imagine just imagine an Elder Scrolls with permadeath

Id they made an elder scrolls game or modded elder scrolls 2 (recently made huge strides with some source or unity engine) turned the old ass elder scrolls 2 into the dreams and desires of its creators that left the company and took their vision with them before even morrowind was finished of creating a game world thwt is like a virtual reality with perma death or rougelike but a whole world with literally tons of skills just for every little thing like illusion, short sword, long sword, axe, etc. the ability to even climb and levitate of like tons of skill for everything to customize and shit and a breathing game world:
https://youtu.be/F7qyxSfUceE

like imagine if youmcould die in the games and had to eat and sleep. I mean it would be like combining the recent breakthroughs in rougelike design with games like balrum snd the pinnacle of immersion which elder scrolls 2 is but also lets say they added immersion of stalker where you would see bands or groups of npcs fighting each other inside the game and people moving around like in shenmue. Basically, take the scope of elder scrolls two and modernize some aspects like graphics and sound and keep the nitty gritty customizations and nerd shit like options in enchantments size of world etc. and add perma death and having to eat drink and sleep. gold baby gold.

imagine such an elder scroll for a second.

There are games like that.

Try Delver, if you don't mind lo-fi 3D mixed with pixelart, and would love a return to Elder Scroll's Daggerfall kinda gameplay. Barony, likewise, takes some of its inspiration from Ultima Underworld. Personally, the only rogue-like I'd enjoy, aside from the occasional Slay the Spire/FTL clones, would be a survival horror-stealth, run-away-if-you-get-caught kinda rogue-like, where fighting with a monster would equal instantaneous permadeath. There are probably games out there like that, too.

While we're sharing fantasies, why not a worthy Ultima Underworld successor, or virtually any dungeon crawl in 1st person 3D, that takes place exclusively underground. I remember this type of game during the 1990s started to bud, then got plucked by the roots by developers out to grab an eager buck with the latest generic shooter, before it could translate well into the 3D era.

Why imagine? Can do that easy enough with mods.

Sorry, but even the thought of all that tedium makes me feel woozy!! I play games to relax and escape from the real world; I don't want more of the same old, same old I live with every day.

Indeed. And I played it that way (Frostfall, needs mods, etc) for a long time before I realized that all it did was make the game tedious.

Everything and nothing is tedious. One person's tedium is another person's passion. Otherwise those mods wouldn't exist (and they tend to be popular).

I don't use most of them as I find it somewhat tedious myself. What I like, however, is that added layer of immersion so with Frostfall I tend to to lower everything (or disable) things until I get the basics. Effects of cold, camping, etc., but without the hardcore approach that I find, myself but know others like, tedious.

Same with camping. I like doing it now and then - more for RP reasons. I might find a nice spot and enjoy the relaxing aspect of just setting up a nice camp, taking some screenshots, etc. Just another way to enjoy the game. Having to do that all the time? No way.

But it also depends on the game. I play FO4 on hardcore survival mode and enjoy the challenge and added layer. I tried it in Skyrim and bored me completely. In FO4 I really enjoy it. So even for myself it changes depending on game and situation and how implemented.

Some people like crafting ... I find a lot of very tedious. Even in FO4, which I tend to have liked the crafting the most, I tend to use it on a minimum level.

Then again some people like a lot of combat, or grinding down HP, such as in Dragons Dogma or Dark Souls. To me that is the most tedious of all - grinding through mobs.

So it all depends on the player, the game, the situation, how it is set-up, how flexible it is, etc.

Sorry, but even the thought of all that tedium makes me feel woozy!! I play games to relax and escape from the real world; I don't want more of the same old, same old I live with every day.

I have two friends who spend hours upon hours building homes and settlements in FO4. Something I find fairly boring - I build my own home and the basics. But they love it.

They explained after a long hard day at work they just want to zone out in a game - to feel creative but without worrying about stress or risk from combat or fighting. Building things relaxes them.

All depends on the person of course :)

Everything and nothing is tedious. One person's tedium is another person's passion. Otherwise those mods wouldn't exist (and they tend to be popular).

Of course. I would hope I wouldn't have to add "to me" for that to be understood. I'm clearly talking about my experience and nobody else's.

I've been dabbling with Cataclysm: DDA lately, and the nature of that game makes the crafting and the survival aspects integral to the game. They ARE the game. So stuff I usually don't want to bother with does a 180 and becomes the draw. In Skyrim, I found that having to deal with those things took up too much time and headspace, taking away from the things I enjoy the game for (the exploration and the quests)

I also felt a huge disconnect between what the game/mod was telling me ("you're hungry") and actually in any way relating that to actual hunger. All I did in the game was open a menu with a click and "eat" something from my inventory with another click. Food isn't hard to find or obtain. It didn't matter what I ate or when or whether it was cooked or not. Just click, click. Very unsatisfying.

Frostfall was better, but I definitely turned the settings down. You get cold so fast it's silly. I look like the cast of The Thing and I'm dying of hypothermia while people with half the clothes are wandering around without a care in the world.

Last edited:
What I womder about permadeath games is how do most people play them or you guys who tried them? do you wuick save to avoid dewth during the games or do you play the way theyre mewnt to be played and domt save for long epriods and actually start over when you die?

Elder Scrolls games, especially with bunches of mods, just aren't stable enough for that kind of thing, IMHO. You'll be playing along, something will bug out, and you'll find yourself a half mile above the landscape... briefly. Game over. Start again.

What I womder about permadeath games is how do most people play them or you guys who tried them? do you wuick save to avoid dewth during the games or do you play the way theyre mewnt to be played and domt save for long epriods and actually start over when you die?

In an actual ironman game, it doesn't matter if you save or not. If you die, you die. You don't and can't reload.

It's not something I'm into, generally. It takes a very specific kind of game. I don't reload in Xcom unless half my party gets wiped or something unfair/glitchy happens, for example.

I would never, ever play that way in a game like Skyrim. Skyrim isn't designed from the ground up to be a game in which you never die.

Exactly, games have to be designed for that in mind. Some are not. Skyrim certainly is not.

I also have little interest in ironman / hardcode modes for games like Path of Exile / Diablo. Playing those forces you into a very, very tedious playstyle that I just do not like.

On the other hand, there's many rogue-likes and rogue-lites where permadeath is perfectly fine. Here, it helps if each attempt is considerably different. It also helps if even a succesful playthrough is considerably shorter than in games without permadeath. And mechanics where even a failure (death) brings you some type of progress are a welcome motivation.

I can't think of anything I would find less fun then playing a game in ironman mode myself. I get to die once in real life. I don't need that in my games.

Back
Top Bottom