BattleTech - An Introduction to BattleTech

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
If you are interested in learning more about the BattleTech universe being translated to video games, Techraptor went over it in some detail.

Where It All Began

BattleTech was released in 1984 by the FASA Corporation, who at the time had some huge IPs under their banner, like Star Trek and Dr Who. They also later on released the Shadowrun roleplaying game, which is still seeing video game releases and adaptations.

BattleTech was originally called BattleDroids, but after some legal issues with the Droid term being owned by Lucasfilm, changed its name to BattleTech.

It first started as a board/war game played on a hex marked map with miniatures, which was re-released as a 25 Anniversary Boxed Edition and can still be purchased. This boxed set is a perfect example of what BattleTech is, and if you’re interested in the BattleTech universe, this is where you should start.

[…]
More information.

Pretty cool article and very informative.

On a related note, is anyone else looking forward to MechWarrior 5?

I'll be looking forward to a new MechWarrior game, assuming it isn't some silly online product or mmo. Right now, I have far more hope for Battletech, don't let me down, Hairbrained Schemes!

I'll be looking forward to a new MechWarrior game, assuming it isn't some silly online product or mmo. Right now, I have far more hope for Battletech, don't let me down, Hairbrained Schemes!
Yeah I remember when the new MechWarrior game was announced, and the drama around the announcement. In the end what we got was an MMO instead of an SP game.

I would love to play a Space Opera game like Mass Effect with Mech Combat one day.:(

Mechwarrior 5 is a proper Mechwarrior game, I think you're also a team of mercenaries, but Mechwarrior is an action game, not like Battletech that is a tactical game.

On a related note, is anyone else looking forward to MechWarrior 5?

It's not only a new MechWarrior game, it is MechWarrior: Mercenaries!!!

If it is anything close to MechWarrior II: Mercenaries it will be great!

I envision it as the action version of Battletech, the tactics game.

It's not only a new MechWarrior game, it is MechWarrior: Mercenaries!!!

If it is anything close to MechWarrior II: Mercenaries it will be great!

I envision it as the action version of Battletech, the tactics game.

As long as they don't make it too actiony. Sure if you're in a light mech you should be wooshing around, but one big hit kills you, and if you're on a heavy mech, it should be sloooow walking but Thor help whoever receives your volleys.

Yeah I remember when the new MechWarrior game was announced, and the drama around the announcement. In the end what we got was an MMO instead of an SP game.

I would love to play a Space Opera game like Mass Effect with Mech Combat one day.:(

Yeah, I'd sign up for a bit of that.

The JRPG side has some like that. IIRC the Xenosaga trilogy had mechs, the Front Mission series wasn't space but alt-history I think (or just futuristic Earth, don't remember).

Keep the Mass junk stuff away from my lovely Battletech. I might tolerate elements from either of the first two game, assuming Electronic Arts and the Origin platform were not associated with the endeavour at all. I wouldn't want those nasty infections to violate Hairbrained Schemes.

The JRPG side has some like that. IIRC the Xenosaga trilogy had mechs, the Front Mission series wasn't space but alt-history I think (or just futuristic Earth, don't remember).
Yeah played most Front Mission games even the one you had to play on an emulator because it was never translated after part III. The PC version wasn't bad either.

As for Xenosaga it was brilliant and still is today. To bad the sequels weren't great.
Keep the Mass junk stuff away from my lovely Battletech. I might tolerate elements from either of the first two game, assuming Electronic Arts and the Origin platform were not associated with the endeavour at all. I wouldn't want those nasty infections to violate Hairbrained Schemes.
Well I was just using an example of how to make a proper Battletech RPG.

Just imagine the scale as the known universe is at war, and you get to play a mercenary. I have so many ideas but no money to make it, and it would probably be very expensive.

Heck even an open world galaxy like a Bethesda game would be good also. As for this game I kickstarted it & will probably play it to death this week, but it's not an RPG.

Last edited:
Mechwarrior 5 is a proper Mechwarrior game, I think you're also a team of mercenaries, but Mechwarrior is an action game, not like Battletech that is a tactical game.

I think calling it an action game might be selling it short. It's more of a simulation with real-time combat. Personally, I love the idea of controlling a mech from a first-person view.

I've always seen the Battletech world quite similar to the Black Company books series, at least in style and attitude. Specifically in how a squad would conduct itself in almost constant war-time situations, while trying to avoid almost certain annihilation if greatly offending one side or the other.

Back
Top Bottom