Cave of Sorrows - Live on Kickstarter - Page 9 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Cave of Sorrows - Live on Kickstarter

Default Cave of Sorrows - Live on Kickstarter

February 28th, 2017, 23:30
Wow, they released this game for sale. Unreal.

https://dragongamedesigns.itch.io/cave-of-sorrows-full

Deleted User

Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

February 28th, 2017, 23:31
I would expect nothing less.
--
"Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar, dark and grim? They must be very dim." David Bowie, All the Madmen (1970)

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)

February 28th, 2017, 23:42
Well Ripper, kudos to you for sniffing it out. Good doggie.

I just have to be more careful going forward. It seems like a silly thing, but when you think a scam is so unprofessional it couldn't possibly be a scam, well, that's certainly something. This really was on the level of a spam email from a prince who wants to deposit $50,000,000 in your bank account ASAP.

Thanks for your efforts, Ripper. It's kind of infuriating that they are now trying to sell this.

Deleted User

March 1st, 2017, 00:23
When Lassie is barking at the old mine shaft, there's usually someone down there.

Anyhow, sorry I snapped at you. A you say, their behavior is infuriating, and if you can imagine that I was as convinced before as you are now of what was going on, you can maybe see why I was getting worked up.

EDIT: I'm actually glad we had this thread, because they've made a memorable enough train wreck this time round, that I think the Watch will be ready for them next time, even if Myrthos doesn't want to prohibit them here.
--
"Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar, dark and grim? They must be very dim." David Bowie, All the Madmen (1970)

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

+1:

March 1st, 2017, 00:31
Pretty interesting…

(1) The Kickstarter was asking for $10 for digital copy ($19 for DVD copy)

(2) The Kickstarter says: "We have been hard at work developing this game for well over a year, although the game is fully playable, there is still a lot to be done. We are seeking your help as most of our funds are depleted, (I've been living on PB&J) I have put a lot of money into this and I won't give up till it is finished and released for all to enjoy. We need the funds for voice acting (we already have the actor)"

(3) RPGCodex scam thread was brought to their attention in a Kickstarter comment. Kickstarter cancelled, with no response anywhere (that I can find) to the accusations.

(4) Suddenly the very same day, the game is somehow "completed" (guess they didn't need those KS funds after all!) and being sold for $6.39, a fraction of what they were wanting people on KS to pay for it.

Seriously, let's not see another news post on RPGWatch promoting these scammers / shovelware artists.

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

March 1st, 2017, 00:45
Be fair, Stingray - it's on sale at 20% off!
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

+1:

March 1st, 2017, 00:55
I'm sorry for barking at you, too, Ripper. I was getting worked up myself because I honestly thought they were a bit weird and mentally "not quite there" but had good intentions. Obviously I was way off.

Anywho, the last update for The Red Hand of Doom was 2015. Not sure why the dev just dropped off the face of the Earth but if someone can track him down I think he would be able to do a successful, and most importantly, real Kickstarter. He has the gameplay there but would need to raise money for art assets and some sort of license of the D&D 3.5 ruleset. Not sure how that all works but IMO it would be worthwhile, if it's even doable.

Deleted User

+1:

March 1st, 2017, 00:57
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
Anywho, the last update for The Red Hand of Doom was 2015. Not sure why the dev just dropped off the face of the Earth but if someone can track him down I think he would be able to do a successful, and most importantly, real Kickstarter. He has the gameplay there but would need to raise money for art assets and some sort of license of the D&D 3.5 ruleset. Not sure how that all works but IMO it would be worthwhile, if it's even doable.
Well, my guess would be that it's the same guys.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Civilization VI

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

March 1st, 2017, 01:02
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
Well, my guess would be that it's the same guys.
I'm not so sure about that. If you look at the development blog for The Red Hand of Doom, it actually seems sane and professional. Constant, competent updates and an overall level of polish there. The re-skin, aka Cave of Sorrows, pales in comparison to the original polished version, and goes as far to literally re-write the text, etc., from TRHoD, yet in a much poorer way (black text on dark brown backgrounds, for example.)

Red Hand of Doom RPG Maker page - https://rpgmaker.net/games/7125/

I also find it funny that a certain user visited the profile of the user who created TRHoD in October 2016 (the creator is a guy named Kaelan. You can see the last visitors to the profile on the site.) I'll let you all take a wild guess who that was.

Here is the profile. Notice the latest visitors section.

http://www.rpgmakercentral.com/user/10426-kaelan/
Last edited by Deleted User; March 1st, 2017 at 01:15.

Deleted User

March 1st, 2017, 01:14
Isn't the open license Pathfinder ruleset essentially D&D 3.5? I believe you would have to come up with new lore, spells etc (ie. not Forgotten Realms), but otherwise I think it should be OK. This is why the ruleset didn't necessarily strike me as a problem.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

+1:

March 1st, 2017, 01:18
I'm sorry for barking at you, too, Ripper. I was getting worked up myself because I honestly thought they were a bit weird and mentally "not quite there" but had good intentions. Obviously I was way off.

D&D 3.5 does not need licensing as long as you are not using setting specific spells or monsters (like Beholders or Mind Flayers) in your games. And it is enough to just rename spells by removing names of Greyhawk mages that invented them.
There are OGL websites with 3.5 rules that already got all that removed and one can use that freely.
Of course you cannot put name D&D anywhere in your game but you can market it as "based on D&D rules".

