RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Default Couchpotato's Random RPG News

September 23rd, 2018, 06:05
Stellar Tactics Rolls Out Open World Universe Update

loading…

Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Developer Q&A Part 3

loading…

Jagex fires RuneScape moderator for stealing player gold
The studio revealed a member of the Old School RuneScape team, which runs a self-contained version of the popular MMO game based on the original 2007 source code, had been moving wealth and items across accounts.
'Roguelikes': Getting to the heart of the it-genre
Over the last year, the roguelike has become the it-genre, particularly for independent developers. While debate remains over what constitutes a roguelike or whether the term should even be used, there's no argument around the fact that both developers and players have come to love these games for their endless, procedural challenges.

This year's best student game in the Independent Games Festival was Risk of Rain; Klei Entertainment sold over a million copies of Don't Starve last year. These are just two obvious success stories that owe a lot to the appeal of roguelike mechanics.
Monster Hunter: World grabs top prize at Japan Game Awards 2018
Japan’s Consumer Entertainment Supplier’s Association has shared the winners of its 2018 Japan Game Awards, held this year at the Tokyo Game Show to recognize exemplary games released between April 1, 2017 and March 31, 2018.

This time around, Capcom’s Monster Hunter: World walked away with the show’s grand award while sixteen total games were honored during the event.
Dragon Quest's creator hopes to bring more of the series to PC
Dragon Quest 11 releasing on PC was a major milestone for Japanese PC gaming, and a moment of symmetry: creator Yuji Horii was first inspired by computer games like Ultima and Wizardry, and now his series finally shares a platform with them, all these years later. It's the first, though he hopes it won't be the last. "If Dragon Quest 11 does sell on the PC, hopefully we can bring some of the older games in the series and port them to the PC," Horii said when we spoke in a recent interview.
First The Bard’s Tale IV patch released
inXile Entertainment has released the first patch for The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep. According to the release notes, this patch fixes some crashes and addresses the loading times and framerate drop issues that have been reported by its fans.

Furthermore, this patch adds a FOV slider to the options menu, adds the ability to delete each save independently, raises FPS cap on smoothing to 260, updates materials on some puzzle weapons handles not displaying properly on high, medium, low quality settings and more.
--
"Proud to Be a Small Minded Poorly Educated Republican. Trump 2020."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.
Last edited by Couchpotato; September 23rd, 2018 at 07:32.

Couchpotato

Basement Dweller

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2018, 06:46
Nice! Need to get back to Stellar Tactics! Thanks, Couch.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2018, 08:54
Beamdog September 21st Livestream Recap
During today’s livestream Beamdog CEO Trent Oster and Producer Luke Rideout shared the latest news on Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition, the Infinity Engine Enhanced Editions, and the upcoming Edmonton Expo. They called Bernhard Stöckner (@niv), the Technical Director on the NWN:EE core team to talk about the game’s future development.
Battle Brothers Developer Blog #105 - Additions & Changes
The update accompanying the upcoming ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC will bring with it a host of minor additions and improvements. Each of these may not be big enough to warrant a blog post of its own, but together they make for a nice bouquet of things to look at. Let’s do so this week!
Vampyr New Difficulty Modes Update on September 26th
Tuesday’s update includes two new game difficulty modes which add further replayability for existing players, and more options for those who haven’t yet sunk their teeth into this dark adventure through 1918 London.

Story Mode de-emphasizes combat, placing a greater focus on narrative so players can enjoy Dr. Jonathan Reid’s journey with less challenging gameplay. On the other end of the scale, Hard Mode makes combat much more difficult. Players will receive less experience from killing enemies too, forcing them to rely even more on embracing citizens to grow in power. Upon starting a new game, players will be given the option to choose from these two new modes or a third ‘Normal Mode’ if they wish to play the original Vampyr experience.

