Deus Ex - Series Not in Danger

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamesindustry.biz reports that Deus Ex remains important franchise for Square Enix's CEO Yosuke Matsuda:

[...]

"What I can say is Eidos Montreal has always developed Deus Ex, and the issue is we do not have limitless resources. We have several big titles that we work with and that's partly a factor in what our line-up looks like. Of course, it would be ideal if we could work on all of them all of the time, but the fact of the matter is some titles have to wait their turn. The reason there isn't a Deus Ex right now is just a product of our development line-up because there are other titles we are working on."

He went on to add that Deus Ex is also a "very important franchise" for the publisher, highlighting its unique position in Square Enix's portfolio as a first-person title, and added: "We are already internally discussing and exploring what we want do with the next instalment of it."

[...]
More information.

Not only that but I would rekon they have to deliver on their next game which is set in Marvel universe. And we all know that the big mouse is all about the profit :D

I am glad that it is apparently not in danger. I enjoyed Mankind Divided a whole lot (not quite as much as Human Revolution but close enough) so I hope that they create another good one like it.

They lie.
Its in danger of becoming a DLC Microtransaction Console Whore.

But the series itself probably will not disappear.

I am glad that it is apparently not in danger. I enjoyed Mankind Divided a whole lot (not quite as much as Human Revolution but close enough) so I hope that they create another good one like it.

I liked it as well, and I think it's superior to Human Revolution in most ways.

I want them to include more C&C when it comes to upgrades in the next game. It was too easy to get almost every skill in HR and MD. I'd like to see a return to the original Deus Ex in that aspect.

I don't believe them, sadly. I'm sure they can find a new way to profit from it - but the "spirit" of the games is most definitely in serious danger.

Please Deus Ex, be in danger and scrap the horrible junk after Deus Ex 1, give the franchise to a studio, who can make actual games, not that repulsive orange sewage Crime Against Players that Eidos Montreal committed.

Am I right in thinking that MD only sold just over 1m copies on all formats? I think HR sold around 3m, so you can understand why it's on ice.

That said, I doubt they've considered the real reasons why some avoided the game, such as the pre-order campaign & the huge game breaking bugs on release. I myself waited for a sale almost a year later because of those.

Release finished games and they'll sell better. It's not rocket science, and nowt to do with the franchize either.

I don't know how well MD did - but I'm surprised it didn't match sales of HR - to be honest.

I thought HR was absolutely fantastic all things considered, and I fully expected a sequel to be a hit.

It was never going to be GTA/Assassin's Creed/Call of Duty - but at least a few million copies sold.

I'm not convinced it was the marketing or terrible online integration. But I guess it's the only explanation I can come up with, except that it wasn't received as well, critically, as HR.

To me, it seemed everyone was kinda lukewarm on the game - which I didn't quite understand.

I thought it was great, personally.

Am I right in thinking that MD only sold just over 1m copies on all formats? I think HR sold around 3m, so you can understand why it's on ice.

It has over 800k copy sold on Steam only, I doubt the game was more popular on PC than consoles.

It has over 800k copy sold on Steam only, I doubt the game was more popular on PC than consoles.

Eh, why not? IMHO most gamers still consider it a PC games series, although only the first one was a PC original development.

Eh, why not? IMHO most gamers still consider it a PC games series, although only the first one was a PC original development.

Most gamers aren't playing games on PC. If a game is available on PC and consoles, only about 20-30% of the sales will be on PC.

Also, you are the first person I see to claim DX is a "PC games series", I wouldn't think anyone would believe that after Invisible War...

I thought Human Revolution was a great game. My experience with it is very positive. The story was very engaging, the music was fitting and very well done, and I felt the voice acting was believable in that it gave personality and life to the characters.

I haven't jumped into Mankind Divided because of the whole pre-order fiasco, but it's something I want to jump into eventually. I wouldn't be surprised if the pre-order bonuses really put people off, though.

Wasn't there a spinoff phone game (or DLC) for Deus Ex, too? I think it was called Deus Ex: The Fall. It used the same engine as HR. If I recall correctly, it didn't score too well and that may have deterred interest.

I haven't jumped into Mankind Divided because of the whole pre-order fiasco, but it's something I want to jump into eventually. I wouldn't be surprised if the pre-order bonuses really put people off, though.

That's the real shame of the situation. You and a lot of other people missed out on a great game because of the preorder stiuation which was a gross overreaction imo.

I think this series has a lot of potential. Would love to see a Deus Ex game where the lead character is someone I can relate to, (hey, maybe an older and mature character, a serious character with substance, and nothing to do with fake coolness and being a "hipster") and with game play elements of shadowy conspiracies and secrets and cool technology and so on.

If they made a game that lived up to the potential of the setting, it could be a blockbuster seller, in my opinion.

(which also means no: micro-transactions or loot boxes of any kind, single player game with 20 or more hours and with rpg character progression elements too)

I don't know how well MD did - but I'm surprised it didn't match sales of HR - to be honest.

I thought HR was absolutely fantastic all things considered, and I fully expected a sequel to be a hit.

The question is though: How much did Square Enix' piss-poor business decisions hurt the sales of the sequel?

The way they screwed around with Human Revolution was pitiful. The DC version should have been a free upgrade for owners of the game.
What was plain inexcusable, however, is that the DC version was based off a fork of the game that did not even incorporate the latest patches of the original game.

The original game does not have the features of the DC but is patched up considerably better while the DC version is more feature-rich but more unfinished and broken. And then they even had the nerve to charge money for this insanity...

I totally understand why people stayed away from the sequel. Another reason would be the poor main character. I know I'm not the only one who could not identify with Adam "I-sound-like-I-did-way-too-much-roids-in-my-life" Jensen ;) .

There was also the immediate negatively when MD was release - some issue similar to loot boxes (I forget the details). The problem is that a lot of these games make the builk of the revenue in the first couple of months and then dribble a bit more over time. I suspect that negatively had a noticeable impact. Unfortunately instead of blaming themsevles (and execs who made the crappy decision) they blame the developers.
-
People at the top almost never take responsibility for their bad decisions.

It was never going to be GTA/Assassin's Creed/Call of Duty - but at least a few million copies sold.

I'm not convinced it was the marketing or terrible online integration. But I guess it's the only explanation I can come up with, except that it wasn't received as well, critically, as HR.

To me, it seemed everyone was kinda lukewarm on the game - which I didn't quite understand.

I thought it was great, personally.

Back
Top Bottom