Archangel

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

March 1st, 2017, 01:24
Interesting stuff from both of you. Thanks!

All I know is that the core of the game itself, i.e. the turn-based combat and character development, shows great promise. It is a very traditional, very "meaningful" pen-and-paper-style D&D ruleset. That is really why I was very excited about it. If the dev who made this can somehow make it all legal and make it work, a Kickstarter would be doable, IMO. Maybe he could raise the money needed for unique art assets, sounds and what not.

Also, the TRHoD game was in fact made with RPG Maker, which is even crazier.

Deleted User

March 1st, 2017, 01:28
The crazy thing is, an RPGmaker game is never going to be about gorgeous graphics anyway. There's tons of acceptable art out there that is open license, and, tons of artists that would give you permission to use their work if you just ask them respectfully.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

+1:

March 1st, 2017, 01:42
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
The crazy thing is, an RPGmaker game is never going to be about gorgeous graphics anyway. There's tons of acceptable art out there that is open license, and, tons of artists that would give you permission to use their work if you just ask them respectfully.
Wow, nice one, Rip! Seems there is a veritable treasure trove out there for would-be RPG developers.

I was quite impressed by the systems in the game as well. I didn't think RPG Maker was capable of that sort of turn-based, "on the spot" combat, for example. It did not really seem like anything I've ever seen made with RPG Maker.

Maybe I'll have to start learning RPG Maker myself, . JK, I don't think I would have the patience to do it.

Deleted User

March 1st, 2017, 17:14
Well, my bad. I wanted to believe they were for real. I didn't think anyone could be that inept, and as someone mentioned in the Codex thread, they don't seem "all there" which I definitely agree with. I was clearly looking too deeply into it, though. It's pretty crazy that people can be that brazen about trying to scam people. Unbelievable.

I am trying to get in touch with the fellow who made The Red Hand of Doom. The game itself has a ton of promise, but the Red Hand of Doom game also uses assets from other games as well. However, I don't think it was going to be sold so I'm not sure how the copyright stuff works then. I imagine it would be okay to give away for free. I'm hoping I can convince the guy to continue work on it, because if you look, his version was much more polished overall. I would love to see the developer of that do a proper Kickstarter. He could raise enough money to get his own art assets crated and make it a proper game.

loading…
Just for your information there are different kind of assets for the RPGMaker. There are assets you can buy, such as Pioneer Valley Graphics. Once you've bought them you are allowed to use them in your games and don't have to pay anything, since you've already reimbured the owner.
Then there are assets that you can use in free games. Normally the creator has put them on the internet states this, they normally only want to be recognized. A number of RPG Maker songs, scripts and graphics fall into this category.
Then there are really and truly absolutely free assets where the owner allows them for use in commercial products as well, but normally wants to be credited. A few of the custom scripts used in Last Dream fall in this category.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

March 1st, 2017, 17:33
Wow, nice one, Rip! Seems there is a veritable treasure trove out there for would-be RPG developers.

I was quite impressed by the systems in the game as well. I didn't think RPG Maker was capable of that sort of turn-based, "on the spot" combat, for example. It did not really seem like anything I've ever seen made with RPG Maker.

Maybe I'll have to start learning RPG Maker myself, . JK, I don't think I would have the patience to do it.
It depends if you like building things. Its like some people are fascinated with Minecraft. I have fun just playing around with it, even though if I ever finish something to a level that I'd actually give it to someone else to play, I'd do it for free. Its just fun building the games for the most part. It's amazing what I've learned over the last 4 years. I can now build much more complex systems and know what is fun, tedious, et. by building it and trying it out. My first attempt at a game was terribly boring. Its also one of the reasons that I occasionally buy an rpgmaker game. Its really interesting to see what people do with the engine, and then I think wow, that's a great idea, how could I do that?

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
+1:

March 1st, 2017, 21:11
Awesome infor, forgottenlor. Thanks! Maybe we need to get together and work on a game like this. The Red Cave of Forgotten Sorrows and Doom!

Deleted User

March 4th, 2017, 20:17
It's like people gave up on defending this thing. This was more interesting when we had cheerleaders in this thread, now it looks to be heading to the Cleve bunker at ludicrous speed.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

March 4th, 2017, 21:00
best crpgs are made in a bunker.
Last edited by Dez; March 4th, 2017 at 21:12.

Dez

Man with the hat
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

March 4th, 2017, 23:16
For free audio there's Kevin MacLeod. He often gets his work ripped off by record companies who claim they own the public domain or original work he puts up on Youtube so they can collect the royalties for the 6 months it takes Youtube to correct their mistake.

https://incompetech.com/

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Kevin_MacLeod/

For sound effects there's

https://www.freesound.org/browse/tags/sound-effects/

http://soundbible.com/free-sound-effects-1.html

Just be careful to pay attention to the license. Some of the free sounds are strictly for non-profit purposes or personal use.

-

The Cave of Sorrows link seems to be down now, tho their other games are still linked.

Two of them are rated by someone (probably them)

"An excellent old school rpg master piece!" and the Sacred Blade is described as "The Best Turn-Based RPG Ever".
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Cave of Sorrows - Live on Kickstarter