Skyrim Is the game too easy?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
After I've put in 30 hours (forget 70 hours) I don't really want to struggle too much with combat.

I think leveling up and improving your character (with perks and gear) along with simply learning how the game world works (which theoretically will allow you to play 'smarter') should yield the 'reward' that most enemies can't stand up to you. Don't mind an occasional tough combat situation once in a while.

After 30 hours and having 'paid my dues' I'm more interested in experiencing non-combat aspects of gameplay.

The fact that you can pretty much beat anyone in bar brawls with no perks/enchantments for it on "adept" difficulty shows the game wasn't really balanced for it. If you take away followers, crafting skills and selling generic gear it should remain a fairly challenging experience for warriors or mages into the high levels in spite of the level-scaling in master. Pure sneaks are more likely to be screwed by the scaling.

After 30 hours and having 'paid my dues' I'm more interested in experiencing non-combat aspects of gameplay.

Talking quests are few and far between and usually far too simplistic.

Too hard if you're ever forced into an open combat situation, no armor skills to mitigate damage and even any weapon skill you've been using to stealth kill will be at a low level compared to your character level since you mostly increase sneak with each stealth kill. Wouldn't be as much of a problem if the stealth and pickpocket skills didn't raise so fast(and increasing just a couple of high level skills levels you a lot faster than increasing many lower level ones) thereby raising your character level really fast to a point where the average draugr you run into would make short work of a regular dragon while you'd still struggle with a pack of wolves.

Speaking as someone that lives by sneaking and archery, and the rare shouts/healing magic, while playing on master, I have very few problems with any mobs in the game. I do tend to play totally stealthed, because any ranged mob will downrite pwn you if they get the drop on you, so if you go sneak be prepared to live that way. My light armour skill is in the 70's so I do have a few of those perks, but once you get the archery lines combat is simply a joke.

Still haven't used a single companion as of yet. However, I am considering a torrid affair with my sanguine rose -). That item does a superb job of sniffing out aggro mobs in an area.

-Carn

I disagree. I am playing a sneaky archer and so far I never had problems. Of course I never rush into battle, but take my time and observe everything around. If I can make sneak atk at first then most likely the mob will die before he reaches me. But even if I don't, the archery tree has perk that make battles easy (like the one that slows time) and at some point I can just spam arrows like a madman.

Melee sneaks though would probably have hard times, especially on dragons.

Too hard if you're ever forced into an open combat situation, no armor skills to mitigate damage and even any weapon skill you've been using to stealth kill will be at a low level compared to your character level since you mostly increase sneak with each stealth kill.
Very true. I started as a sneaky archer, but have migrated more towards a backstabber with daggers. It's so much more exciting. :p Note that the exception is dragons. I never go toe to toe with dragon melee attacks. It usually results in my char getting 1-2 hit killed. Archery only in this case.

My character can be toast if detected, even by a single non-dragon boss enemy in melee. So I use illusion to manage mobs and winnow them down to one, and illusion as emergency escapes. But illusion doesn't work against automatons, vampires, and undead until a skill level 90 perk. Having a companion as a distraction is BIG help. Many times with high enough sneak you can get out of view and re-enter stealth while your enemy is distracted by your companion. Then you can try another backstab.

Note that this approach has me using both archery and one-handed rather equally. I use a bow against deadly animals such as ice trolls and snow bears when I can't backstab them. At level 35, neither are maxed (both are around 65), while my stealth IS maxed. And my illusion skill is pretty high, around 80. Since I try to avoid getting hit, light armor is still around 50. I've had to spread my perks around to keep archery and one-handed viable (but not overly lopsided). On the other hand, my illusion perks are maxed since higher level-scaled monster become immune without the perks. I've also taken most of the sneak perks, especially the sneak attack bonus ones for bows and daggers.

Variety keeps me interested in what would otherwise get too repetitive.

Last edited:
Ok, Adept is definitely NOT too easy. An Arch Conjurer and Master Necromancer at the same time = God help me. I chugged about half my stash of potions just trying to take them out. Damn mages are quick on their feet and I'm a lumbering warrior who can't catch up with them. But yeah, there is definitely still challenge. Fighting 2 Draugr Deathlords at the same time could cause problems too. Loving the challenge that the game hits you with now and then.

I just finished a dungeon full of Druagr Deathlords. Poor Lydia was being bounced around like a pinball by their voice :) Still the voice doesn't do that much damage and I'm slowly baking them while they yell at Lydia. There brains must be rotted. Pay attention to the guy killing you, not the girl whacking at you with her mace. It is now taking 5 or 6 double firebolts to kill some creatures. If I move up to fireball, Lydia takes damage too. Incinerate is still too expensive, because I don't have the perk to lower the cost yet. I need 5 more points in destruction before I can lower the cost to "only" 90 magicka. I think I'll brew up some fortify destruction potions and take 20 with me to each dungeon from now till I get the perk. If I can boost firebolt from doing 37 to 55 per cast, that should suffice. My fortify spells add 47% damage for 60 seconds, iirc. I might have to check into boosting alchemy a point if I can…..

I probably should disable and re-enable Lydia too. There is a bug where she doesn't level with you, and I sometimes forget to fix her up.

Consider some training in Destruction to get those 5 points quicker, shouldn't cost more than 20K or so.

I dumped my follower it's to easy to kill them with big fireballs, I now just use summons which do the job nicely, and it matters little if they get blown up!

Daniel.

Yeah, I could do that, but I like trying to level naturally after 50. The alchemy path should be my key until I hit it naturally. I need to stop using a good bow. I should just get a simple longbow and use it to poison foes with weakness to fire. My Ebony Bow of Fire is fun to use, but it doesn't level up destruction and outright kills all easy foes.

I don't use alchemy gear, except for what I find in exploration. Still, I have two items that give 20% each to alchemy, so I make some pretty nice potions. I think I've got the 60% stronger perk in alchemy, so I'm twice as strong as a base potion.

I've gone cold turkey on archery, I found attacking with bows from stealth was just to easy, killing many enemies in one go… Running in flinging fireballs all over the place is far more satisfying! :biggrin:

I've got a mod which lifts the 100 cap on skills to, so I'll be be able to keep playing/leveling almost indefinitely. (well to 300 for each skill at least) so I try to train every level when I can afford it.

Daniel.

Yep, I reserve the bow for dragons and softening up the most deadly of foes that are tough to backstab.

Otherwise, I sneak in backstabs with daggers, or for easy foes, dual-wield ebony waraxe/mace. Stopped using a shield since it was spreading out skill increases too far.

Back
Top Bottom