RPGWatch Feature: Original Sin - Second Preview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
I had the opportunity to play Divinity: Original Sin at Larian Studios a few weeks ago and my findings of that visit can be found in this article.
One thing that has completely changed during the last year is the background story. There are two main characters, a man and a woman, who are both students at the headquarters of the Source Hunters. This organization has been created by the council of seven to ban the use of Source, which is used for magic. The reason for this is that even though Source can be used for good, it can also be used for evil. The Source Hunters are responsible for locating the users of Source and stopping them from using it again.
More information.

Sounds really good. Maybe I can convince my wife to play this one with me...

Awesome preview! Interesting about the story changes as well.

Nice preview. As one of the people somewhat concerned about the single player vs multi as I will be single only, I do still wonder how the dialog will play out in practice in single. Being turnbased I was never worried about the combat, controlling 2 characters in turnbassed combat is easy. Statements like these:

"Divinity: Original Sin uses a dialogue system in which the two protagonists can disagree with each other on the actions to take. Secondary stats like intimidation and charming are used to determine who will win such a discussion. The results of the choices made does have an influence on the relation between the two protagonists, making it possible to develop them into haters, lovers or anything in between, which will have its influence in the game."

and:

"It has a unique dialogue system which makes it more interesting in multiplayer mode."

make me question a little. I hope they can pull it off.

The rest looks great.

"In short the game felt and looked like Divine Divinity on steroids"

Say no more, this sounds fabulous.
Excellent preview Myrthos, the more I see the more I like, nice for a change.

The conversation system is the same in single player and multiplayer modes. In single player mode this means that you as a player can decide to shape each of the two protagonist in a different way (good vs evil for example). In multiplayer you only influence the behavior of your own character not the other character.
That is the main difference in my opinion.

Thanks for the preview.

Is it a seamless world? Or what kind of loading between areas can be expected?

Also

"You can't just take everything you want as that is considered stealing and you might even be thrown in jail because of that."

Please tell me the guards aren't psychic. Can you use stealth to get the job done?

Please tell me the guards aren't psychic. Can you use stealth to get the job done?
They drag you into jail and you and your partner (who is outside the jail) have to find a way to get out of there.
You cannot use stealth for this as far as I know. You have to find a trick to lure the person away and than you can take what you want. Like setting fire to a boat in the harbor. Panic everywhere. Everybody goes to the boat to put the fire out, you are clear to take what you want. This is from an actual example in the game.

Another pretty box, manual and cloth map. And a game to play. Maybe next year I'll have more time, so I'm stockin' up :)

Back
Top Bottom