Witcher 3 - Insider on the Graphics Downgrade

Which begs a question as to why do console owners make so little fuss about crappy graphics of their "new generation" and "cutting edge" consoles?

Because they have been playing xbox 360 and PS3 for the last 10 years. So these graphics are amazing to them.

PC Games Hardware has a screenshot gallery: 3200p @ultra settings scaled down to 1600p.

PC Games Hardware has a screenshot gallery: 3200p @ultra settings scaled down to 1600p.

Interesting. Some scenes the lighting looks OK, but others really highlight what's wrong with it. The scenes with the orange/purple sunset conditions really show the weakness.

EDIT: To try and pin it down, it's like the lighting on characters and near objects don't match the lighting suggested by the environmental conditions.

Last edited:
I'm glad I will be able to play on ultra with my r9 280 with 3gb ram. Or so they say.

Yeah, its strange. Some scenes look very good with complex lighting and detailed textures. Others just look okay, similar to tw2

Interesting. Some scenes the lighting looks OK, but others really highlight what's wrong with it. The scenes with the orange/purple sunset conditions really show the weakness.

EDIT: To try and pin it down, it's like the lighting on characters and near objects don't match the lighting suggested by the environmental conditions.

Yeah the lightning on objects and characters is clearly very limited. I looked at an earlier gameplay trailer, and the lightning is incredible detailed, almost on pair with CG i would say. The final version is not as bad as the lightning in for example Skyrim, but it's still very flat and unnatural.. ENB to the rescue ;)

Yeah, its strange. Some scenes look very good with complex lighting and detailed textures. Others just look okay, similar to tw2

I'll be perfectly satisfied if the graphics are on par with TW2 considering how large the world is this time. I'm playing TW2 now, and it looks fantastic on the highest settings even by today's standards.

Just saw a long discussion about CDPR on Gamestar. Their chief editor said it unmisunderstandably: The PC version looks better than the PS4 version.

You are flogging very dead and very flogged horse guys. 5 more days and we will know for sure. Also in 5 days people will start messing with rendering.ini files and shift through the data to see if something is hiding in there…

HAHAHAHA, I can see it now: "Guys, guys, here's the solution to the graphics downgrade from a clever modder. Just change the following options!"

Code:
[b]D:\Games\The Witcher 3\Game Files\rendering.ini[/b]

[Graphics Options]
Enable2013Lighting=true
EnableGraphicsDowngrade=false
ConsoleGraphicsRendering=0

Oh the drama that will ensue. :biggrin:

EnableGraphicsConsoleCompatible=TRUE
SnailModeOff=FALSE
Nevermiss(tm)CombatAutomatic=TRUE

The comparision PC/Playstation video is down. Removed.

Words from CD projekt employee:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...r-Min-vs-Max-comparison?p=1660944#post1660944
peMfgQm.png

That PC min vs max comparison is laughable; there's practically no difference beyond texture resolution and draw distance. I was hoping for at least some decent ambient occlusion!

Oh well, long live consoles and their underling developers. This whole fiasco wouldn't be half as irritating if CD Projekt would just fess up and admit to consoles being their new focus. It's not like the writing hasn't been on the wall ever since they tried/failed to port W1 to XBOX and then followed up with downgraded mechanics in W2+Console ports.

The "it's the youtube compression!" argument is absolutely hilarious (they've used it before).

It's a very selective compression it seems. Maybe the youtube compression got downgraded for the PC bit. Haha.

I'm now almost 100% certain that CDPr believes there's a "Gaming Business Comedy Award 2015" and that's where they're putting all their effort into currently.

Didn't think the graphics looked good in the IGN stream video (poor focus, lighting), but Gopher's footage from the preview a month or so ago looks much better, so maybe that was just the capture software. Gopher says that even on the i7/GTX 980 build he didn't max out the physx settings for performance reasons. Personally I'll be well happy if I can get the game to look that good at a decent frame rate. I don't believe for a minute that CDPR will have nerfed the PC graphics so as not to piss off console owners...

There are a lot of stupid comments in this thread.

Consoles are the devil, CD Projekt can do no wrong, They are the bestest...or they are liars....

Like everything else in life...it is somewhere in the middle.

Here's an interesting take from a CDPR dev a couple of days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9rlkCOk9E

That all seems pretty reasonable, I think. Maybe the game won't be perfectly optimised for your 6 titans in SLI custom water build, but it is looking well good on more normal gamer rigs from the vids I've seen.

What's more important than esoteric graphic effects, I reckon, is how smoothly and responsively character motion fits into the environment and avoidance of jarring effects such as your character standing a foot in the air on steps/rocks etc. That looks OK too, although I hear that there were some gltiches with horse movement in the preview. Hope that gets ironed out too.

Then I was shocked to see that +1 was by Morrandir. Not sure I ever realized there were 2 of you, always read both your posts thinking you were the same person. Sorry 'bout that!:cool:
Haha. :D
And as I've just notice both from Germany.

You should distinguish by Avatars, not usernames. ;)

Back
Top Bottom