What Gender do you play? - Page 4 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » What Gender do you play?

View Poll Results - What gender do you prefer to play in an RPG?

I prefer to play as a male 13 22.41%
I prefer to play as a female 7 12.07%
I enjoy playing as both a male and a female 37 63.79%
I strongly dislike being forced to play a gender I don't enjoy playing 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Default What Gender do you play?

March 1st, 2020, 19:18
I definitely prefer playing as a male.

I'm always trying to immerse myself in games - and I find it a lot easier to immerse myself in the role of a male than in the role of a female.

That said, it doesn't actually bother me much when I'm forced to play a woman/girl. I just accept that I'm not going to be immersing myself to the same extent.

Ultimately, it's the combined experience that's key - and there are many games where the gender of the character I'm playing is all but irrelevant.

That said, there are games where my role becomes paramount - and given that I ALWAYS play some variation of myself if I can (or how I like to perceive myself) - there are games where it would definitely be a problem if I had to play as a female.

As a sidenote, I find it just as hard to immerse myself in predefined characters as I do in female characters.

What I want to do is play a fantasy version of myself - not someone else.

However, if it serves the story - and the game isn't about freedom and immersion, then I don't really care.

StintDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)

March 3rd, 2020, 17:25
When given the option, for an RPG with one main character, I prefer to play as a male character simply because it is easier to immerse myself into that role. In party based RPGs I like to have a party that is roughly half males and half females.

But if an RPG requires a female character I can still enjoy it a lot. I've had lots of fun playing "A Dance With Rogues" NWN module. The romance between Princess and Pia is also one of the most well done romances I've ever seen in a game.

Generally I prefer RPGs that let you choose and make your own characters but I'd be perfectly happy playing some with female main character if they're fun. For example, if CDPR makes their next Witcher universe game with Ciri as the main character I expect I could enjoy it very much.
Last edited by daveyd; March 4th, 2020 at 01:12. Reason: typo

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

March 3rd, 2020, 19:42
Just started Outward and i'm forced to play as a female, boy are the male character choices butt ugly, female aren't much better but slightly more pleasing on the eye.

skally_wag

Sentinel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

March 3rd, 2020, 20:16
tongue somewhat in cheek:

It depends on the game:

If it is a game with great graphics, over the shoulder camera and single-character I will choose a female as I'll probably be staring at that character for hours. I'm male. I strongly prefer looking at females; virtual or not.

If it is a party-based game with good graphics, I typically play male if there are going to be romances between party members. In a game like Fallout 4, I've played both male and female as different female characters have different or no preference.

Games with poor graphics where the sex is hard to tell, I'll play male. I'm a guy and relate to guys better and most dialog assumes a male character even if you play a girl.

I've never played a male/male relationship in any game as the thought sickens me. However, I'm fine with games that offer that option because I'm not the only person in the world. I used to feel differently, but times have changed.

One final note: I feel weird playing jRPGs where my grown male character tries to romance a female that looks and talks like she's 12 but has fully matured female anatomy. Those games creep me out and I can't play them as a male. I play those as a similar looking girl I know it's just wrong
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

March 5th, 2020, 07:16
I often play as a guy the first time, then switch genders on the second to see if there is a game play difference. Usually the only time I notice any is when a romance convo pops up. It would be interesting to see more reaction to your gender in the game.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

March 5th, 2020, 09:20
I am male, but I've been preferentially playing female characters pretty much since it became possible. (The earliest I can recall was playing a female Avatar in Ultima VII. That was funny because the plot included a sex scene, which went lesbian if you were playing as a female. I'm not at all sure that was intended, but it may have been a first.)

I find the people who can only identify with protagonists who physically resemble themselves a bit baffling, TBH. My mind just doesn't work that way. Characters who are forced to act in ways I don't want them to are much more annoying to me.

khaight

Sentinel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

March 6th, 2020, 12:41
I am a man and prefer to play as a man so that its get easy for me to immersive myself in the game and the game world.

However more than the gender, the personality is even more important to me. The core personality of the character has to match myself in some ways. So if the game has set male character who is no way likes me then I am more than happy to play female who is like me in personality.

The best male character I have played is Geralt from Witcher.
The best female character I have played is Aloy from HZD.

lostforever

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

March 6th, 2020, 14:05
We need another thread for the best lead character per gender.
If noone will open it, in my case from those I've played:

Predefined in RPGs:
Best female: ME1 FemShep and lead character in Berseria
Best male: PST TNO and DoS2 skeleton

Custom character in RPGs:
Best female: FO2 with sex appeal trait
Best male: DAO with any combo of attributes/traits

NonRPG:
Best female: TR1 rebooted Lara Croft
Best male: AC2 Ezio Auditore
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)

March 7th, 2020, 00:26
femshep rulez

posfan12

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

March 7th, 2020, 20:23
I don't really care but if the game is a first person over the shoulder camera shot then I definitely like playing female. My other hand plays the male . . . .

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

March 17th, 2020, 18:54
Usually in fantasy settings i play a man and in scifi or post apocalyptic settings a woman.
Maybe i'm just influenced by movies: cliche knight/hero vs Ripley/Sarah Connor.

Dazed

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

March 25th, 2020, 03:30
I play a female whenever possible.

They just look cooler decked out in armor n weaponry, and for some reason (maybe some latent paternal instinct) I tend to care for them more than male characters.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

March 25th, 2020, 03:41
I tend to play male but when I want to change things up a bit I'll play a female. BG2 I played a female assassin which was fun and the interactions were quite different.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » What Gender do you play?