wasteland 2. Which is a really bad move, he should be trying to attract those backers, not alienate them...

Yeah, this guy's abrasive personality has doomed his kickstarter. It wasn't going to make it anyway, but he probably cost himself a few hundred backers. Maybe some humble pie will wake him up to reality.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Fallout 3.

Basically saying that the Fallout 3 we got was nothing like the Fallout 3 that was originally being made (Van Buren). I assume he just meant *being* like a commando in the game...not actually comparing it to the Commandos games.

If he was comparing it (or Wasteland 2) to the Commandos games then he's nuts.

Either way he comes off as abrasive and annoying. I think what he's going for is fed up with the current state of RPGs, yada yada yada.

Just comes off as kind of elitist jerk to me. Which is a shame because the game could be good.

Yeah, you're proably right. But I know he mentioned WL2 somewhere, and that it rubbed me the wrong way.

The fact that no one even seems to know what he's talking about speaks volumes for the strangeness of this Kickstarter. My favorite part is the biography section. He mentions that he is an Army veteran and a former merc, as if that has anything to do with quality game development. Also, his lead programmer is Russian (the same country of origin as Sergey Brin!!!). I guess that automatically gives him +4 to his coding skill.

Ridiculously unachievable goal + bizarre pitch = No soup for you!!!

The game looks good to me but what rubbed me the wrong way was him (them) asking for nearly a million dollars. When Double Fine or Obsidian is looking for the big bucks I know that there should be something coming down the pike. But when some unknown guy starts looking for the big bucks my spidey senses start tingling and the wallet shuts down.

I think you guys are being a tad harsh on the guy. He wants to deliver something I would really like to see, so I am certainly not going to bash on his ambition nor his attitude. It isn't likely to find $900k of support, but maybe seeing the market will attract some angel investors.

I completely disagree. The team has absolutely no credibility whatsoever. As Djaffer mentioned, this is not in any way a team of industry vets, a la Double Fine or Obsidian. It's utterly ridiculous to believe that they could pull this off, even if they got the funding. I find it presumptuous of him to even ask for this amount. I don't believe that they could even get $50,000 based on their game development experience. What is the likelihood of a bunch of random people making a true spiritual successor to the old Fallout games, especially as their first project??!! I'd say slim to none, at best.

The Kickstarter "honeymoon" period is long over, and it shows a clear schism from reality to believe, even for a moment, that this project could possibly succeed. In my opinion, we are not being harsh…just brutally honest.

It isn't likely to find $900k of support, but maybe seeing the market will attract some angel investors.
That is the point as well. During first 3 days of KS campaign I've got 2 propositions from really cool experience studios with financial and people resources to co-found and develop After Reset RPG together. As a businessman I am very skeptic and not sure about the results. But I really like PRG's they made so I'll contact them after KS… Who knows what will happen. Anyway discussing terms with a large amount of backers will help in negotiations. Thus every people matters.

I find it presumptuous of him to even ask for this amount.
As I said I will no lie to gamers like myself. Even if they like to be deceived…

I don't believe that they could even get $50,000 based on their game development experience.
We'll see. And don't forget that I can and am going to keep putting my own money to this game development. Anyway.

What is the likelihood of a bunch of random people making a true spiritual successor to the old Fallout games, especially as their first project??
As also said, I am tired of waiting. I am tired to be deceived as a player and an old-school fan. So I prefer to do smth to change the situation than moaning and whimpering. And I invite you to join the club. If you don't want… well, just don't play the game.

//btw, thanks to all people from RBGwatch.com! You are on Top 4 of people who support our game.

If you can pull it off, then I will be happy to purchase the game. You are being far too ambitious, though. Why not start with a simpler, more achievable goal and establish a name for yourself?

Also, we already have an old-school successor to Fallout in development. Wasteland 2 looks to be coming along nicely. I believe that Brian Fargo is too shrewd a businessman to allow it to fail. If he delivers on his promises of great games (including the Torment successor), then he can use Kickstarter to fund all of his games going forward.

The success of the Wasteland, Project Eternity, and Torment kickstarters clearly shows that there is a market for this type of game. However, you are neither inXile nor Obsidian.

At any rate, best of luck with your project.

While I won't support the kickstarter, if Mr Nixon does pull it off somehow, I'll be in line to buy the finished product. He'll get my money eventually, should he succeed.

While I won't support the kickstarter, if Mr Nixon does pull it off somehow, I'll be in line to buy the finished product. He'll get my money eventually, should he succeed.

yep, me too.

I said in my post the game looks good. I like what I'm hearing in the development process. But just way too big for me to fund. And note, I have funded a ton of projects.

OTOH, this game looks like a day one purchase if the game ever gets properly finished.

Back
Top Bottom