Shadowrun: Hong Kong - New Matrix Preview - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Shadowrun: Hong Kong - New Matrix Preview

Default Shadowrun: Hong Kong - New Matrix Preview

August 10th, 2015, 14:19
If being full of interesting, useful, and new things to find, that you have to actually look for, means sandbox exploration, then sure.

But in the real world, it doesn't.

It's curious how many people don't understand what sandbox means. I can't have been the only one building castles and stuff in such a box as a kid?

Seems like such a basic concept.

Anyway, if hotspot clicking on a static background is fun exploration to some people, I guess that explains how these developers can make a profit from these barebones games.

DArtagnan

Mentioned: Post(s)

August 10th, 2015, 19:07
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Eh?
Let me help you.
I find Dragonfall to have more meaningful exploration that any Bethesda game.
Does this help?

Archangel

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

August 10th, 2015, 19:21
No. It would need to have some exploration to begin with.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)

August 10th, 2015, 23:17
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
If being full of interesting, useful, and new things to find, that you have to actually look for, means sandbox exploration, then sure.

But in the real world, it doesn't.

It's curious how many people don't understand what sandbox means. I can't have been the only one building castles and stuff in such a box as a kid?

Seems like such a basic concept.

Anyway, if hotspot clicking on a static background is fun exploration to some people,I guess that explains how these developers can make a profit from these barebones games.
Shadowrun games had Exploration that tied in with the story. I personally enjoyed that, but it wasn't very exciting and there wasn't a lot of exclusive content. People may rave about Bethesda's open worlds and emergent gameplay, but OTOH, you could just call it a bunch of locations dropped on a map.

Sacred_Path

August 11th, 2015, 06:25
Originally Posted by Sacred_Path View Post
Shadowrun games had Exploration that tied in with the story. I personally enjoyed that, but it wasn't very exciting and there wasn't a lot of exclusive content. People may rave about Bethesda's open worlds and emergent gameplay, but OTOH, you could just call it a bunch of locations dropped on a map.
Bunch of locations full of exploration possibilities, sure.

DArtagnan

August 11th, 2015, 12:01
Well, I've since installed Dragonfall and booted it up for my first look. Haven't created my character yet though. For what its worth, I much prefer the title screen of Shadowrun Returns - as it contains the better/harder version of that very catchy and murky electronic piece. But we'll see how it goes once I get into it fully.
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I finished SR and DF, but I didn't find either of them to be very memorable.
Personally, I disagree on SR. Since we've not really had too many games in this particular style or genre in recent times to compete against it for the memorable status, I found it very fresh and engaging. It definitely got me retreating to my Cyberpunk themed novel/film collection at any rate, which makes it memorable for me.

I certainly agree that there is ample room for improvement (as I mentioned on the choices and consequences front) but for a Kickstarter project, I think its largely successful and promising for future games. Considering I bought both titles during the last steam sales, I got my money's worth in the 15 hours I spent on SR for sure.

As for a "proper" Cyberpunk game, (whatever that means) I'm sure CD Project can deliver us a deeper and richer RPG experience, mechanic, story and choice wise, but given their budget and experience with the Witcher franchise, I don't think that would come as much of a surprise.
--
Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Shadowrun: Hong Kong - New Matrix Preview