Anime Discussion Thread

Thinking of indeed taking a peek at Crunchyroll's free content, e.g., for Nodame Cantabile and Yuri on ice.
Nodame Cantabile is one of my all-time favorites. It's all about the (classical) music and the love for music. Very inspiring. If you yearn for more after watching this, I can highly recommend two live-action music-themed movies: August Rush and The Red Violin.

And for an anime series about acting instead of music, there's Glass Mask. Circus and acrobatics: Kaleido Star.

I tried Yuri on Ice once but couldn't get into it.

I actually (should) know French! It is just too much effort watching and translating :)

Thanks for the suggestions, better jot those Japanese titles down. They are hard to remember…

I installed the crunchyroll app. First of all bleach is not available:
"Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region."
then I was excited as I found Nodame Cantabile. However, it is not the anime version (which I assume there is) but a live action version of the manga!
http://www.crunchyroll.com/nodame-cantabile-drama

Does the paid version of crunchyroll ofter more content, or are licensing limitations per region the only factor?

Paid version will not lift region restriction. On any platform.
If it says something is not available in your neighborhood, no amount of $ will solve it. Sadly, they don't want your money. Go figure.

Yes, was wondering if the free version would limit the content even more, but apparantly not.

And of course you are wrong, some amount of $ will solve it. About $12 per month to be exact, or even free if you can tolerate some quirkiness. I'm trying that latter option for a week. Seems I can watch bleach after all.

Episode 2 of AOT seasons 2 is out and I'm reading comments from people who were not spoiled certain plot points since they were revealed in the manga years ago...

It's better than actually watching the show itself.

Flavors of youth. From the creator(s) of your name. It is more of the same, so if you didn't like the previous ones you won't like this one. It's a feature film with three short stories: something about lost opportunities, a female model in fashion losing her way, and something about noodles to give you an idea what to expect :).
There is not really a plot to speak of and it's pretty open ended. Watch it for the animation and music first whenever you need some quiet time. Although animation wise it seems not as good as your name and co.

The dragon prince. It's rated 7+ and it shows, but I do (once in a while) like the simple characters and the straightforward story (so far). I'd guess it is from the same creators as avatar and the legend of Korra. I always liked their art and story telling so that's why I gave it a chance. I don't regret it so far.

Zombieland Saga is probably the show of Fall 2018.

Never change Japan.

LOL no. I can see why it's funny to some, why hilarious to others and why cringy to the rest.

I do suggest watching an episode or two before judging. Maybe it's exactly what you were searching lately.
To me it's not good enough to invest more time with it. Dropped it. Sorry.

I watched both episodes released for it, I also watched the first few episodes of about 5 others "talked about" animes of Fall 2018 and Zombieland was the most entertaining so far.

It's a rather shitty anime seasons.

Have to agree. Nothing seems interesting although I have to admit not checking absolutely everything as am into games most of the time now. I've even stopped following Tokyo Ghoul.

Rather shitty anime seasons,you say?
You gentlemen must be joking,right?
I understand everyone has ones own tastes and whatnot. But,this year of anime is anything but shitty. Perhaps not the best year,I might add that.
Also,true...I did not watch a lot of series this year. But,the ones I watched where almost all great quality anime.
Not going to leave you in the dark and going to share which are the ones I watched so far,at least the worthy ones. Also some I plan to watch.

Winter season:
Violet Evergarden
Sora yori mo Tooi Basho
Koi wa Ameagari no You ni
Darling in the FranXX

Spring season:
Megalo Box
Steins;Gate 0 (did not watched it,yet,but c'mon it is Steins Gate) :)
Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season

Summer season:
Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 (also did not watched it,yet,but c'mon, its AOT) :)
Chuukan Kanriroku Tonegawa (plan to watch)
Satsuriku no Tenshi (plan to watch)
Angolmois: Genkou Kassenki (plan to watch)

I did not even get to see what is the winter season about. And still watching some series from this winters season.

The Fall season. Not whole year, just the quarter that started. I mean, he started with Fall 2018 so I thought we're talking about that.
And I ment fresh entries not ongoing series like Steins Gate, Attack on Titan or Black Clover (not saying everyone will love each of them ofc).

