What are you reading?

My theory about Jordan's female characters, is that most of them are based on Hariet, Bobby's wife :)

this is true, he said so on his blog. Harriet was surprised when she discovered this. his females basically fall into to types: the domineering Nynaeve type which is most of them, and the annoying domineering type like Faille and Min.

The disease Jim has been getting treated for at the Mayo clinic is almost gone. This is very good and for the rest of us who have been shlogging through the end of this series we'll have some closure finally, even if a number of plot threads will never get finished.

---

I just finished Hunters of Dune. I would highly recommend people re-read the last two sequels written by Frank Herbert himself Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune first though.

"Hunters" is based on the plot outline that Brian discovered in a safety deposit box in 1997. However, Him and Kevin J Anderson wrote a number of excellent prequels and much of the background understanding of "Hunters"uis based on these prequels.

Most people by this point would have finished the prequels and may have forgotten the last sequels.

He had to admit this? My mind cannot imagine what must Hariet have done to him to do it in public ... Though it is good to hear about his illness.

I'm reading the (supposedly) Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe, and having a blast. I decided to finally treat myself (putting it off a side for a special time) after finally enduring A Storm of Swords from the Song of Fire and Ice series.

Love in the Time of Cholera written by Gabriel García Márquez. A story about love and the proclamations of it's immortality. Written with the most deft touch of the hand.

Love in the Time of Cholera written by Gabriel García Márquez. A story about love and the proclamations of it's immortality. Written with the most deft touch of the hand.

I love Marquez ... I haven't read Cholera in at least 20 years ... read 100 Years of Solitude again last year - just a beautiful, beautiful work ...

@curious- would llike to hear those thoughts when you're ready. I've heard very little from/about Obama and am curious (well, no, you're curious, but I'm, well, you know) what he's bringing to the shindig.
I'm also cur--er,interested and would like to hear your views, curious.
I read a magazine article that he contributed(at the dr's office -forget what mag). Unlike most politicians, he seemed interested in ideas rather than idealogy, in why people want what they want, and in who his supporters actually might be. It wasn't a long article, but what I got out of it was a sense of positivity and tolerance. What's your take?

As for me, I just finished Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Read it in high school for it's doomed romantic qualities, but this time I was amazed at what a realistic, grim tale it was; of the cruelties human beings inflict on each other; of ghosts and obsessions and family life that makes "dysfunctional" sound like a compliment. A stark, uncompromising novel and not really a romance at all.

As for me, I just finished Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Read it in high school for it's doomed romantic qualities, but this time I was amazed at what a realistic, grim tale it was; of the cruelties human beings inflict on each other; of ghosts and obsessions and family life that makes "dysfunctional" sound like a compliment. A stark, uncompromising novel and not really a romance at all.

I agree, it's a great novel.

Currently : Night Watch

An very interesting book, although I must say that I'm only through the first 100 pages.

On Wuthering Heights : Kate Bush made a song of it, which has gained legendary status for being sung with an extremely high voice. ;)

- Gurps 4th Edition, basic book 1. It's an excellent read for a manual....
- Albert Einstein biography with some good explanation of relativity theory
- Being an Only Child: debunking the common myths (yes, only childs can share.....)
- A Brief Tour of Human Consciousness: From Impostor Poodles to Purple Numbers, by Vilyanur Ramachandran. This author qualifies imho as one of the best writers in the neuroscientific field and is at the same time a good and understandable read for the layman. See also: Phantoms in the Brain. Great reading!

Reading or read 3 sets of books:

Pit Dragon trilogy-This is a series about a serf who forms a quasi-telepathic bond with dragons that are raised to fight in pits. It's how he grows to hate bondage and fights for a different life with his dragon(s). Good read.

The Enchanted Forest Trilogy-This is a terrible series for an adult to read. It is basically a set of really short stories all connected with the same characters. I think it would be a wonderful start for a young girl though. Might be good bed-time reading too for youngsters.

The Bronze Canticle-I'm in the second book of this one and it's a series about 3 worlds that share a fate but can only interact with one another through dreams and metaphor. When something great happens in one world, then something terrible will happen in the others. These happenings are based on magic that is made possible during dream time and then acted upon after awakening. It's a very interesting premise, but the writing is unclear and makes for a hard-to-follow story.
I can't decide if I like this or not.

Pit Dragon Trilogy-Jane Yolen
The Enchanted Forest- Patricia C. Wrede
The Bronze Canticle-Tracy and Laura Hickman

Currently at the restroom: The book accompanying the Elemental Tarot and 'Les Diables Verts' by Jean-Yves Nasse.

I just finished Chainfire by Terry Goodkind and because of this topic I found out that he has released a new book called Phantom. So I'll be picking up that one up today.

In the middle of A Breath of Smoke and Ashes, by Diana Gabaldon, her latest and I hope not final book in The Outlander series. I don't usually care for time-travelor historical fiction, but she does it very well and is excellent at creating believable characters and resolving innumerable plot twists, as well as beinf very credible in her treatment of the 1700's.

It is the same, though I heard that they cut off some of the original plot in the book for the first movie. It is a series, Night/Day/Dusk (or Twillight, not really sure) Watch with an upcoming Final Watch as titles of the respective first to forth volume.

Yes, there are 4 I think of them.

Could you point me towards the review when it's done ? I'm interested.

You can PM me, if you want to.

Could you point me towards the review when it's done ? I'm interested.

Well, since it is a PC RPG, I'll end up posting the link ... but I still am waiting for the game so it will be a couple of weeks ;)

Okay. :)
So you know more than me. ;)

Originally Posted by magerette View Post

I agree, it's a great novel.

I just read this 6 months ago. Its pretty crazy. I do find the ending a bit far-fetched. No one quite knew what to make of the book at the time except that it was powerful, was written by a man and then later probably the same woman as Jayne Eyre. I keep an eye out for books in the public domain going on sale at Barnes & Noble. They can sell them in hardcover for nothing.

I picked the Bronte sisters and a Jayne Austen collection for cheap. Reading some of the reviews of Austen for the next 100 years it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that's read both of them that Charlotte Bronte didn't like Austen's work.

Back
Top Bottom