Larian Studios - Website Tease

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gematsu reports that the Larian website is brought to you by the number three.

three.gif
Thanks porcozaur!

More information.

So a real honest to goodness sequel to bg2? I think Larian can do this justice and it will be good to see them work with the d&d ruleset and monster set.

I do hope that Minsc is back in some capacity. I'm open to a different protagonist than the bhawlspawn and just curious what Larian will do full stop.

I guess it will be officially announced at E3.

This could be a good thing! I hope they make it turn-based and without the Larian "humor."

So a real honest to goodness sequel to bg2? I think Larian can do this justice and it will be good to see them work with the d&d ruleset and monster set.

I do hope that Minsc is back in some capacity. I'm open to a different protagonist than the bhawlspawn and just curious what Larian will do full stop.

Yeah, I need Minsc in there somewhere, even if just as an NPC. I played at least partway through BGII many times, and the one common denominator in all of my parties was Minsc and Boo.

A turn-based Baldur's gate would be fine...

I just hope that they don't use the same drawing style/design of DOS. I don't like DOS's style, it looks kind of childish...

Yeah, I need Minsc in there somewhere, even if just as an NPC. I played at least partway through BGII many times, and the one common denominator in all of my parties was Minsc and Boo.

Mine too. He is too amusing to leave on the sidelines. That reminds me that I need to do an Edwin run sometime.

A turn-based Baldur's gate would be fine…

I just hope that they don't use the same drawing style/design of DOS. I don't like DOS's style, it looks kind of childish…

The first DOS was aping World of Warcraft and was quite cartoonish. The second made the style more grounded and I appreciate the use of colour. It was still cartoonish to some degree I agree. I think the characters will always be exaggerated to some extent because of the isometric perspective and the need for them to stand out against the background.

I think as the graphic technology continues to improve we will see a more realistic style. Realism costs a lot more money and is a lot less easy to do in 3D than with painted backdrops so I am tolerant of this and felt DOS2 still looked good. I do prefer a more realistic style however. It's lucky that Larian made quite a penny on DOS2 and that they will be supported with a budget by, presumably, Wizards of the Coast.

I'm not big on the idea of Larian doing this. Don't get me wrong, I think they're great developers, but why have a Belgian company do the sequel to a Canadian developed D&D game? Is D&D even big over there?

Why do you seem to think D&D only exists in the Americas? Yes, we have heard of D&D once or twice before.

I'm not big on the idea of Larian doing this. Don't get me wrong, I think they're great developers, but why have a Belgian company do the sequel to a Canadian developed D&D game? Is D&D even big over there?

Uh, they are selling to an international market, not a local one.

Why do you seem to think D&D only exists in the Americas? Yes, we have heard of D&D once or twice before.

Totally agree with you. What being a Canadian has to do with anything. Besides, OwlCat Games just made the best cRPG in ages, and they are Russians.

And about the turn-based. So many hating it. I wasn't aware that there are so many RTwP fans here. You do realize that the original tabletop game is turn-based right? For the record, I like both, but TB is more true to the original game.

Uh, they are selling to an international market, not a local one.

What a strange comment. Of course they're selling to an international market. If the game was developed in the US or Canada, would they not still be selling to an international market?

Totally agree with you. What being a Canadian has to do with anything. Besides, OwlCat Games just made the best cRPG in ages, and they are Russians.

And about the turn-based. So many hating it. I wasn't aware that there are so many RTwP fans here. You do realize that the original tabletop game is turn-based right? For the record, I like both, but TB is more true to the original game.

The original game was Baldur's Gate, so no, turn-based is not more true to it. Why change it to turn-based when all 4 games in the series are RTwP? And why do you assume those wanting RTwP are "hating" turn-based?

Not sure what Olwcat making a decent game has to do with anything. You obviously took my comment as "anything not made in NA isn't as good", which is funny because that wasn't what I was implying at all, and many of my favorite games are European.

As far as who develops it, I'd rather see it done by people who are more intimately familiar with the series. Beamdog would probably have been my first choice since there are developers there who actually worked on the original trilogy.

Back
Top Bottom