Just got fiber internet - quite a difference

One thing I find quite irksome here in the US is how the price can be one thing, and yet the bill is something else, once they add in all their collective fees for this and that. When I'm quoted a price, THAT is what I expect to pay. Look, I worked as a loan officer in a credit union for years, if I told home owners they'd be paying seven hundred a month for their mortgage, yet billed them eight hundred, I'd not lasted a week.

Is your employer paying then or are you self employed?

I work from home too now :)

As far as I know my employer enables it but I have to pay it. I wish they paid it tho. :lol:

You should try to get in touch with them tho, they didn't ask me to contact my company or anything, I just said I needed it to WFH and they just sent me the router.

I live in rented apartment about four years ago they upgraded the connections in all of their houses so since then I have had a Gb connection for about 15 $ a month

As in $15 Dollars? That's incredibly cheap for such a fast connection. You guys have it good over there. :)

As in $15 Dollars? That's incredibly cheap for such a fast connection. You guys have it good over there. :)

They own a lot of houses so they could probably get a good price also it is in a university town that is one of the two tophubs (or whatever it is called) in Sweden so we have always had and demanded great connections here, I have had fiber since 96 when I lived in student housing which is one year before I got my first computer

Back in 1996 I remember it was slow as molasses dial-up. Just remembering the phone bill makes me grind my teeth. Still can't stand "you got mail" as AOL was king.

When I finally got my first computer which was not that great I remember it was far faster to open webpages and downloading files than finding and open them in explorer

Off course after a while all the other students had computers as well so the speed got quite a bit lower but there was a short golden time where the infrastructure was far more capable than the machines using it

Yea, I am suspicious already of what my bill will actually be. They quoted me a $65 a month price, and said its a special discount and ad promotion from the usual $85 a month price. And they said they would let me "lease" their fancy new modem for free. We will see what the actual price is when they bill me. I won't be surprised to all of a sudden see extra charges that they 'forgot" to tell me about, or some sort of "modem monthly lease fee" or something.

That said, I may be just too cynical, as centurylink apparently has a good reputation with consumers overall, at least when compared to other outfits.

Ah yes the $15 a month modem rental fee. Bend over more please.:lol:

I love the various telecom and broadband taxes for your state as well.

So that $65 becomes almost $100 a month.:greedy:

In Sweden as far as i know which is mostly my mother and a few friends who is living out in the countryside it can get very expensive to get fiber to your house but after that the tariffs are very cheap
Offcourse the fact that you have fiber will raise the value of your house so that is what they are wrestling with
I don´t know what the costs are in the north of Sweden where the houses are few and the distances are enormous but I do know that the government try to subsidies it and it is an ongoing project and that are a lot of people in far out places who are pissed that they haven´t got it yet
I think Norway is better there but the pibbur have to answer that
Sweden is not as rich as Norway but there has been a state sponsored effort to build out internet access since the early 90s and as far as I can tell it has payed of even if Ericsson flunked there is a lot of succesfull It companies and the fact that a farmer in the rural north want to have the same connectivity that the Sami have is quite nice

Ps 1
The Sami (some of them) adopted the technology very early to keep track of their reindeers
Ps 2
I know by far to little about the politics in the north the furthest I have been is Östersund which is about halfway but as with any encroachment on indigenous lands it is a lot about logging, hunting fishing and mining
Ps 3
Sweden is usually regarded as the most secular country in the world but until the late 70s they still forced Sami children to live in boarding school where the curriculum where only to learn about jesus and christianity and to shut up
Ps 4
I have an uncle who is deaf he was also sent to sent to a boarding school in the early 60s where he was thaught far to much about the bible and they rapped his finger everytime he used sign language

ds 1:
I am sorry
I have been to a family thing and then I have imbued a lot more
I am feeling old, lonely and drunk
Perhaps I should look up that Q thing

Last edited:
I lived in a baud world until the year 2000….and oh my, how everything changed!! Suddenly I stopped going LD in Everquest for the first time, lol. Before that all I had was a separate phone line. Most of these rascals nowadays might not even know what that dirty word "baud" even is….or was!

I know baud but I only had to experience it with my friends who had amigas or mac classic which was the computers of the time

Back
Top Bottom