The TV Series discussion thread

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor
We are watching a cool series, Merlin. Basically, it's the adventures of Merlin during the days of King Arthur and all that, wrapped up in a nice series that has a lot of laughs, drama, and a few thrills here and there. Cool and kinda cheesy CGI.

It's a fun show, Ww've really grown to like it. Watched about 15 episodes and theyre mostly good. All available on Netflix streaming if youre interested.

Yeah, sonny loves Merlin. Mostly the guy himself and his hairdo :).

We were worried once the dragon (i guess his name's kilgarrah) was freed, he'd be off the show. Thankfully, he still swoops in now and then when they need a deus ex machina ='.'=

Merlin is airing on AXN all over europe and I can totally agree - it's awsome. In UK it's airing on BBC.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mjlxv

But... It's movie thread, I asked a few weeks ago why don't we have series thread too.

Well, create one!

Right, create one. We'll make it stick :)

Perhaps it'd be better to strip the Merlin posts out of this thread as a starter of a new thread.
That series definetly deserves to be a "catch-all" as it's actual targeted audience is whole family. If you put aside mythological creatures and fantasy, you will discover that it's actually a tale of friendship.
These series are still airing (currently ongoing Season 5) and unlike some bobmastically advertised ones that were cancelled after just one or two seasons (The Boss, The mob doctor - just examples - and the biggest fail example with the same setting: HBO's Camelot) I can't say there is a quick end or cancellation coming.

The legend this series is based on has it's end but I believe when the series reach that part it'll still move on with stuff that is not a part of the legend but is speculated through many documentaries about Arthur and Merlin (for example I've seen one where it seems that Merlin died as an old man and was burried in France).

Merlin "tricks" you into watching it even if you lost an interest of current court/political/social aspects - one of the series' strongest points is humor, every episode contains just enough of it to lure you into watching the next episode just to see what new prank will happen.

Also in many episodes there is a special guest star. If you believe only in series with known names as guests, just watch the first episode where you'll enjoy one of memorable performances from Eve Myles (appeared in Doctor Who, got one of lead roles in Torchwood, gave voice for a NPC in DA2 sorry dunno who exactly, known widely as one of Wales' best kept secrets).

There you go...

Awsome!

But first a pause from me to give a day or two everyone who wants to check out Merlin. If for whatever reason you can't rent or find where to watch the pilot episode just to see what's the fuss about, you can watch it for mere $2 on amazon instant video (US only! *) or get the whole first season on DVD for $22:
http://www.amazon.com/Merlin-The-Complete-First-Season/dp/B001LF347E

And I promise you, once you are done with the season 1, you'll definetly want to watch the next season. Seasons, in fact.

If still not convinced to give it a try, check what others say on imdb comments/forum:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1199099/

* Amazon Instant Video customers must use a US credit card and billing address.
Orders can only be completed by US residents while inside the United States - the 48 contiguous states, Alaska, Hawaii, and the District of Columbia.

Last edited:
I have the complete Merlin collection and can only agree with everyone else. It's cheesy at times, but always fun and family friendly.

Yes, Merlin is great to watch with the family.

Looks very interesting definitively going to buy it.
Currently watching Mad men on tv(5th season is broadcasting in my country) drama series with very well written characters and dialogs.And i am also on 5th season of Dexter(I bought season 1-5 on DVD on amazon and definitively going to get rest)brilliant series that follows life of serial killer Dexter Morgan.

There are quite a few good family shows out there, such as Once Upon a Time, Glee and Psych. There are also a few shows with substance such as Suits and Mentalist, Burn Notice and Covert Affairs. Then there are some just for 'fun' such as Arrow, Beauty and the Beast. Only if you're desperate do you watch the reality 'crap'!! :)

Merlin's a weird show, in that I dont really know who to root for besides Merlin and Gaius. The factions are all so flawed. Uther's an asshole tyrant - but he kinda has a point at times. I end up feeling sorry for him, then he comes back around and pisses me off. Morganna's an evil bitch, but she's kinda got a point at times too. I end up feeling sympathetic to her, then she does something else that makes me loathe her again. Arthur's a jerk and makes me cringe at his treatment of Merlin, but he ends up showing a good side often which makes me forgive him. Hell, even the dragon has had me going back and forth!

I guess that's one of it's endearing qualities, there isnt just a simple Really Good guy/ Evil Bad guy thing going on.

We tried watching American Horror Story, and surprisingly I just do not like it after giving it a few episodes. You'd think I'd be all over it, it's got the core elements that I'd like - horror and kink. How can you screw that up? They just do, it's an ugly show and a strangely uncomfortable watch. I'm cringing every time someone opens their mouth. Removed from the Q

There are quite a few good family shows out there, such as Once Upon a Time, Glee and Psych. There are also a few shows with substance such as Suits and Mentalist, Burn Notice and Covert Affairs. Then there are some just for 'fun' such as Arrow, Beauty and the Beast. Only if you're desperate do you watch the reality 'crap'!! :)
If you like Once Upon a Time, you really ought to take a look at Grimm. Kind of a similar setup (fairy tales crossing into real life), but with a different focus. Although you don't have to watch the entire thing (they're in the middle of season 2 now) in order, it probably helps because the writers respect their audience enough to refer back to previous events and even to throw in the occasional "not obvious" foreshadowing. The acting talent would probably be considered middling, but doesn't detract from the experience.

I'm still watching Revolution and Last Resort, but I can't say I'd give them a glowing rec. If the DVR didn't automatically go out and record the new episodes for me, I probably wouldn't miss them.

Still loving The Walking Dead and the Wild Dogs sometimes watch that with me, but I'm not sure I could come up with any reasonable excuse to call that "family entertainment". ;)

Still loving The Walking Dead and the Wild Dogs sometimes watch that with me, but I'm not sure I could come up with any reasonable excuse to call that "family entertainment". ;)

Think of it as educational. In case of a real zombie apocalypse, they'll be ready. :)

I feel the same about Revolution as you do Dte. Grimm intrigues me, so I might try to catch up with it next year and grab hold of season 1. I'll see if my son has it; he collects TV series DVD's. I used to love Chuck, but sadly it finished last year.

Speaking of TV shows, I have watched a few, ( mostly high profile ones like TWD, Dexter, House M.D, South Park, etc) but Breaking Bad is the only thing I would recommend to someone. Other shows, no matter how good they are, always have their ups and downs (after a while, mostly downs), but BrBa is the only one that starts strong and just keeps getting better and better.

Merlin and Once upon a Time are our family shows as well. Hubby loves Burn Notice (mainly because of Sam), Sons of Anarchy (I like that one, too - the 'greyest' series out here ATM, or so I feel) and Life (Captain Tiidwell!!!), while I'm also partial to funnier stuff like Leverage, NCIS and Psych. My favorite TV show would be Spartacus, however. I mean, hey, it's focused on the important things: Sex, violence and intrigue. Sometimes all of it in a single scene ...

Back
Top Bottom