In addition to the new difficulty modes, the upcoming update introduces a host of optimization tweaks and fixes. Nvidia Ansel will also be made available for PC, which allows players to capture beautiful in-game screenshots, viewing and sharing them in 3D on mobile phone, PC or VR Headset.
--

Couchpotato

Basement Dweller

September 24th, 2018, 11:08
Sunless Skies with Failbetter Games from EGX 2018

loading…
Paul Arendt, Failbetter's CEO and Art Director, will share a behind the scenes look at how Sunless Skies has evolved from Sunless Sea, including an advance peek at updates coming in October. Plus at least one surprise, and not the cannibal kind. This is a must-see for Failbetter fans.
Disco Elysium EGX 2018 Panel.

loading…
ZAUM Studio's Aleksander Rostov (Art Director) and Robert Kurvitz (Lead Designer & Writer) are joined by Alex Wiltshire (Acclaimed Video Games Journalist) to discuss the development of Disco Elysium, a groundbreaking blend of hardboiled cop show and isometric RPG.
Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Update #82
Hello everyone!

We’re approaching the end of September, and it’s time to give you an update about the Beta transition.

These last 6 months, our teams have been working really hard to provide you with a brand new game:
  • All the architecture of Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem has been remade from scratch
  • Environments, characters, items, creatures, animations, FX, design and art direction are all new and shiny.
  • We now have an enhanced code, which means fixing and optimizing will be easier for us, and hotfixes will come faster for you!
We plan to deploy the Beta in several patches over time, starting with stress tests that we need, in order to check our servers’ stability and spot the most important issues related to Multiplayer implementation.

We did our best to achieve everything we promised you and release it for September, but the truth is: it’s not all done yet, and we need a little more time to make a clean and polished Beta release for everyone. For that, we’re once again calling for your help.
Starfield Teaser Trailer Analysis:What Does It Tell Us?
Bethesda, one of the original “When it’s done” studios revealed officially what we’ve known for so long this past E3 when we saw the teaser for Starfield. The first new IP creation right out of Bethesda in nearly a quarter of a century is expected to take their fans to brave new frontiers beyond the furthest stars. While there’s a ton of potential for the game, it might as well be as out of reach as those same stars, since there’s nothing more for the game than the fact it exists and that there’s a brief, not even 30 second teaser for it.

Now, a sub-30 second trailer is hardly much for an analysis, especially this long after every youtube creator with a pulse has tore it down frame by frame. I don’t intend to repeat them by suggesting that the planet is Earth. But even without more to go on, we can count on one thing to intuit some details about the game. Bethesda themselves! The house that Elder Scrolls built has more than a few elements which you could almost consider signatures, and elements from the trailer suggest a few ways in which Bethesda could be leaning on or breaking some of those.
--

Couchpotato

Basement Dweller

September 24th, 2018, 21:49
Any time I read Disco Elysium, I must think of the Crypt Of The NecroDancer.
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

September 25th, 2018, 02:42
Dragon Quest XI Modders Fix the Game's "Worst' Feature"
Dragon Quest XI is a damn good video game. Along with dozens of other outlets, Twinfinite scored the game among our highest rated titles of the year, celebrating its gorgeous visuals, innovative turn-based battle system, and generally reveling in its charming world. But if there’s one aspect to the experience that has driven me absolutely insane over the course of my first twenty hours with the game, it’s that damn MIDI-soundtrack. Thanks to a new PC mod, though, my ears –and my sanity– might finally get some respite.
Dark Souls: Remastered - Keep calm (Nintendo Switch)

loading…
Prepare for tough challenges ahead, and play Dark Souls: Remastered anytime, anywhere, when it strikes Nintendo Switch on October 19th.
OnlySP's Favorite Games— Valkyria Chronicles
Valkyria Chronicles is a game of rare personality, and this trait manifests most strongly through its characters. Individuals often take a backseat in the story of strategy games, which instead focus on intrigues and the struggle against the external threat, but Sega humanised war in a way that few developers had done before or have since.
Grinding Gear Games released patch 3.4.3 for Path of Exile
Today we deployed 3.4.3, which contained some large changes to how Sulphite is acquired and how Delves are costed.

