Underworld Ascendant - Interview

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame spotted an interesting video-interview about Underworld Ascendant at Worthplaying:

'Underworld Ascendant' - New Screens & Trailer

Featuring interviews from writer/director Joe Fielder, studio director Warren Spector and founder Paul Neurath, the behind-the-scenes video offers insight into the creative inspiration behind the robust fantasy realm that is The Stygian Abyss.

More information.

Yes, please.

I liked everything I heard in the video, start to finish.

Hmm the real true homage to ultima not touched by Richard garriott...heh the humor in that.

Funny enough no news story on launch day for Shroud hahaha. It's broken btw, chat doesn't work with NPC's for me.

I have a key that I think I received sometime last night, but I'm in no hurry to use the bloody thing. I suspect it will need fifty plus patches simply to be a viable product, let alone worth playing. I'm assuming you are inquiring about Shard, and not Underworld =p

I have a key that I think I received sometime last night, but I'm in no hurry to use the bloody thing. I suspect it will need fifty plus patches simply to be a viable product, let alone worth playing. I'm assuming you are inquiring about Shard, and not Underworld =p

No, I'm talking about Underworld. After all this time, there's still nothing playable for backers?

Ahhh for Underworld. If I remember right, I think a pre-alpha started in August or so, or maybe even earlier. I know I got an invite but this is another I wouldn't touch till the baking is done.

This looks like a crappier version of the amazing Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.

Hmm the real true homage to ultima not touched by Richard garriott…heh the humor in that.

The idea that Garriot had anything to do with the original Underworld is hilarious enough. The reason that the Ultima connection is there at all is due to the studio's need to find a publisher at the time, they weren't trying to make an Ultima game.

This looks like a crappier version of the amazing Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.

I'm not sure Arkane would be as enthusiastic to make that comment given how much of an inspiration Underworld and Paul Neurath was to them.

Not gonna lie, everyone at the office LOVES Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. We used it as one of our big jumping off points in terms of "fun" and combat, as well as for the improvisation engine. We're glad there's a comparison being made, but we think UA will also be able to stand on its own.

Not gonna lie, everyone at the office LOVES Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. We used it as one of our big jumping off points in terms of "fun" and combat, as well as for the improvisation engine. We're glad there's a comparison being made, but we think UA will also be able to stand on its own.

Don't mind Mercy, that comment is almost a compliment coming from him. I think it's looking prefectly fine and influences from DMoM&M is never a bad thing.

G'day there Sam, a belated warm welcome to the 'Watch to you. Glad you joined up. :)

I quite like Dark Messiah as well - I bought a collectors edition I remember just after I bought my second to last PC. I've said it many times here before, but the game remains the benchmark for me as far as first person melee systems go in genre related RPG environments. Thus as TomRon mentions, an influence to a point on UA is quite welcome.

Dark Messiah was 'fun' but I think over-rated. It was never really finished or balanced and it was short. Mind you a AAA version of Dark Messiah with the resources to fully flush out the balance and story would have be great but the game itself, while it broke new grounds in a fun way, would not (imho) measure up to some of the better first person games of today.

Back
Top Bottom