Only the Fall season,eh? Perhaps I misunderstood.
But at the end of the post it does say "It's a rather shitty anime seasons."
I thought it is for all the seasons of 2018.

Anyhow,I got my little input anyways,so... :)

Only the Fall season,eh? Perhaps I misunderstood.
But at the end of the post it does say "It's a rather shitty anime seasons."

I meant Fall 2018, the "s" at the end is a typo. Although, the only anime of the Summer season I finished was Boku no Hero Academia, so I guess maybe we should keep the "s" at the end, lol.

The AOT season was based off the most boring arc of the manga, I didn't even bother watching the last 2 episodes.

Colorful: A recently deceased person is reincarnated into a teenager who commited suicide. Only for a limited time to correct his sins with some help of a heavenly caretaker.

I liked the premise, however it is (seriously) much darker than anticipated. The way the reincarnated teenager treats the mother (who feels very guilty) just made me mad. After the initial shock I started to like it towards the end. In fact, it is still growing on me and now I think it is great.

Definitely not for everyone, it is a realistic depiction of depression, guilt, etc. It really is bittersweet, accompanied by some fitting piano music (a choir version of an Angela Aki song)
Luckily it has a completely happy ending that will make you feel good.

Oh my!
Watched Asobi Asobase. Now that is some funny and crazy series. And a wtf anime at the same time. But,man,did I enjoyed it or what?!

If you liked lets say, Prison School and Shimoneta. Give this one a shot.

Saw this referenced in the I Do Not Like Anime thread and thought I'd post again after a long time away. Also thanks to I think to joxer for suggesting crunchyroll at some point. Over the summer I subscribed to VRV to get rid of ads and realized that I watched more of that than any other streaming service for past 6 months.

Anyway, just finished a few or are waiting for final episodes of a some simulcasts and just wanted to put up some of what I watched and thought of it. Yeah not really that useful but might be useful to someone.

Steins;Gate - Time bending anime. Top notch fantasy.
Steins;Gate 0 - Sequel. Just as good as first.
Goblin Slayer - See title. Violent D&D fantasy done right. Brutal first ep.
Gate - Modern SDF armed forces invade fantasy world. Pretty solid overall.
Violet Evergarden - Super soldier girl becomes writer. Liked but not for everyone.
Bloom Into You - High school lesbians. Watch with SO; Liked Yuu's conflicted mind.
SSO: Alicization - Yet another gamers trapped in MMO. Decent but others were better.
SSO Alternate: Gun Gale Online - Yet another gamers trapped in MMO. Better than Alicization.
Log Horizon - Yet another gamers trapped in MMO. Better than I thought it would be. (Currently watching)
Death march to the Parallel World Rhapsody - Yet another gamers trapped in MMO. Better than I thought it would be.
Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? - No. Not bad but too much fan service.
Black Clover - No comment.
Record of Grancrest War - Fantasy. Didn't finish but story moves briskly.
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai - High school romance and detective story. Watch with SO; not that bad.
Fate/stay night - Ok but weird story.
Re:Zero - Guy trapped in fantasy world with time loops. Decent. Not sure I finished it.
Samurai 7 - Futurization of film with same name. Dropped after first ep.
Sacred Blacksmith - Super sword fantasy. Dropped after 5 ep or so.

Some of these are on crunchyroll, funimation, or hidive. VRV dropped funimation for hidive in October so I couldn't finish everything I was watching but happy with hidive at the moment.

Black Clover - No comment.
That one is a guilty pleasure of mine. The story sux, characters too, animation is as cheap as possible, but it's fun. :)
Possibly the craziest episode of the year happened in this title 2 weeks ago (witch forest fight, prior to "bloodpool").

Watching Steins Gate 0, 14 episodes in.
And,I don't know...would not say that is just as good as the prequel.
I mean,it is very good. I just don't feel that weight and struggle,or risks that Okabe was taking and going through. And the sequel supposed to be darker themed and more psychological.
Nevertheless,a very good anime. And it does have a different pacing than the prequel,I would say.

Back
Top Bottom