RPG Site - Bryan Vitale's Top Ten Games of 2017

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Bryan Vitale - Editor at RPG Site - made his personal top 10 game list for 2017:

Bryan Vitale's Top Ten Games of 2017

It goes without saying that 2017 was something of a momentous year for video games. Personally, the sheer number and quality of great video games released in the last twelve months managed to help reignite my love for the medium after finding myself playing less and less in the last few years as I’ve gotten older with more responsibilities outside of the gaming sphere. It’s my first full year contributing to RPG Site, and I’ve been so lucky to work with so many talented and passionate people and even got a chance to help cover my first E3 event. I don’t know what the future holds for my time here, but I figured that this year I might as well cap off the occasion by reflecting on some of the amazing titles that came out in 2017.

Most of the titles in my list fall at last partially underneath the wide and nebulous umbrella that comprises the often-contested RPG label. Before going straight into the list proper, I know that there were several additional titles that I am near certain would fall onto this list if I simply had the capability of playing everything. Persona 5 is a title that I can tell oozes with style and personality that I hope I can find time to play through its lengthy run-time in 2018. Horizon Zero Dawn is a gorgeous game that I can’t wait to help christen a 4K HDR display one day. NieR: Automata seems to incorporate everything special about the video game medium into the very core of its experience and it’s at the very top of the list for titles to get into early next year. Outside of RPGs, Super Mario Odyssey seems to be the non-linear style Mario title I’ve been waiting for since Sunshine and is another title I hope to find my way to soon.

[...]

10. Tales of Berseria
9. Torment: Tides of Numenera
8. Mass Effect Andromeda
7. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
6. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
5. Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire
4. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
3. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
1. Divinity: Original Sin II

[...]
RPG Site's Reader's Choice:

10.The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 3rd - 2.2% (Nihon Falcom / XSEED - PS4, PC, Vita)
9.Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 2.3% (Nintendo - 3DS)
8.Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood - 2.7% (Square Enix / PS4, PC)
7.Horizon: Zero Dawn - 3.8% (Guerilla Games / Sony - PS4)
6.Yakuza 0 - 3.8% (Sega - PS4)
5.The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 4.4% (Nintendo - Switch)
4.Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 5% (Monolith Soft - Switch)
3.Divinity: Original Sin 2 - 5.4% (Larian Studios - PC)
2.NieR: Automata - 16.3% (Square Enix - PS4, PC)
1.Persona 5 - 36.9% (Atlus - PS4, PS3)
More information.

It goes without saying that 2017 was something of a momentous year for video games
nope.

It was a pretty good year, IMHO, though not nearly as good as I had hoped. Most of the games I was looking forward to got bumped to 2018.

OMG, he put Andromeda on the list!

I actually played 3 of those. A bit of a first to have so many in a list. But I don't play nearly as many games as folks here do. Lucky if I play 2-3 new ones in a year.

My memory is hazy though as the years really start to blend together at my age, seriously. It seems like I had a lot of fun games for 2017 - DOS2, Torment, Tides, Tyranny, Andronema, and ELEX. If those are all 2017 then it was an unusually busy year for me. I also tried the EA for Conan (meh so far), and some Tower game that was in EA state (mixed feelings so far).

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus in a list that seems RPG and one MMO??? How weird.

Well, he did say "Most of the titles in my list fall at [least] partially underneath the wide and nebulous umbrella that comprises the often-contested RPG label", which implies that some do not.

I got it, list of games, not of RPG, it's still very bizarre how isolated it is. It's the only one not at all RPG/MMORPG.

If you made a list of the games I played last year it would be all RPGs... plus Uncharted 4. Sometimes there's an odd game out.

When I see Persona 5, all I can do is instantly move away.
Not saying the game is garbage. Maybe it isn't. It's the exclusivity cancer.

So next time, the author of the article, Bryan Vitale, should specify "top 10 exclusive idiocies". It would save me bothering to open and read the irrelevant thing.

I laugh when I see Mass junk on the list. I laugh even harder seeing Divinity the second at the number one slot. There are some actual good games on the list, so for that reason I don't kick it straight off the bench. One day I'll have to try Berseria, as I've heard that heralded as a great game by respectable folk.

The only game on his list I've played myself so far is Trails Of Cold Steel, which I enjoyed a lot. I will eventually get around to Trails In The Sky TC, Torment and Original Sin 2. The others, probably not, unless Andromeda goes on sale for a buck ninety nine and I'm *really* bored.

When I see Persona 5, all I can do is instantly move away.
Not saying the game is garbage. Maybe it isn't. It's the exclusivity cancer.

So next time, the author of the article, Bryan Vitale, should specify "top 10 exclusive idiocies". It would save me bothering to open and read the irrelevant thing.

lol, joxer can crack me up sometimes…:lol:

Is Andromeda patched and playable yet? Single player that is
I think they were done with that long ago. Game was a big flop so, among other things, they shut down the studio (BioWare Montreal) that made it.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...-mass-effect-andromeda-single-player-content/

I suppose that doesn't entirely answer your question, haven't played it yet myself so can't comment on the "playable" part but plenty of people here said they actually enjoyed it, despite all the critics hating it. So I've gotta assume it's playable.

Is Andromeda patched and playable yet? Single player that is

It was fully playable at launch, what are you referring to?

They've made some minor adjustments to the visuals - and fixed a few bugs here and there.

I don't remember having a single issue in my ~60 hours of playing. Never did finish it, though.

I don't remember having a single issue in my ~60 hours of playing. Never did finish it, though.
The game had at least a dozen of issues at launch where a few could prevent progress. Yes, gamestopper bugs. Regardless of that I've finished it twice.
Most of issues were fixed during that time and even more patches were released after I was done with the game, but now I really can't remember every annoyance addressed in those patches.

For all I remember the only issue that was never fixed was getting certain Mako achievement on PC. A disaster! :D

So buy now.

If its his list for his site, which is called RPG Site, why is his list a list of random games of any selected genre? Are niche sites going out of fashion but people are too nervous to change their site's name?

I mean, yeah, the list was ok, nothing overtly offensive about it, but I'm struggling to see why the world needs to care about it, what's the angle? That his readers care more about the subject matter of the site than he does? Whoever he is anyway. Because he wanted to highlight so many hidden gems? Nope. I dunno.

I've only played DOS2 of all the games listed. It was meh for me, but probably a great game overall. I'm just not a partier. Of course, with the way things are going, I'll be sgnut by the end of next year. Survival-game-nut ;)

Back
Top Bottom