Do NOT download/ install latest Windows 10 update, you may lose files

With the release of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, version 1809, we’re empowering a new era of personal productivity. We’ve focused on helping people across their work and personal lives by offering tools for whole life experiences

:rotfl:

This is one of the many downsides of the concept of an "OS as a service", in which major updates are just rolled out automatically. In the past, such major changes would have been done in service packs, and people would have been cautioned to make backups and be prepared for possible problems. Then you decided when to make the move in your own time.

I use Windows Update MiniTool to choose what, when and if to install Windows 10 updates. Only a madman has Windows auto-updates enabled (sorry to all you madmen out there :p).

Really hate MS and their fucking updates. I don't think you can turn it off completely either? I have everything turned off there, but i got a huge update some month or so ago, it changed a lot of things including the ability to just right click the sound icon to select which sound interface you currently want to use (something i use a lot since i have 5 sound outputs that i use for different tasks). Now i have to click sound settings, then go into its options, then change sound interface. 3 steps instead of 1, a big downgrade for me.

No, there's no way to refuse it completely, unless you use some sort of hack. So you either let MS do what they will, or you could use a solution like Windows Update MiniTool, which is maintained by an anonymous Russian known as Mr. X (seriously). I'm not saying there's anything necessarily wrong with it, but, you know, not the best two options in the world. :p

Windows 7 is not an option if you are a gamer and want to use latest direct x etc.. There are games which are win 10 only too..

The Search function was also totally bugged out on windows 7, it almost never worked as it should. I could search for e.g .wav or .nif and it found 0 files on my hdd's (when it should have found tens of thousands of files). It's was a fairly well known problem and MS never fixed it afaik.

I haven't found a game that I want to play as of yet that has forced me to upgrade from Windows Seven. I just keep hoping that continues.

And that link that Ripper shared, that is some straight up shady stuff, if true. I guess I need to take really good care of my machine!

No, there's no way to refuse it completely, unless you use some sort of hack. So you either let MS do what they will, or you could use a solution like Windows Update MiniTool, which is maintained by an anonymous Russian known as Mr. X (seriously). I'm not saying there's anything necessarily wrong with it, but, you know, not the best two options in the world. :p

Can't go wrong with letting Russians into your system. :p

There are other ways…

Sure, and my conscience could probably just about survive such a thing, but it still puts us back in the realm of hacks from unknown sources just to make the OS behave itself.

Sure, and my conscience could probably just about survive such a thing, but it still puts us back in the realm of hacks from unknown sources just to make the OS behave itself.

Sure, but then again, a known source that is Microsoft is not exactly to be trusted. Case in point: look at this thread's title.
Besides, there are more positives to LTSB than just control over updates.

Right, and I certainly have no love for MS. But, I would make a distinction between my distrust of them, and the potential risks of hacking the core of the OS with blackboxed hacks of unknown provenance.

Back
Top Bottom