The NEW NWN Team Corwin Thread

I have nothing against Skype. I thought it was obvious that I dont want to use any kind of voice chat.

As long as you can hear us, the skype purpose for the group will be solved. We can read your responses to us, no problem. If you want to join this coming friday just search skype and hamachi and download. Let us know and we can give you our skype contact info. Peter can give you the connection info for Hamachi before the game. I forget now what level players we decided to bring. I know Corwin will post it here.

From memory, I think level 20 or 21. Cormac, forgive me if this offends, but why are you SO against voice chat; i'm just interested, since I use it all the time and love it. I chat with people in countries all over the world and find it enriching and fun!!

1. Skype is great because it's swedish
2. Skype is great because the swede who made it sold it for $120 million
3. Skype is great because you can call anyone around the world including cell phones for rates cheaper than a local call.
4. Skype is great because it has good sounds quailty.
5. Skype is great because you can talk 32 people at the same time.

To sum up, skype is great.

Yeah, but version 2.5 won't install on my XP64 system, I have to use version 2.0!! :(

sounds intriguing Corwin

I have a lot of NWN experience as some of you may know (you can find my name in interviews of the last 2 Bioware Wednesdays). Lets just say these last four years of my life can be summed as my NWN years or my (insert my job here) years. Yeesh..how pathetic.

And thanks to what I've learned with NWN I'm back at university getting my comp sci degree so...

...I'm not sure I could get time to play. I had to give up my server again so I could just pass this semester.

If you have any scripting, building or hosting problems/questions though I can certainly help out. I built my own HCR and then converted my server from the real HCR to it for example. Not to mention my infamous girdle of gender changing. I'd like to think I know the Aurora toolset inside and out by now. And thanks to this the ACM club at the university wants me to give a lecture on setting up a game server next semester. :p.

---

just a suggestion, Skype is popular sure but since Xfire comes installed with nwn2 everyones going to be using that. It might be a lt smoother for new users if you switched to that when you go nwn2.

Last edited:
1. Skype is great because it's swedish
2. Skype is great because the swede who made it sold it for $120 million
3. Skype is great because you can call anyone around the world including cell phones for rates cheaper than a local call.
4. Skype is great because it has good sounds quailty.
5. Skype is great because you can talk 32 people at the same time.

To sum up, skype is great.

So... Kazaa is practically the second most awesome program in the world just because Niklas Zennström wrote that too?

I honestly never understood the hype about Skype. Programs like Ventrilo and TeamSpeak has done the same thing for years before Skype - except the ability to call real phones, which I don't have much use for.

I'm afraid I'd have to stay up until breakfast time on Saturday mornings to be able to join your NWN campaigning, otherwise I might have taken you up on your offer.

When you guys move on to NWN II, I'll play. I think the voice thing sounds like great fun!

Me and a friend started calling each other when we'd adventure in WoW, and it really was nice to be able to focus on the battle instead of trying to communicate with her via keyboard. I was a little wary at first, but before long we were having a great old time, and it was very difficult and undesirable to go back to just keyboard.

But everyone has their hang-ups and preferences, some prefer total ambiguity when dealing with anything online, and that's understandable.

Last edited:
OK, what's Xfire? I don't remember installing it with NWN2!! Tried Teamspeak, but Skype was easier to set up and a lot better quality!!

Oh, Sammy, we'd love to have you!!

Tried Teamspeak, but Skype was easier to set up and a lot better quality!!

You mean sound quality? That depends completely on the server settings.

As for Xfire, IIRC it's a game server finder, with additional features like buddy system, text chat, voice chat and the like.

Out of curiosity, what's the difficulty about hosting NWN2 behind a router? I'd just expect that you have to map the appropriate port to the appropriate machine. Are there some other complications?

I was assuming it was just Hyperbole

the ports that nwn2 uses are the same as nwn1 as far as I can tell.

http:\\www.portforward.com

you can get visual step by step instructions for your brand and model of router here. you'll want to get the info for nwn1/nwn2 and gamespy as they are listed seperately.

the only problem I've found is your standard home router only allows 16 port ranges and between gamespy and nwn it can take about 5 or 6 of those without making yoru system really vuldenrable.

---

Corwin, you likely told nwn2 not to instal it when you were prompted..heh. It comes up in a lot of optimization threads but most sites that have reviewed it have found no significant difference with it running.

PJ, I'm a technical illiterate!! I wouldn't have a clue how to map ports!! I've looked at 'portforward' and Egyptian hieroglyphics are easier for me to understand; the 'language' is over my head!!

My router is not listed in the portforward program. I have a Sparklan W-6215G router. I didn't see anything about port forwarding inside the router. NWN2 didn't work either when I tried to host it to Gamespy. I can see my server in the Gamespy list, but when I try to connect to it I only get a time-out message. The router is from about 2000 so maybe it lacks certain vital functions. But it works great for using my wireless laptop and my regular computer at the same time on internet.

I can always try to host games without the router. It worked well before when I regularly hosted NWN1 modules. I simply don't understand why the router would block connection to my server when the server is shown in Gamespy. Any suggestions? Please tell when what kind of data you need from my computer and router to make an analysis.

PS I have a firewall from VCOM. I have opened the necessary ports here. I have even shutdown the firewall, but to no avail. I turned off Microsoft's Firewall introduced with XP SP2. But could it be that this firewall is partly turned on without me knowing about it?

Ok guys, I downloaded all the files and I can not get the mod to show as being installed for sp. I even went back and tried a previous mod. I don't see the actual mod itself downloading in any of those files. Just movies and haks.

I haven't even looked at it yet!! I'd better do so immediately!! That's if I can remember which mod it's supposed to be!!!!

Edith says: I installed the mods, and the 4 Haks and it works perfectly. I was able to import my level 27 Dragon character (minus the special dragonman ability :( ). Check you downloaded the correct mods, everything should be there. I had to get the painting pack hak, as it's necessary.

Last edited:
I have downloaded them three times. I still don't have the actual mod. This is getting me mad. I even risked turning off my virus and firewall to dl them.

The third file is the ZIP file with the mod. The Haks are below that.

I got it sorted. Tell you in game tonight.

Back
Top Bottom