Our model (based on live gameplay data) showed that the changes in 3.4.3 would result in 25% more Delving for the average player who was playing at a given tier of maps.

The place where this breaks down is for players whose map base is insufficient for the depth they are playing at. We were assuming that players were playing at approximately the equivalent depth in the mine that corresponded to the same difficulty in the atlas.
--

Couchpotato

Basement Dweller

September 25th, 2018, 03:43
Make of it what you will, but there's a rumor going around on the Codex that Larian has acquired the Baldur's Gate license.
--
Currently Playing: Heroine's Quest, Quest For Infamy, Planescape: Torment

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

September 25th, 2018, 03:53
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
Make of it what you will, but there's a rumor going around on the Codex that Larian has acquired the Baldur's Gate license.
You mean this thread - http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index…f-gent.123972/

Anyway I usually don't believe rumor's but they sometimes come true. Two things I would hate if true is Baldur's Gate going turn-based combined with Larian's bad writing.

Well three if you count how they like to inject humor in games. Anyway I doubt it will have anything to do with the old games as a lot has changed since 2nd Edition D&D.
--

Last edited by Couchpotato; September 25th, 2018 at 04:05.

Couchpotato

Basement Dweller

+1:

September 25th, 2018, 04:06
Yeah, it's not really something that would interest me anyway as I'm not much of a Baldur's gate fan (though there are some things I like about those games). While I do greatly prefer tactical turn-based to RTwP combat, I don't like how Larian does it in D:OS with the elemental goo everywhere, nor do I care for their over the top silly humor. Still I guess if it turns to be true this might be exciting to people who are fans of both BG / Forgotten Realms and Larian.
--

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

September 25th, 2018, 17:41
Divinity: Original Sin Documentary Trailer - Gameumentar

loading…
--

Couchpotato

Basement Dweller

September 25th, 2018, 17:48
@daveyd the more I think it might be possible given that Swen's ultimate goal is to make an RPG that dwarfs everyone, and Baldur's Gate would be perfect for that.

I believe a few Ex- BioWare veterans are now working for the studio also.
--

Couchpotato

Basement Dweller

September 25th, 2018, 18:00
The Codexians seem to be excited. They've pressed every one of the buttons on their button parade.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

September 25th, 2018, 19:39
Valkyria Chronicles 4 was released on Steam today.

Hi Valkyria fans!

Happy launch day! Valkyria Chronicles 4 is finally here! Thanks for the community support and to everyone who has waited so patiently for us to release on Steam.

If you pre-ordered, your 'Captainless Squad' DLC will appear in your Steam library and download automatically.

Take it to the enemy, soldiers!
loading…
Valkyria Chronicles 4 takes place in the same timeframe as the original Valkyria Chronicles, but focuses on Squad E of the Federation and their fight against the East Europan Imperial Alliance. Check out what critics have been saying about Squad E's journey through the second Europan War
--

Couchpotato

Basement Dweller

September 25th, 2018, 19:42
Pathfinder: Kingmaker was released on Steam.

loading…

loading…
With the help of over 18,000 Kickstarter backers, Narrative Designer Chris Avellone and composer Inon Zur, Owlcat Games is proud to bring you the first isometric computer RPG set in the beloved Pathfinder tabletop universe. Pathfinder: Kingmaker puts you in the role of a brave adventurer fighting to survive in a world beset by magic and evil! Take on the role of a canny fighter hacking through enemies with an enchanted sword, a powerful sorceress blessed with magic by the hint of demon blood in her veins, a wise cleric of gods benevolent or malignant, a witty rogue ready to defuse even the deadliest of traps, or any of countless other heroes. The only limit is your imagination!
--

Couchpotato

Basement Dweller

September 26th, 2018, 01:02
Would that conflict with beamdog ?

