Skyrim Skyrim Ships 10 millionth retail copy,also "fastest-selling title in Steam's history"

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch
Skyrim Ships 10 millionth retail copy,also "fastest-selling title in Steam's history"

Bethesda announced in a press release that worldwide shipments of Skyrim have passed 10 million retail copies (excluding digital downloads).

In addition, although the Steam/digital sales numbers are not published, according to Jason Holtman, Director of Business Development at Valve:

“Skyrim is the fastest selling title in Steam's history”

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/...ped-becomes-fastest-selling-steam-title-ever/

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/12/15/skyim-ships-10-million-worldwide.aspx

Do you think this means we might see some "skyrim clones" next year?

What's even more impressive is that Skyrim was overall the 2nd highest selling video game in the world over the last month. It's rare to see an RPG even in the top 5.

I know Bethesda maybe aren't the paragons of all RPG virtues either, but still - take that, "button -awesome, connected now in Dragon Age II"-Bioware!

Last edited:
What's even more impressive is that Skyrim was overall the 2nd highest selling video game in the world over the last month. It's rare to see an RPG even in the top 5.

The vast majority of the top 50 best selling games of all time are Nintendo titles, but Skyrim seems poised to take up a spot there: http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php

I know Bethesda maybe aren't the paragons of all RPG virtues either, but still - take that, "button -awesome, connected now in Dragon Age II"-Bioware.

Bravo good sir.:clap: Unfortunately Bioware wont give a damn.

Not about my comment, but they do care about the moohlah. The message already hit home, I'm pretty sure :biggrin:

They might but they already stated they wont make open world rpgs like Bethesda. There becoming a brand image now so I'm sure EA could slap there image on another developers game.;)

Must be to hard for them with all there great talent right?:biggrin:

They might but they already stated they wont make open world rpgs like Bethesda. There becoming a brand image now so I'm sure EA could slap there image on another developers game.;)

...coming soon from Bioware Boston, formerly known as Big Huge Games

Amalur Effect 2

Last edited:
Great news.

Now, Bethesda, use that success to challenge the mainstream market rather than cater to them. They don't know what's good for them, but we do ;)

This is great news.

Unbelievable considering their utter incompetence regarding distribution in some regions. I wanted to buy Skyrim fair and square, after "demoing" it a bit. Turns out, that Skyrim is still blocked in my region on Steam more than a month after release, probably because some douchebags snatched an exclusive deal for eastern european retail release from Bethesda. Now it gets really interesting however. Turns out, that these douchebags have massive delivery difficulties, at least in my country, and the only people, who have gotten Skyrim legally here are the ones that preordered. I can't import the game either, because i don't speak any other eastern european languages and i'm not sure weather an european release is blocked on Steam by these eggheads or something. Yeah, nice job getting rid of these pesky Eastern European pirates, guys! To be honest i have no desire to play the game anymore after being treated like that. I'll still probably buy the goty edition when it's released, but right now nothing draws me to this game.

That was some interesting justification, pirate boy. I think I scraped some of your ilk off my shoe this morning, after walking through a field. You should post your thoughts at piratebay.moron instead of here.

Great news! Hopefully this encourages companies to release deep, expansive RPG experiences that are labors of love, instead of just trying to cash in on a quick buck. Bethesda has rekindled my hope in the video game industry with Skyrim.

I also hope another company steps forward and tries to make a first-person RPG. Bethesda currently holds the market share on these type of games, but I'm certain there's room for another IP in the same style as TES games. How cool would it be to have another option of a giant, open-world, first-person RPG out there, that is different than a Bethesda project. If I ever got the chance to design a game, that would be my goal. I think it could sell well.

Forget Bioware. They'll end up making movies or a game where you only have to hit the spacebar to win. Axeman13's worst nightmare (that video still cracks me up to this day beeaaacuuuaaassseee the voice was pretty good, BUT THAT'S IT!!) :D

I'm interested in seeing if EA will pump more money into openworld RPGs. Kingdoms of Amular is getting the royal marketing treatment. From what I can tell that one seems very openworld. Not sure if it will be any good, but I'm skeptically hopeful it will be.

Maybe we'll see more openworld rpgs in the future from the big boys. I would believe now that it's proven that a singleplayer rpg can be a huge success that might make some of the big shot executives a little more interested in funding these kinds of games. Who knows though? I thought the same thing about Bioware after Dragon Age: Origins was released and look at what they released for a sequel to Dragon Age.

@crpgnut Stop the vulgar imagery mixed in with personal attacks, please.

That was some interesting justification, pirate boy. I think I scraped some of your ilk off my shoe this morning, after walking through a field. You should post your thoughts at piratebay.moron instead of here.

Shut your flytrap. All i was saying is that people from my country (and probably others in the region) STILL can't buy the damn game from Steam and retail (basically the only dedicated games shop that we have in here) STILL does not offer it a month after release. I'm not justifying anything. If you think, that this situation is not fucked up then carry on with your fieldwalking activities good sir, thinking that Bethesda is a good publisher and that region locking on steam is a nice way to stop piracy.

At least this bodes very, very well for Skyrim DLC and the Fallout 4 production budget.

DLC ! How much more of my life does this game want ?!!
Oh wait, Nothing on the Radar till April (Risen 2). Bring it on then :)

Oh and can Obsidian drop the cartoons and make Fallout 4 (obviously bugs do not
seriously hamper my enjoyment of a game ;) ) ? Kthnx.

/offtopic

I know Bethesda maybe aren't the paragons of all RPG virtues either, but still - take that, "button -awesome, connected now in Dragon Age II"-Bioware!

Totally agree. Bioware RPGs.. ermm.. I mean EA RPGs..isn't even on my radar anymore.

Back
Top Bottom