Witcher 3 - Insider on the Graphics Downgrade - Page 14 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Witcher 3 - Insider on the Graphics Downgrade

Default Witcher 3 - Insider on the Graphics Downgrade

May 19th, 2015, 05:01
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
xbone? as in x bone? are we 12 now?
Calm down teacher. That's been the abbreviation for a long time.

kobold

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

May 19th, 2015, 09:13
Looking good - mainly just fiddling with settings so far. BTW setting Ambient occlusion to HBAO+ makes a huge difference. Also benefits from increased sharpness I reckon. I have a monitor setting for that, but the nVidia tweaking guide has another way to do that.

Would have been nice if they hadn't hooked the keyboard at low level and hard coded some of the key bindings. Reckon they don't have any lefties at CDPR .

And… I'm getting about 45fps at ultra (with full hair works) on a medium/high end system: nvidia 970, i73770 just slighltly over clocked to 4.2ghz @1080p.

Roq

Seeker
Original Sin Donor

May 19th, 2015, 09:25
I must be blind to the effect of Ambient Occlusion then, because I see basically zero difference between it being on or off.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)

May 19th, 2015, 09:32
You can see it more when there are multiple small objects causing shadowing (like under small plants, dark corners, etc). It's subtle and not worth a large decrease in FPS, I think.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

May 19th, 2015, 09:45
You're right, it is indeed subtle. I can see it now though after taking some screenshots and comparing them. I don't notice it when the scene is in motion though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No AO.jpg (136.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg With HBAO.jpg (125.6 KB, 63 views)

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

May 19th, 2015, 10:30
It's not subtle when you know where too look for the effect and how it makes objects looks less detached from the world, e.g for things laying on a table the effect is very prominent.. haven't compared it much in this game but in for example Morrowind (MGE) the effect was extremely nice looking, especially for objects like swords and gems laying on a table.. it's probably more suited for first person view though.

Even in your images the effect is quite strong, you can see how the 3D objects blends in much more natural.
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

May 19th, 2015, 12:17
If you are not seeing much of difference, try upping the contrast and make sure your gamma is neutral - not too much saturation. I tend to prefer quite sharp images, but you can get a disjointed effect and AO just makes it look more natural.

Roq

Seeker
Original Sin Donor

May 19th, 2015, 18:16
I still consider it a very minor effect, unlike trees and bushes always thrashing about as if in a windstorm, or plants and objects clipping through each other.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

May 19th, 2015, 20:56
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to look like there's a windstorm Has anyone played enough to see if there are days that are not windy? I'm still in the tutorial area.. i like weather effects, but if it's always going to look stormy then it's a bit of a let down..
--

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

May 19th, 2015, 21:07
All the videos have the foliage thrashing about. It's constant from what I can tell, and annoying (to me at least).

Thrasher

Wheeee!

May 20th, 2015, 04:39
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
All the videos have the foliage thrashing about. It's constant from what I can tell, and annoying (to me at least).
Yeah, it is way over the top…must be pretty windy in witcher world….plus they all blow at the same angle….
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

May 20th, 2015, 08:42
Well I've adjusted. It does add a lot of visual noise to the scenes though.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

May 21st, 2015, 02:27
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20…-issue-head-on

"Before I get into the nitty-gritty, know that a big patch with 600 changes - including improvements to graphics and graphical settings - was sent to certification today (Wednesday 20th May), and will take between five and seven days to clear. There will be patch notes covering it all."

Good, then i'll wait a few days before i play again.

"It's very important to stress: we are continuously working on the PC version, and we will be adding a lot of stuff, and there is more to come. We've proven it in the past that we support our games and we will be looking at the feedback and trying to make it better."

Sounds good.

"he billowing smoke and roaring fire from the trailer? "It's a global system and it will kill PC because transparencies - without DirectX 12 it does't work good in every game." So he killed it for the greater good, and he focused on making sure the 5000 doors in Novigrad worked instead."

5000 doors? From what i've heard most of the doors there are locked (another forum). Anyone here been there yet?
--

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

May 21st, 2015, 02:46
A patch making the graphics even better sounds great, but no way would I stop playing just to wait for that. This game has its claws in me deep.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

May 21st, 2015, 02:50
That's not just for graphics, most of it is most likely bug fixes.. i usually tend to wait 1-2 years for fixes and mods, but not for this game a week or two i think i can stand.
--

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

May 21st, 2015, 02:55
I have to admit they should tone down the windy waving trees and stuff. Come on, couldn't they have at least varied it a bit? You guys are right, it should not be moving all the time, unless the Witcher world has the same wind speed constantly, and is always windy 24/7.

It would be much better if they had some days where it was still, no wind, some times and days when the wind is blowing just a little, with slight movement, and then some times and days that it is very windy. But not windy all the damn time! lol.

Anyway, good to hear a patch is on the way. And more patches after that to improve and tweak the game too.

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

May 21st, 2015, 02:56
So far, TW3 is amazingly bug-free for a game this size. I'm sure plenty of bugs exist, but I've yet to encounter any myself.

Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
I have to admit they should tone down the windy waving trees and stuff. Come on, couldn't they have at least varied it a bit?
It is varied. The wind blows harder during stormy weather for instance. I agree that it could use a few more levels of animation though.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

May 21st, 2015, 03:02
Well I had one crash. But I am sure I was torquing my laptop at the time with everything at ultra.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

May 21st, 2015, 03:16
Ok, didn't know the wind blows harder during storms. But still, it would be nice to have some days where it was calm all day. I think the reason they have the wind blowing all the time is they think it adds to the liveliness of the world, with constant motion in the background, as well as the wind sound effect playing constantly, but it would feel more realistic to have there be no wind sometimes too.

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

May 21st, 2015, 03:22
To me it reduces the atmosphere strangely enough. It's like a constant visual noise.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Witcher 3 - Insider on the Graphics Downgrade