Kingmaker - Free Bloody Mess DLC

You speak for yourself, but, in the other hand, a lot of gamers are put off by the lack of blood and gore, myself included. Yes, in fantasy too. More blood, please!

By the way, the content is optional. Your rant doesn't even make sense as all you have to do is just refrain from downloading the dlc.

As for the game, it's a buggy mess and should not have been launched in this state. It's like selling broken goods and, unfortunately, this will probably pave the way to this company's downfall. A mixed or lower rating on steam is disastrous nowadays.

Sorry, but I can't see much humour in adding blood and realism into a Fantasy game. Is this going to be Hitman or Conan, with its blood fountains, or what ?

Sorry, but apart from Monty Python I'm unable to see much "humour" in adding blood.

There's enough blood in RL, I really don't need that in games. Last night a drunk 26-year old driver crashed wish his car into a building entrance, killing a 69-year old homeless woman who was sleeping there. He drove home, and then called the police. Considering this, I really don't want blood in my games.

@Alrik Fassbauer;
The joke is not directly about blood, it's a pun.

"bloody" is also used in english as negative amplification. So "bloody mess" is similar to "awful mess" or "damn mess". It's a way to describe that something went awfully wrong.

So they are not directly joking about the blood, they are admitting (in a humorous manner) that the technical status of their product is very messy right now.

You speak for yourself, but, in the other hand, a lot of gamers are put off by the lack of blood and gore, myself included. Yes, in fantasy too. More blood, please!

By the way, the content is optional. Your rant doesn't even make sense as all you have to do is just refrain from downloading the dlc.

As for the game, it's a buggy mess and should not have been launched in this state. It's like selling broken goods and, unfortunately, this will probably pave the way to this company's downfall. A mixed or lower rating on steam is disastrous nowadays.
The sales of the game around release and 1 week after were very good. And once the game is patched up, I am sure it will also do well on steam discounts for a few years.

They made less than one million dollars in Kickstarter. For that price what they've done is a miracle. Did they have additional funding?
Yes, they had. The game was "complete" before the campaign. KS money was for additional features.

Let's hope so. We need more high quality RPGs out there, and this can be one of them, provided that the bugs get squashed eventually.

The sales of the game around release and 1 week after were very good. And once the game is patched up, I am sure it will also do well on steam discounts for a few years.

Sorry, but I can't see much humour in adding blood and realism into a Fantasy game. Is this going to be Hitman or Conan, with its blood fountains, or what ?

Sorry, but apart from Monty Python I'm unable to see much "humour" in adding blood.

There's enough blood in RL, I really don't need that in games. Last night a drunk 26-year old driver crashed wish his car into a building entrance, killing a 69-year old homeless woman who was sleeping there. He drove home, and then called the police. Considering this, I really don't want blood in my games.
I get what you mean. But I think romanticizing killing by leaving out blood is also not the right way.

Last edited:

See Cacheperl's explanation below. I have no idea why you are reacting so sensitively and connecting it to people getting killed. Also, DLC is optional. No one is forcing you to install it.

@Alrik Fassbauer;
The joke is not directly about blood, it's a pun.

"bloody" is also used in english as negative amplification. So "bloody mess" is similar to "awful mess" or "damn mess". It's a way to describe that something went awfully wrong.

So they are not directly joking about the blood, they are admitting (in a humorous manner) that the technical status of their product is very messy right now.

Well in @Alrik Fassbauer; defense he has shared his opinion many times on this forum about his dislike of dark themes in games. He prefers more colorful non-violent games.

Nothing wrong with that, but yes this DLC is optional. You don't have to download it.

And Dark Eye isn't bloody/violent??? I'm sorry but there are hardly any RPGs that doesn't include violence.

I don’t think it’s a black and white issue. I mean, a fully realistic portrayal of brutal medieval melee violence would probably be quite unappealing to most people. The screaming, the crying, the begging. People holding in their entrails, clinging to their severed limbs, and crawling around for several minutes as the flies descend on them. The agonies and spasms of people burning alive, which can take a while.

Or, you could have a little sword-waving animation, and a few floating numbers above someone’s head. I can completely understand people who would prefer that gentler abstraction. There is a quite a difference between conflict play, and graphic simulation of conflict.

I don’t think it’s a black and white issue. I mean, a fully realistic portrayal of brutal medieval melee violence would probably be quite unappealing to most people. The screaming, the crying, the begging. People holding in their entrails, clinging to their severed limbs, and crawling around for several minutes as the flies descend on them. The agonies and spasms of people burning alive, which can take a while.

Or, you could have a little sword-waving animation, and a few floating numbers above someone’s head. I can completely understand people who would prefer that gentler abstraction. There is a quite a difference between conflict play, and graphic simulation of conflict.

I see what you mean. It seems I have been desensitised to blood compared to Alrik. Too many horror movies as kid I guess :)

I would hope the blood and gore would be an option setting, as it is in many other games.

See above as I couldn't have put it any better.

I do think Alrik is completely right to have his opinion and like the potato mentioned Alrik has made it clear many times before he thinks games are over gorified.

He plays games not for the dark ambiance but to be different to real life.

I personally want games to be games but I don't mind a bit of blood.
As ripper said, I woud not want to go through torture really and that's one of the reasons I never bought inquisitor.

Everyone has different thresholds for what they think is OK in games.

When I am using a sword in Elex, I am quite happy to not see limbs flying around and if it were there I would maybe not play the game.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I would hope the blood and gore would be an option setting, as it is in many other games.

It is. One option to turn Blood OFF/ON, and one option to have critters come out of slain opponents instead of gore (rabbits, corgis, etc.).

It needs another 6 months in the oven for sure. It's fine if you take it at face value (although you will still hit bugs in the later chapters) but if you know Pathfinder or are a someone who likes to understand how the underlying mechanics work the bugs are almost intolerable right from the get go. Still a whole lot of display and feat errors. Probably at least half of the bugs I raised during beta are still unfixed and some worse ones have been introduced (my poor alchemist actually lost the use of his bombs).

If you want a relativity bug free experience then play are a fighter, barbarian, ranger or rogue. They seem to have the least issues from what I have seen. Paladin is okay as well but they have had some issues with LoH/Divine Channels.

Well, I often play as either a cleric or a dwarven "engineer" (fighter/rogue) when I play the tabletop game, so it sounds like I might play the latter during my first playthrough. Thanks for the tip!

Get what you mean but I don't think the DLC has that level of gore and violence.

See above as I couldn't have put it any better.

I do think Alrik is completely right to have his opinion and like the potato mentioned Alrik has made it clear many times before he thinks games are over gorified.

He plays games not for the dark ambiance but to be different to real life.

I personally want games to be games but I don't mind a bit of blood.
As ripper said, I woud not want to go through torture really and that's one of the reasons I never bought inquisitor.

Everyone has different thresholds for what they think is OK in games.

When I am using a sword in Elex, I am quite happy to not see limbs flying around and if it were there I would maybe not play the game.

Don't remember saying he doesn't have right to his own opinion :) I just thought he's reaction was rather sensitive, linking DLC that adds a bit of blood to people getting killed in RL. I don't like game for dark ambiance either. And again, this is DLC, he can make his own decision whether he wants it or not.

I think Alrik perhaps has more of an issue with other people having this kind of show blood option available and having blood and gore in their games, as I think he believes it leads to violence in real life and so on. Which has never been proven scientifically, with almost all the studies showing no solid evidence of a link. And yea, it's a ridiculous overreaction to comparing blood in a video game to someone in real life getting killed. Hysterical reactions are hard to take seriously.

Back
Top Bottom