If Baldur's Gate were released today

But that's ok I guess since I don't understand people loving Dark Eye/Drakensang either.

I'm surprised you don't love Drakensang. Have you tried the games? They are more German-ish but close to D&D stuff and lots of interesting RPG mechanics and solid ruleset. I'd rate them a step above PoE and probably DA:O although it's because Drakensang is much nerdier with the stats and ruleset and I like that. :p

I'm surprised you don't love Drakensang. Have you tried the games? They are more German-ish but close to D&D stuff and lots of interesting RPG mechanics and solid ruleset. I'd rate them a step above PoE and probably DA:O although it's because Drakensang is much nerdier with the stats and ruleset and I like that.
I'm with purpleblob sorry Fluent.:(

As all three Drakensang feel incomplete. If only they had a proper publisher who gave Radon Labs more time, and funding my opinion might have been better.

Bottom line I see failed potential as the games can be enjoyable.

Let's not forget that PoE and Kingmaker, among ohers, do exist because BG was released first, many years Ago.

Excellent point there!! :)

Alrik and Fluent.

Yes, played Drakensang. I don't think rules were well explained and the game felt incomplete as Couch mentioned. Suffice to say it didn't keep my attention for more than a couple of hours.

Also, I care about things beyond just combat and character building :p Drakensang just didn't grab me at all.

I hear you. I loved the 2 games but I didn't finish either, but got very far in the first and somewhat far in the 2nd before getting distracted. I like things beyond character building too but a juicy ruleset makes it all the sweeter for me. :)

Uhhh, BG 2 was re-released in 2013 in the enhanced edition. 84% positive reviews.

Okay, how about NWN then? That game had a ton of level up options that would confuse newcomers.

73% positive. That was released this year!

But you are on to something I've gone on about in the past: Steam reviews are as much about marketing accuracy as they are about the game itself. If the marketing and/or word of mouth is such that a lot of people buy the game that would never have liked it no matter how high the quality then the Steam score suffers.

But you are on to something I've gone on about in the past: Steam reviews are as much about marketing accuracy as they are about the game itself. If the marketing and/or word of mouth is such that a lot of people buy the game that would never have liked it no matter how high the quality then the Steam score suffers.

Very true. But it was marketed properly and still suffered in scores. I still think there's more to it. Paradox games get praised for complexity but when an RPG does it it's broken and unbalanced. Ah well. Lots of people seem to be playing which is cool.

If BG was released today for the first time exactly as it was released 1998 it would be panned and would receive very poor sale and BG-2 would never have been. Even today BG has some interesting tidbits but the package as a whole is underwhelming by today standards (not to mention cost are way up and market more split across different types of games - simply because many games made today could not have been made in 1998).
-
BG lives on memories but by todays standard it is lacking. If there was a modern BG then it would be a different game and I can't begin to judge how well it would perform in the market but most party base rpg do not do that well and depend on a low production budget. Only a few have brought in huge $$$ and can justify a good size budget.

In my opinion, that Drakensang "felt incomplete" was also - imho - in part the fault of the international publisher. THQ was never interested in that game.

By the way, to me, it's only 2 games - the second having an add-on, shortly before Radon Labs went bancrupt. And dtp nearly, too.

I still do blame Dragon Age 1 for this - and the marketing promise that "Dragon Age is the spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate".

Both were published at roughly the same time - and the Dragon Age marketing cearly overwhelming everything. Plus, people were very hyped to "finally be able to play an [spiritual] successor of Baldur's Gate" (my formulation).

Edit : By the way, as far as I know, there are no plans for an PC game with the new 5th Edition of the TDE rules set.

Wha?

That is NOT aiming for Baldur's Gate nostalgia!

Dragon Age, during development, was indeed hyped as the spiritual successor to BG. And then EA bought up Bioware a year or two before launch.

Dragon Age Origins was great in its own way. Not as good as Baldur's Gate, but there was definitely some tributes to and a big influence from Baldur's Gate going on within it.

Regarding Alrik, it sounds like he just doesn't understand D&D, or never played it. Most of us who are rpg fanatics here in the West grew up playing D&D, and so loved the ruleset of Baldur's Gate, that was indeed part of its main draw in the first place. That it was a brand new rpg with a hardcore system following closely to D&D rules, in a shiny new game engine.

Alrik sounds like he much preferred German type rpg games instead, based on very different rules. Pretty obscure stuff to many of us, at least in the United States.

You really think the people pining for Baldur's Gate can push it into Very Positive territory by themselves?

The EE versions were bought in majority by people who loved the originals, not randoms who never bothered in ~20 years to buy the games.

They also don't have that amazing sales (pre Steamspy being useless, they were around 500k for BG2, a lot less for BG1 and all the others).

Just wanted to drop in to mention that Drakensang River of Time was an excellent game.

I didn't like the first one due to fetch quests, long ways with slow running speed combined with these stupid fetch quests and...walls of text.

The second one (River of Time) was much better in these regards and...as the discussion is just going on in another thread: with voice acting.

The Expansion of the second was then horrible. And the Drakensang MMO thing has nothing to do with Drakensang but the developers butchering the name for a different purpose.

Oh...and I would probably have given Baldurs Gate a high 70 low 80 rating back then.

I remember that I was very enthusiastic in the beginning, was disappointed about the bad multiplayer which it offered, didn't like the story a whole lot, I found a way to exploit the combat quite a bit so the balancing was kinda meh, and well...it was the game which started my crusade against RTwP combat. ^^

For me Dark Sun was always the better Baldur's Gate. :)

Must be the German thing :p ;)

I found BG a lot more vibrant, interesting and fun ^-^

Back
Top Bottom