Skyrim Just FYI - Steam patch on Skyrim today

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
My performance is pretty good as it stands. Few to none CTDs recently. I do get these very brief glowing white spike artifacts when I equip and unequip or look straight up quickly, but other than that, my only issue is slightly marginal framerates briefly after area load. Loading times very reasonable. Faster than DE:HR and NWN 2, DMoMM, the Witcher, etc... I am pretty happy with it overall.

If this fix were to promise a 10 FPS increase or more I would try, and cross my fingers.

Well it didn't do shit for me so you needn't to bother :)

The only thing that annoys me about Steam these days is that I have it set to "Do not automatically update this game" so what it does instead is delete the EXE so i cannot run the game at all and now have to change that setting back to download the patch. WTF? Why even give us the illusion of choice?

I dont trust them enough to think that the latest version is better than the previous. The previous update had far more stutters than the one before it. Anyway I like that this patch includes the 4GB switch by default now just wish that the few knobs I do have to tweak were actually honored.

The only way I have found to RELIABLY prevent Steam from updating Skyrim is to run Steam in offline mode. That also has the "benefit" of not downloading any other Steam games or updates. :p BTW, I think it is a good idea to backup your Skyrim folder if you must run Steam in on-line mode. That way you can manually revert if they push a crappy patch (like 1.2).

Thats a good idea (backup files) that I keep forgetting to do. I have been using this patch since it came out and got rid of the 4G mod. So far its been working great. I have had 2 very random seeming crashes but beyond that its been very smooth. I do notice that if I play longer then 2 hours things slow down but I think that might be a memory leak or something. If I restart the computer it speeds up again. Don't think its my card as I montior the temp. and that hasn't been to bad.

Hey guys, i have a couple questions regarding Skyrim and Steam. I just got the game for Christmas. How do i play the game off line? I don't want to be logged into Steam everytime i play. Also, how do i know if i have the latest patch? Does it update automatically? After the game installed, i expected the game to download the latest updates, but, i didn't see anything. Thanks for the help.

1- on the Steam opening screen go to top left "Steam" drop menu and pick "Go offline".
2- easy way: check game version. If it is 1.3.1 it's ok :)
LONG WAY: on Steam opening screen go to "Library" and right click on "Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" (top left again). Go to "Properties" and than "Updates". Click on "View Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim update history" and (finally) "Product Updates: from the right side "Channels" panel.

Thanks for the help. It looks like the game has not updated to the latest version. Is there a way to manually update it? I don't see a link anywhere to update it. Thanks again.

In "Library" right click "Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" and choose "Properties" than "Local Files" and than click on "Verify Integrity of Game Cache".

Back
Top Bottom