THE OUTER WORLDS Reveal Trailer

Drithius

Magic & Loss
  • One part Arcanum
  • One part Wildstar
  • One part New Vegas

+Iggy Pop…. ;)

Also, Steam has a page up with some more information and screenshots:

The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation on a colonist ship that was lost in transit to Halcyon, the furthest colony from Earth located at the edge of the galaxy, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy it. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Key Features
  • The player-driven story RPG: In keeping with the Obsidian tradition, how you approach The Outer Worlds is up to you. Your choices affect not only the way the story develops; but your character build, companion stories, and end game scenarios.
  • You can be flawed, in a good way: New to The Outer Worlds is the idea of flaws. A compelling hero is made by the flaws they carry with them. While playing The Outer Worlds, the game tracks your experience to find what you aren't particularly good at. Keep getting attacked by Raptidons? Taking the Raptiphobia flaw gives you a debuff when confronting the vicious creatures, but rewards you with an additional character perk immediately. This optional approach to the game helps you build the character you want while exploring Halcyon.
  • Lead your companions: During your journey through the furthest colony, you will meet a host of characters who will want to join your crew. Armed with unique abilities, these companions all have their own missions, motivations, and ideals. It's up to you to help them achieve their goals, or turn them to your own ends.
  • Explore the corporate colony: Halcyon is a colony at the edge of the galaxy owned and operated by a corporate board. They control everything... except for the alien monsters left behind when the terraforming of the colony’s two planets didn’t exactly go according to plan. Find your ship, build your crew, and explore the settlements, space stations, and other intriguing locations throughout Halcyon.

Last edited:
Color me interested. Early comments are describing it as "Fallout in space" which doesn't sound like a bad thing at all.

My only concern based on the trailer is the amount of humor. I don't mind a few laughs here and there, but I hope they don't overdo it.

Kind of disappointed, a bit. Was hoping/expecting something more like first Mass Effect.
Looks literally like trailer for Borderlands ( spin off), in tone, setting, music and art. At least from the brief glimpse here.
Though it's good they took a jab at Bethesda. :p

Certainly looks like it has potential to me. Thumbs up.

There are some screenshots around of "proper" dialog choices, so if it's like Borderlands (which I quite liked - at least in co-op), but with more "RPG-ness", then I'm in.

It's an RPG, it's single-player. So for me the two most imoprtant things are settled. And it's not something weird like a Southpark setting.

I'm not impressed by the visuals but they get the job done I think.
I feel a Technomancer/Mars:WarLogs vibe btw.

And (perhaps) 2019 already! Yay!

Here's the trailer in higher resolution:

I like what they've shown of the setting so far, and I'm glad it's not just vanilla sci-fi.

I agree the visuals aren't overly impressive, but I think the art style will end up being what's important. It certainly doesn't look like it's pushing the boundaries of the Unreal 4 engine.

I hope it makes it out in 2019. I'm guessing it will because Obsidian won't want to compete with Starfield. Not sure how long it's been in development, but they trademarked the name back in February. No telling how long they were working on it prior to that.

Unreal 4?
That one doesn't support hairworks so I'm unsure what impressiveness is expected. Maybe people wanted FO:NV2 on Gamebryo instead? :D

People should probably keep in mind that this is a AA game. Private Division fund and publish games that fall between the small indie ones and the big AAA games.

GameInformer has a gameplay video (with annoying voice over). It's the gameplay shown in the PCGamer impression video, but with sound (covered by the annoying voice over in some cases).

Very interested in this. Loved the trailer and music and overall visual look a lot. The description also sounds very cool.

That sounds good :) A Sci-Fi Western RPG on a wasted planet sounds just right.

It sounds like this IS the Tim Cain game and not the one folks have been speculating upon...
-
also this is cut and paste from the pc gamer link above; some pluses some negatives (for myself):
-----------------------------

Here are some other things I learned about The Outer Worlds:

It's out in 2019
It's an Unreal Engine 4 game
Your protagonist isn't voiced
There's a special class of "science weapons" that will have special, ridiculous effects, like a shrink ray
There's a full character creator even though it's first-person only (you'll see your character in the inventory, and if you leave the game idling long)
Your companions don't have separate inventories. Taking companions with you just gives you more inventory space to work with yourself
If companions really dislike the decisions you make, they'll leave and go back to the ship. You can persuade them to see things your way
No romancing companions. They considered it, but decided against it.
Companions each have a special attack (one named Felix does a double drop kick) but you can also equip them with whatever weapons you want
Hacking and lockpicking don't have minigames, and are simply based on your attributes
There are six skills (strength, intelligence etc.) and for every 20 points you put into one (up until 100) you'll gain a new perk
As in the creators' past games, you can play as a "dumb" character with stupid dialogue options. Your companions react appropriately.
They're still not sure if it will be possible to play through the game completely pacifist (but you'll almost definitely have to at least kill some robots)
Robots aren't sentient, but your ship's AI seems to have a strange degree of personality
Tim Cain wants you to know there are a lot of drugs, but he's not going to pressure you to take them

Last edited:
That's new. I wonder why noone used it so far.

Back
Top Bottom