The TV Series discussion thread

I watched the first episode of Disenchanted, and there were a few jokes that made me laugh. Not enough for the run time, but it's early days. I think it might have potential, and we'll see if it finds its legs.

I watched the first episode of Disenchanted, and there were a few jokes that made me laugh. Not enough for the run time, but it's early days. I think it might have potential, and we'll see if it finds its legs.
The last episode (of part 1) was already much more interesting. It doesn't need to be laugh out loud though. God I hate those cheap parody movies), but should be amusing with good references. I loved Futurama for all the advanced science refs (on robot gender, AI, etc.)

Finished the new Jack Ryan on Amazon. I would call it "comfort thriller" bit like Liam Neeson movies. Likeable main character with some good supporting cast with predictable plot about very horrible things yet you come out with warm fuzzy feeling at the end of it!

Its an excellent show for watching it with your better half while cuddling in bed!

Still watching Castle Rock. On Episode 8 so I'm currently all caught up. It really boils down Steven King to his essence into a thick, black tar that really sticks to you. Episode 7, told from the perspective of Sissy Spacek's character suffering from acute dementia (suspected of being Alzheimer’s' which can only be diagnosed post-mortem when the brain is dissected) was quite unique with its subjective "time traveling" element. Bill Skarsgård's performance, in combination with his eerie boy's head and disturbing black eye contacts trapped on top of the body of a tall, lumbering, lanky, spindly-limbed swede, really impresses with its creepiness.

Not sure if this is already mentioned somewhere.
Seems Henry Cavill will be playing geralt

Last edited:
I tried my best to muscle through Star Trek Discovery - because I heard some good stuff about the upcoming second season, but I just couldn't. I tried HARD - but, boy, is it ever terrible.

The worst Trek show by far. Even worse than the recent movies.

I managed around 5 episodes, I think - and just had to give it up entirely.

Such a shame as first 5 episodes suck and then the show goes into "uncharted territory" and becomes the banned episode of Osomatsu San.
Then again, it's possible you'd hate that change too.

Watched Iron Fist season 2.

Went in with very low expectations based on several reviews. I was pleasantly surprised, however.

It's probably my favorite of the Netflix Marvel shows, so far. It was full of very compelling characters - and lots of interesting drama.

The Walker character was fantastic, I found. In fact, most of the female characters and actors did particularly well - though I find Colleen to be sort of boring overall.

The main villain was underwhelming, but that's mostly down to the writing. The actor did a good job portraying a fanatic. I think they messed up with the presentation of the backstory, though. Lots of potential for moving drama - but they hamfisted it a bit with that one-sided mothering thing.

The plot was boring, I concede as much - but the drama was great.

I'm a huge fan of the Ward siblings - and both actors are fantastic. Particularly the woman playing Joy in this one.

Really, really well done for the most part - though the last 2-3 episodes fell a little flat.

7.5/10

That sounds like a big improvement over season 1. Did the Danny Rand character get any better?

That sounds like a big improvement over season 1. Did the Danny Rand character get any better?

Not much, I found. I kinda like him, but he's still pretty much a confused and very naive dude - repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

For me, it was the following 3 characters that added the most:

Mary Walker
Joy Meachum
Ward Meachum

They stole every scene they were in. Oh, and the woman playing Ward's sponsor also managed to be a noteworthy addition, even if her role was quite small.

It should be noted that I'm almost always more about the human drama/interaction than the superhero stuff.

I did seem to detect a noticable upgrade in terms of the martial arts scenes - which I guess is a good thing if you're into that.

Nearly finished Black Lightning (1 episode to go). Reviews have been harsh over it's supposed SJW ridiculousness, and I am NO fan of SJW bullshit, but it was actually pretty good! Story is mediocre but dialogue is very real... relationships seem very natural and realistic. Now, I'm not black myself, so I'm looking at the show from a white perspective, but I really enjoyed it.

I'm curious, how would you guys rate the Netflix Marvel shows?

I think, for me, it would be:

1. ACS1
2. ACS2
3. IFS2
4. TPS1
5. DDS1
6. LCS2
7. DDS2
8. JJS1
9. IFS1
10. LCS1
11. JJS2
12. DFS1

Had to look up what AC stands for, as I forgot about Agent Carter. But, those are definitely ranking high. I haven’t seen all of the shows yet though. I have a huge backlog with tv series as well as with gaming :)

So for me it is:
1. ACS1
2. ACS2
3. JJS1
4. DDS1
5. LCS1
6. DDS2
7. IFS1

The rest I still have to see. In general Daredevil irritated me in Season 2 and showed some signs of that in season 1 as well (looking back at it). But Danny Rand was far more annoying.
I think the main difference with your list is that I liked Jessica Jones more :)

Had to look up what AC stands for, as I forgot about Agent Carter. But, those are definitely ranking high. I haven’t seen all of the shows yet though. I have a huge backlog with tv series as well as with gaming :)

So for me it is:
1. ACS1
2. ACS2
3. JJS1
4. DDS1
5. LCS1
6. DDS2
7. IFS1

The rest I still have to see. In general Daredevil irritated me in Season 2 and showed some signs of that in season 1 as well (looking back at it). But Danny Rand was far more annoying.
I think the main difference with your list is that I liked Jessica Jones more :)

Hehe, yeah, I'm not a big fan of the JJ character. It's not a bad show or anything - but it doesn't really do that much for me.

Rand is bland ;)

Agent Carter is not Netflix' original.

For me, the best one so far has been Agent Carter. Great casting, good, coherent stories that don't meander too much, and quite easy to watch. I think the other Marvel shows were too scared of it for the show to survive.

I didn't watch it because it looked like it had few fantasy elements, was I wrong?

Back
Top Bottom