Valve Making Games Again

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
To me, the most interesting comment was about hardware:

“We’ve always been a little bit jealous of companies like Nintendo,” Newell said, according to PC Gamer’s visit to Valve. “When Miyamoto is sitting down and thinking about the next version of Zelda or Mario, he’s thinking what is the controller going to look like, what sort of graphics and other capabilities. He can introduce new capabilities like motion input because he controls both of those things. And he can make the hardware look as good as possible because he’s designing the software at the same time that’s really going to take advantage of it. So that is something we’ve been jealous of, and that’s something that you’ll see us taking advantage of subsequently.”

I wonder what that means.

It means they are more impressed with sales of cheap gimmicks that belong to garbage than new actual PC tech like upcoming realtime raytracing.

I don't know… It's just speculation, but looking at everything they're doing, I might place a bet on seeing them reboot the Steam Machine concept, and launch their own hardware platform.

If they think of adding some serious power and modern tech into it that would be awsome news.
But if it'll be again some amateurish architecture where external USB HDD is faster than internal SSD, then they can rot.

It means they are more impressed with sales of cheap gimmicks that belong to garbage than new actual PC tech like upcoming realtime raytracing.

As opposed to being impressed with needless graphical enhancement #1568?

Opposed to what?
I care about what Valve should care much more than I do as it earns them billions.
PC.

So now we have 3 different consoles, next-gen we will have 4?

Possibly, but as it would be Linux-based, everyone could set up compatible Linux PCs, so it would be an open ecosystem. If they succeeded, we would likely see Linux support for games become standard, with older games well-supported on WINE, and then things could get interesting for Microsoft's monopoly on the desktop.

Never was a big fan of Valve games. The first Half-Life was a good shooter, but that's about it.

Portal was a fun 4-5 hour distraction, but I didn't feel there was enough there for a sequel.

There's something off about Valve and their approach to games and things in general. Considering how much money they must have - I find it disturbing how little of value they're actually putting out there.

Everything seems about themselves and about representing a certain kind of "personality" - and not about actually contributing with something great.

Not that they're obligated, in any way, to do so - but I just find the whole company incredibly underwhelming.

Maybe I'm missing something, though.

As for the Linux vs Windows "thing" - I consider that a residue of the 90s that a few people apparently still get stuck on. What a massive waste of time and energy, as far as I'm concerned - but to each his own.

To me, it's like iOS versus Android. Pointless debate.

To me, the most interesting comment was about hardware:

I wonder what that means.

It means the Steam console they are working for / with for years now.

The next games will be exclusively tied to it.

It means the Steam console they are working for / with for years now.

The next games will be exclusively tied to it.

You never know, but I'd be quite surprised if they went the closed-platform route. For one thing, all this Linux-based tech they're investing in is under the GPL, which would make it very difficult to close the platform. They would have been better off going with BSD, as the Playstation did, if that was their intention.

I think it's more likely they will continue with their pitch that the strength of the PC has always been it's an open platform, and that it's in danger of becoming closed under Microsoft.

Opposed to what?
I care about what Valve should care much more than I do as it earns them billions.
PC.

Well, to me real-time raytracing is a gimmick too. (And not a cheap one.) Though thankfully it doesn't affect gameplay much since it's tied to the GPU and not the CPU.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom