MATLAB? Mathematica? MAPLE? Other?

I know very well what an infinite loop is and that is find and dandy; however, infinite recursion is problematic…. Btw I prefer do { } while (true);

function infiniteRecursionIsAProblem() {
infiniteRecursionIsAProblem();​
}

I would think that you have a minor bug in your program Pibbur; as it would never end as presented. I think you meant:

pibbur(object who){while(who) pibbur(not who);}

but maybe I have no clue and you had it correct the first time.

That depends on the purpose the program. Muahahahahaha!!!!!

pibbur(object who) {while(true) {Console.WriteLine("Infinite recursion is intentional"); pibbur(who);}}

"I hope you boys are using MATLAB responsibly in there!"

"Yes, Sir!" <sniggers>

function infiniteRecursionIsAProblem() {
infiniteRecursionIsAProblem();​
}
If you're going to be evil, you might as well go all the way.

Sub Main()
DealWithIt:
GoSub DealWithIt
Return​
End Sub

Recommendations (other than "don't waste money on math")?
I prefer "there is no reason to waste money on math".
I used to use Octave. It's free, open source, and very similar ("large compatible") to MATLAB.
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/

I can't remember which front I used for it, but it was pretty good.

[Edit: just noticed SpoonFULL's post. I suck at the internets, which is part of why I'm spending less time on it]

sagemath vs octave:
http://sagemath.blogspot.com/2007/12/why-isnt-sage-just-part-of-octave.html

I prefer "there is no reason to waste money on math".
I used to use Octave. It's free, open source, and very similar ("large compatible") to MATLAB.
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/

I can't remember which front I used for it, but it was pretty good.

[Edit: just noticed SpoonFULL's post. I suck at the internets, which is part of why I'm spending less time on it]

While these days there is some overlap, Matlab is aimed at numerical computing and Maple/Mathematica is for symbolic stuff. 99% of the time (including images) you need the former.

However, as mentioned just use python with the excellent opencv library and all its scientific computing libraries (numpy, scipy, matplotlib, etc.). Take a look at anaconda for an all-in-one package with all those libraries. It includes (or can be installed inside anaconda) most IDEs:
- spyder if you want a matlab-like environment where you execute stuff on the fly
- though I'm a huge fan of pycharm for all it's convenience features

Found this as an example of how to use a math package (in this case Mathematica)
approximations.png

pibbur who definitely would like to do things like this.

The light year one is awesome!

Thank you very much for all your replies. I was pleasantly surprised, didn't think som many of you had so much to contribute (shame on me).

I guess you want a report when after I've decided what to do, but that will take some time, I'm unfortunately too busy with other projects.

pibbur who now NATURALly realizes that his choices REALly aren't as COMPLEX as first thought. And has decided that his PRIME choice will be one of the open source packages.

If you're going to be evil, you might as well go all the way.

Sub Main()
DealWithIt:
GoSub DealWithIt
Return​
End Sub

Forgot to like this

Or when your compiler will not allow recursion

void ping() {

pong();​
}

void pong() {

ping();​
}

incidentally, I recently had to give this tip to someone still messing with NWN Scripting. Since events happen at the end of compiling IIRC on Aurora I told him to have the script EXEC itself after a delay to invoke script recursion.

Back
Top Bottom