Originally Posted by daveyd View Post

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

September 26th, 2018, 02:28
Originally Posted by you View Post
Would that conflict with beamdog ?
I've also heard Beamdog no longer has the BG license.
--

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

September 26th, 2018, 11:26
SEGA / ATLUS Game EGX Showcase Panel

loading…
SEGA/ATLUS are at EGX presenting upcoming titles, including Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise, the high-intensity action-adventure RPG based on the beloved manga, developed by the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio behind the acclaimed Yakuza series. Also on show are EGX exclusive demos for Persona 3: Dancing In Moonlight & Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight, featuring new content for Persona and Rhythm game fans a-like!
EGX Panel -Thoughts on Game Genre & Narrative Genre

loading…
Jeff Spock, writer on the Endless series of strategy games for Amplitude, explains how to write for genre, and the difference between literary genre and game genre. How can narrative and theme shape level design? How can you avoid confusing players? A must-see for game writers of any experience.
Fallen Gods Update #8:Violence
Like many kids drawn to fantastical settings, I grew up taking comfort in the way fantasy situates violence within a moral plan. Fantasy novels are chock-full of bullied young protagonists, last survivors of near-universal slaughter, and heroes who seem helpless and hopeless against villainous might. This suffering is not just a preamble to, but a prerequisite for, later salvation. It is not merely that the wicked are punished and victims avenged; those who have been wronged find themselves, Job-like, even richer than before. (As a boy, I entirely believed that, say, Luke Skywalker could somehow be more than compensated for the trauma of coming home to the still-smoldering corpses of his murdered family. But it turns out that old wounds only ache worse as the years go on, and there is no psychic currency with which early losses can be offset by later gains.)
Making History: GWENT Masters’ First Female Competitor
The much anticipated Homecoming revamp is soon to arrive, and with it — fundamental changes to the way we all play GWENT. This marks the next GWENT Masters tournament as truly special. Open #7 will be historic, but not only for that reason. For the first time ever in an official GWENT Masters tournament, we will see a female participant competing for the lion’s share of the $25,000 prize pool.
Bioware’s Anthem has entered Alpha phase
Bioware has announced that Anthem has passed its Alpha milestone, meaning that every part of the game is in, and functioning. As such, the team will now move almost entirely to bug-fixing, testing, and tuning in order to polish its title and have it ready for its February 22nd release.
--

Couchpotato

Basement Dweller

September 26th, 2018, 14:45
The Council Episode 4: Burning Bridges was released on Steam.

loading…
The fourth episode of The Council, the narrative adventure game redefining the genre with RPG mechanics and consequences for every choice, releases today for all Complete Season and Season Pass owners. Episode 4: Burning Bridges sees allegiances explained, rivalries come to a head, and the ghosts of the past begin to catch up to the inhabitants of the island. Your decisions will haunt you as you decide the fate of Louis, Mortimer, and the world itself.
--

Couchpotato

Basement Dweller

September 26th, 2018, 17:34
Hum. THat reminds me what happened to that game consortium ?? The council for some reason keeps reminding me of that game but it seemed to have mostly vanished from the news feeds.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

September 26th, 2018, 17:48
Originally Posted by you View Post
Hum. THat reminds me what happened to that game consortium ?? The council for some reason keeps reminding me of that game but it seemed to have mostly vanished from the news feeds.
The first game Consortium was re-released called the Master Edition.

Link - https://store.steampowered.com/app/264240/CONSORTIUM/

The second Fig funded game called Consortium: The Tower is still in development.

Link - https://store.steampowered.com/app/6…ium_The_Tower/

Latest update says Act 2 was finished. Seems development is going very slowly.
--

Couchpotato

Basement Dweller

Tags
interviews, mods, previews, reviews, videos
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Couchpotato's Random RPG News