Gamification of Reality

wolfgrimdark

Follower of Fenris Wolf
Original Sin Donor
Just an interesting article applying game mechanics to real life:

https://aeon.co/essays/how-employers-have-gamified-work-for-maximum-profit

Gamification is the application of game elements into nongame spaces. It is the permeation of ideas and values from the sphere of play and leisure to other social spaces. It’s premised on a seductive idea: if you layer elements of games, such as rules, feedback systems, rewards and videogame-like user interfaces over reality, it will make any activity motivating, fair and (potentially) fun. ‘We are starving and games are feeding us,’ writes Jane McGonigal in Reality Is Broken (2011). ‘What if we decided to use everything we know about game design to fix what’s wrong with reality?’

Fish factory workers are already grinding. :p

Every so often I get this odd feeling

What if I'm an NPC in someone's game?

Every so often I get this odd feeling

What if I'm an NPC in someone's game?
Woah that's some straight up Matrix talk.:cool:

So do you want the red or blue pill?
After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Max Payne had one of best 4th wall breaking moments

maxpaynevidya.jpg

There is a great book series by Piers Anthony based on a world where gaming is part of the society, not just like what we have though, but where it is a fundamental part of the society and very important in gaining status and wealth if I recall correctly...it was a long time ago when I read it, but it was quite superb. To the degree that just thinking about it - I will have to read it again sometime.

1. Split Infinity
2. Blue Adept
3. Juxtaposition

The original series was a trilogy which is what I would recommend, but other books were also written and added to the series later. I suspect it is like most things, where the other books were mainly done for financial reasons to capitalize on a successful series, and that the first books were by far the best ones to read.

I know him from a few books of his Xanth series.

What disturbs me much more are those well-known images and videos of I think it was U.S. pilots bombing in Iraq ( I think it was Iraq ) and commenting it as if it was just a video game.

Before thinking of gamifying stuff that is not supposed to be games,maybe better to focus on gamifying stuff that is supposed to be games, like vid products.

Back
Top Bottom