What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Logan is one of the few Marvel superhero films that I would actually watch again. The only other X-Men related film I liked was X-Men: First Class.

The Shape of Water 9/10

What can I say, not often a movie captures all that is evil with humans and at the same time all that is amazing about humans.

The Shape of Water 9/10

What can I say, not often a movie captures all that is evil with humans and at the same time all that is amazing about humans.

Looking forward to that one. Waiting for the Bluray so it looks decent on my projector. Last couple of trips to the cinema were spoiled by dickheads talking and messing around with their phones.

Looking forward to that one. Waiting for the Bluray so it looks decent on my projector. Last couple of trips to the cinema were spoiled by dickheads talking and messing around with their phones.

I was really taken back by this movie. Well written, actors were spot on. Just a movie that really made me think about how we as humans interact with anything that is different on both sides.

not often a movie captures all that is evil with humans
Dart will put 0/10 on it, I mean humans are saints.
Me? Lemme check if I can preorder it on bluray, such thing is a musthave!

Recently(-ish) watched one of my favourite films last year, On the Beach at Night Alone from Korean master Hong Sang-soo. Probably his most personal and heartbreaking film yet, akin to those of Rohmer's. And also, a bunch of experimental shorts.

Watched Betting on Zero, a documentary about the corporate scumbaggery of the Herbalife pyramid scheme, and the eccentric billionaire on a crusade to see them fall, such that he's bet a fortune on shorting their stock. If you enjoy throwing things at the telly as the most hideous people make a fast buck, I recommend it.

yesterday Nocturnal animals, it's a very intriguing film 10/10

Finally got to watch Wolf of Wall Street. This film really delivered! I have to give a big round of applause to Leonard di Caprio. I've known him to be a talented actor, but this was his funniest role so far.

And it has been quite some time since I've laughed this much during a film. One of the most memorable trickster stories I've seen. It wasn't at all difficult to guess how this tale would likely end, but the journey was really worth of watching.

By the way I think it was falsely labeled as a drama film, when it felt more like a satire of broker business. Nearly all the characters in it are quite unlikeable, but so over the top.

Last edited:
Because I'm gonna play the game in a few days and apparently it's a game prologue so I watched:
Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV

And I wish I didn't. I'll be as short as I can.
- S.B. dies. Again. Not predictable at all.
- Platige animation is possibly the best they ever made
- Screenplay is a worthless piece of s., I must remember never to watch anything written by Takashi Hasegawa, a 5 year old kid would do a better job
- Not a single character managed to show any quality emotion
- Completley wasted voiceover talent
- The whole thing feels like copypasted Star Wars Rogue One insult, a thing noone wanted or needed, yet it's there to milk more $

Can't remember the last time I wished 2 hours of my life back. Please don't repeat my mistake and don't watch this trash.
1/10 and that 1 is only because of spectacular CGI.

Apparently also a nonCGI anime series connected to FF15 exist. There is no way I'd ever watch it. Even if it gets best anime of all times award or something. Not after this debacle.

Last edited:
Watched I, Tonya. Can't say I was particularly enthused about the prospect, but it was a way better movie than I expected. Quite original, with a nice strand of dark humor.

I often find the Oscars pretty cringey - lots of egos behaving as if a bloody industry award is an apotheosis - but I did enjoy this history of cinema montage.

Thumb up for including clips from actual masterpieces (examples North by Northwest, Metropolis) and from old movie versions far Superior to later remakes and reboots (Robin Hood with Errol Flynn for example).
I froze how good those felt.

Thumb down for scenes from consumerist garbage (examples Jackson's LotR, Titanic), thankfully those were rare stains.

About Oscars criteria… Cmon, it turned into a political award ages ago. Noone cares about the actual art there, just politics. Nevertheless I'm shilling for Get Out.
EDIT:
What, it's over? Didn't know. Well I didn't watch The Shape of Water yet so dunno, maybe it deserved it. Ah well, best screenplay went to Get Out and from what I've seen in past year it's most probably absolutely deserved.

Last edited:
Get Out was a fun film, but I never imagined that it would win Oscar. I didn't think it was that special.

I did like Get Out. It reminded me, in a certain way, of Lost Boys, in that it's a horror comedy that actually works, and has a very unique tone. Bit of a cult classic.

We enjoyed Get Out a great deal, the horror parts were quite mild and it told an excellent story. It wound up on the HBO pretty quickly for being such a fine tale.

Shape of Water was a strange one. It's like it's made of quality pieces, but somehow they don't quite come together, and I didn't really engage with it. Much like trying to bang a big fish, I kept sliding off the surface.

Yea as I said earlier I didn't care for Shape of Water. Personally I thought Lady Bird was by far the best picture of the year. Fantastic movie.

Saw Red Sparrow the other day. So so.Not a great role for JL

Back
Top Bottom