Arcania - Review Flood #2

The Now Gamer guy says he has been gaming for 20 years and lists his age as 26 . . .

Now we all know Arcania isn't "all that" but to just make a blind statement that Arcania blind adherence to bla bla bla while not making any reference to it prior history just smacks of ignorance to me.

and this does not count as a real reference
Gothic 4 doesn’t really buck this trend, but it at least has made a few changes that make this the best the series has ever been

Oh and btw, here are some of those "infinitely better games"(per him) this guy was talking about:
Saw: the Video Game
Ghostbusters: the Video Game
Fairy Tale Fights

Perhaps the poster directly above me who starts ' As for the game's looks, based on a demo'?
So? I did state it was an opinion based on demo. And it´s quite fair to assume those two visual aspects I´ve found negative won´t really change throughout the course of the full game. Moreover, I don´t think visuals are exactly the area where to form an informed opinion playing the game is absolutely crucial anyway. Just by watching few HD videos one can get a pretty good picture about the game´s looks, at least in general. Also, forming an opinion on a full game based on a demo isn´t all that invalid, after all, pretty much the sole purpose of demos is to help a customer to decide whether to buy the product or not. However, since I´m quite well aware of potential shortcomings of such extrapolations, you won´t catch me claiming that, for example, the game´s overall story sucks without me having played the full game.
Feel free to disagree with my opinion on those visual aspects I mentioned, of course, but I have to strongly disagree with the notion that in this particular case my opinion is somewhat less legitimate just because I based it only on my experience with the demo.

I've been a gamer for 20 years and I'm 26. Why is that strange?

Children at the age of 6 shouln't be supposed to sit either before the PC or the TV - not for long, this at least. Imho.

I got my Nintendo when I was 5 and my first PC when I was 7. I started playing rpgs when I was 6 with Final Fantasy and PC rpgs when I was 7.

yeah, yeah, a lot of the current console generation has literally been gaming since an early age . . . But when I read that this guy states that the Gothic Franchise is rubbish and Arcania is the best of the lot, I really have to question just what he got out of his 20 years experience.

Jowood dissapoints many of the old Gothic fans by cutting some key elements of the Gothic series, at the same time they partially fail to reach the so called casual gamers.

IMHO Jowoods marketing division should have eliminated all Gothic references in Arcania, so they could sell it as an easy action adventure game. They would be compared to Fable, Venetica or Dungeon Siege and not with the Gothic series or Oblivion.

Now the game is neither fish nor fowl for many reviewers - I have pity with them.

These scores are actually as wide spread (perhaps even more so!) than those of Alpha Protocol. That's impressive.

World of Warcraft currently has 12 million paying subscribers. In terms of economy it's the biggest game of all time, yet somehow NowGamer managed to dig up someone who doesn't even understand the basic *concept* of the rules applied in said super sized game (magic, swords, stats, etc). Not understanding a niche game? Sure. Not understanding the biggest title that has ever existed and still work as an RPG reviewer? I'm sorry, but that must be a joke. There are 10 year olds playing WoW who understand the fun of swords, magic and stats.

Last edited:
He seems to review *only* xbox titles ?

Maybe he expresses only what the "typical" xbox gamer might think [about this game] ?

Are the xbox graphics of Arcania really horrible ? ooooo
Do xbox players prefer such a playing style as the reviewer implies ?

Are the xbox graphics of Arcania really horrible ? ooooo
Do xbox players prefer such a playing style as the reviewer implies ?

At least the demo felt a bit clunky and sluggish compared to the pc version. I wouldn't say it looked horrible, but the pc version looks better of course.

Some do and some don't, just the same as pc players. Many probably like all kinds of different playstyles. Console players probably are a bit more mainstream than pc players as a whole, but at least they aren't playing Farmville etc. on their consoles - talk about casual. :p Then there's people who play on both, depending on the game, like me.

Last edited:
Just noticing my line of ooooo's there ... don't remember having typed them ...

Not sure if it's already mentioned but Gamespot review is not glowing. They award it 5.0 which is considered mediocre.

Well at least they're honest. :)

"Arcania has been dumbed down into a generic action role-playing game, so it isn't a Gothic game in anything but its subtitle."

wow. That's a really bad score from one of more reliable (but not always on mark) review sites.

I'm not sure if I would call Gamespot "reliable", they're usually far too generous imo. I always take their review scores with a grain of salt.

For game to get 5/10 from them, it has to be pretty bad.

I stopped reading them after the scandal a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom