2 Week for a KS Campaign? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Kickstarters » 2 Week for a KS Campaign?

Default 2 Week for a KS Campaign?

February 9th, 2015, 22:46
Off topic perhaps, but I'm starting to wonder if Kickstarter campaigns should be shorter? Successful KS campaigns have a good first week and often a good last few days, but then there is a wide span in the middle where the group is trying to raise interest but not getting many contributions. Perhaps it might be more cost effective to plan a shorter, more intensive campaign with a prominent lead up? Two weeks should do it, I would think--it's long enough to attract most of the same audience, but only half the time is required trying to raise publicity and answer fan questions.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

February 9th, 2015, 23:36
I believe project starters decide the interval.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)

February 10th, 2015, 01:32
I actually think they should be longer, maybe indefinitely as long as the dev is updating and regularly maintaining the page. This would do away with the failed kickstarters relaunching. This would undoubtedly create other problems though.

What I would like to see more though is funding to be closed as soon as the goal is met. Get rid of stretch goals that just prolong development and are often not something initial backers even want. This would also force them ( theoretically) to ask for enough money to actually make the game rather than low ball the number and hope to get more funds or find additional funds after the Kickstarter. Also allow them to publish realistic release dates.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

February 10th, 2015, 04:13
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
What I would like to see more though is funding to be closed as soon as the goal is met. Get rid of stretch goals that just prolong development and are often not something initial backers even want. This would also force them ( theoretically) to ask for enough money to actually make the game rather than low ball the number and hope to get more funds or find additional funds after the Kickstarter. Also allow them to publish realistic release dates.
This will never happen because it's punitive and would cause funding projects to move to other sites.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

February 10th, 2015, 10:43
No, I don't really think so. Seems a month is pretty appropriate overall. I would consider adding time before taking it away, frankly.

It would make more sense to have a minimum and maximum length - and the pitch could have whatever was seen as appropriate by the people behind it.

DArtagnan

Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

February 10th, 2015, 10:49
Don't forget a project can last for sixty days also, but a lot developers don't use it. Two examples of projects that used sixty days are The Mandate, and Star Crawlers.

One negative side effect is your game gets funded slower.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Kickstarters » 2 Week for a KS Campaign?